Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Southern Calif Wildfires?

I work out here near the massive wildland fires (we sent two engines). What do you guys/gals on the East coast think of the news reports and video of these large fires? Would you want to respond to something like this? If the local resources needed help would you be willing to go? I don't think you experience this type of thing there?

There are about 1,950 firefighters on the line.
    62 hand crews
    181 engines
    9 tankers (aircraft)
    12 helos
    18 dozers
    20 water tenders

Forum Member

22 views and no replies? I think I can then guess what people think!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default calif wlf

Im from the east coast, Chesapeake Va. to be exact. we currently have six members red card certified and wanting to go put their training to use. I'm the Urban Interface Coord. for the city and willing to get some first hand experience. Mandatory overtime prohibits us from getting on the VA crew for rotation 7/19-7/29, perhaps later this yr. or next.

Forum Member

You can keep that stuff on the West Coast. The last report I heard said that the temps were supposed to be in the triple digit range this weekend, plus all that fire burning around you as you HIKE around the mountain. I don't envy ya'll one bit! Nor do I envy the folks down in Florida who get decent sized wildfires with their humidity!! Stay safe out there.
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Forum Member

FTMPTB15: You are so right, it isn't fun! But ya gotta admit it is pretty impressive!

BTW, I was with the Jacksonville Volunteer Rescue Squad back in 77-78. I worked with a guy here in San Diego who was Chief of Pumpkin Center VFD way back then...

Forum Member

I am in Idaho, I have enough problems with my own wildfires without worrying about your urban-interface nightmare

Forum Member

Latest is that the two fires merged this afternoon. More resources arrived from out of State:

New statistics for Sawtooth and Millard fires
    July 14, 8:17 p.m.
    Sawtooth:

59,000 acres scorched.
    35 percent contained
    2,896 firefighters are involved in the battle.

Millard:
    10,000 acres scorched.
    5 percent contained.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by devildog4
    FTMPTB15: You are so right, it isn't fun! But ya gotta admit it is pretty impressive!

BTW, I was with the Jacksonville Volunteer Rescue Squad back in 77-78. I worked with a guy here in San Diego who was Chief of Pumpkin Center VFD way back then...
    It certainly is impressive, especially the night shots of the fire.

Pumpkin Center.. if I'm not mistaken there are two Pumpkin Center VFDs in NC! Imagine that... The in Lincoln County has some "nice" blue trucks!!

Forum Member

This one was Onslow County...

Forum Member

Then it was this one... http://pumpkincentervfd.tripod.com/

I really feel bad for the people whose property is in danger. They showed an interview with a couple and they said, "Both of our cars are packed and ready to go, we've already decided what stays and what goes with us.." I would hate to decide what I could take with me... especially since they only had 2 small sedans!

The only way I'd live out there (in an area prone to those huge fires) is if I had a single-wide or something mobile (an RV). If a fire comes, "Honey, back the rig on up... we're getting outta here.."

Forum Member

I must point out that with proper clearing and preparation that any house should be able to stand on its own against fire. Clearing away the flammable vegetation and watering the grass as well as making wise choices with regards to building material should make it so that no fire department intervention is necessary. IOW everyone should be responsible for his own house, not the fire department....

Birken

Forum Member

Even with clearing flammables away from a fire-resistant structure there is always a threat. To think otherwise is naive.

The fire department IS responsible. That is what we get paid for!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BirkenVogt
    everyone should be responsible for his own house, not the fire department....
    I'm guessing that he means that everyone should be responsible for clearing the brush away from around their house and not wait for the fire department to do so while fighting a brush fire in the area. That's just what I'm guessing.. I could be wrong! I could see his point there, but I agree Devildog4.. the fire department is responsible to protect those houses, whether they took the time to clear their land or not.

Any reports of injuries? I'm sure there have been the regular heat-related problems and dehydration issues, especially in that heat.

Forum Member

Even with clearing flammables away from a fire-resistant structure there is always a threat. To think otherwise is naive.

The fire department IS responsible. That is what we get paid for!
    Is the fire dept responsible? Definitely No!!!!

You are responsible for your own life and property.

Clear 100ft breaks around your own dwelling before the start of summer.

Evavuation should occur well before any fire threatens or approaches.

Bad enough driving a tanker with several hundred galls of water around a fire scene let alone a petrol powered car. How often do we find people evacuating at the last minute only to be cooked a little way down the road after they run into a tree while driving through thick smoke.
    Disclaimer
    These views are my own and not of either my brigade or any other organisation.

Forum Member

I meant the FD was responsible for fire protection EVEN IF the owner chose not to clear vegetation...

Forum Member

So I just heard on the news that another wildfire started today in CA, possibly the result of lightening. Any idea how close it is to the other large fire? They said this new fire had accessibility issues and was being fought from the air (only).

Forum Member

This is the site for the National Interagency Coordination Center

http://www.nifc.gov/nicc/

If you use the link at the top left it will give you the daily situation report in a pdf, this is all the large fires currently burning. It tends to run 24-48 hours behind since it relys on reports coming in from the field.
    Last edited by NonSurfinCaFF; 07-17-2006 at 12:49 AM.

Forum Member

I thought that in Australia you guys (blokes) often had the able-bodied occupants remain to protect their own property?

Anyway my point of the fire department not responsible was this. If a structure is not defensible we will not defend it. If it is cleared properly then it needs no protection. Some places fall in between. Those we have to stand and protect. Which is a real problem because if those people had gone all the way and we didn't have to protect them, then we could be working at controlling the fire.

In general, the government should not have to be responsible for protecting private property from a natural, predictable event.

Birken

MembersZone Subscriber

I meant the FD was responsible for fire protection EVEN IF the owner chose not to clear vegetation...
    My life for a house that the homeowner doesn't care enough about to make it safe for me to defend? HELL NO. Red rock it, next house.

Forum Member

THis topic brings up an interesting point .... the general attitude of the public that "I'm not responsible for firesafety".

This goes beyond the wildfire issue where the homeowner has the choice not to choose combustable landscaping or the homeowner has the choice not to put combustable roofing and siding materials on thier house. If the homeowner chooses not to maintain a defensible space around thier house, i agree that they should be allowed to burn and the FD should concentrate thier efforts on the properties that HAVE attempted to mimimize issue and give us a chance to protect the property.

Thread Information