Thread: my resume

MembersZone Subscriber

Default my resume

do large departments (san antonio, austin, Oklahoma city,) or any other department for that matter check ifsac records what not. the reason i am wondering is becuase i took my ifsac fire fighter one here in oklahoma since i go to school here. but i know it's not really of much benefit to me as i would like to go back home to south texas to fight fire and run an ambulance. however, i didn't pass the ifsac exam, i was the top candidate in the class of 35. i mean i was number one, high scores on all quizes and skills, but i let the buniker gear get me i put it on in a 1 minute and a second the first time and a minute 4 the second time, and i didn't pass(the requirement is 60 seconds or less so if you have a black and white perspective i didn't pass) even though my evaluator saw me the day before putting it on in 45 seconds
    anyways, long story short, i didn't complete the certification or retest within the allotted year because of college and college related activities. every time a test was available, i couldn't attend. what do i put on my resume regarding this, list it as incompleted, don't list it at all? i need some advice
    thanks for all the help that the people on this forum have given me, it really helps

MembersZone Subscriber

My opinion is that i would not put anything about it; you didnt complete the testing to be certified therefore you are not certified. Listing it as "incomplete" would not be necessary in my opinion. However, my opinion is no better than anyone elses and I dont know everything, so anyone else agree or have a different viewpoint? Anyways, good luck in your testing overall!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by IBQwerty21
    My opinion is that i would not put anything about it; you didnt complete the testing to be certified therefore you are not certified. Listing it as "incomplete" would not be necessary in my opinion. However, my opinion is no better than anyone elses and I dont know everything, so anyone else agree or have a different viewpoint? Anyways, good luck in your testing overall!
    I agree. This doing this might also leave them questioning why its incomplete. But i dont think you should put it down.
    "You don't know what a real family is until you spend a day at the firehouse"

Visit my "fire stories blog" here.

Forum Member

Large cities that have their own academy are going to put you through theirs so that you get certified. If you can't pass the course, written tests, and skills tests then you can't get certified. No cert = no job. The dept I currently work for hired 3 certified FFs in my class. Every one of them had to go through the academy.

For background check purposes, mention you were in a fire school and be honest about what happened. Get hired somewhere, pass the fire school, and enjoy your career.

Side note: I noticed in another thread you were interested in testing in Texas. The Texas Commission on Fire Protection, who regulates FF certification, doesn't recognize IFSAC seals as a requirement for certification.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by agavegrove
    Large cities that have their own academy are going to put you through theirs so that you get certified. If you can't pass the course, written tests, and skills tests then you can't get certified. No cert = no job. The dept I currently work for hired 3 certified FFs in my class. Every one of them had to go through the academy.

For background check purposes, mention you were in a fire school and be honest about what happened. Get hired somewhere, pass the fire school, and enjoy your career.

Side note: I noticed in another thread you were interested in testing in Texas. The Texas Commission on Fire Protection, who regulates FF certification, doesn't recognize IFSAC seals as a requirement for certification.
    I agree with the point about mentioning it on your background forms. It is very likely that an investigator would find out somehow that you were in the fire school, and it would look worse if you failed to mention it there. However, i still say dont put in on a resume (i doubt a large department will even want you to submit one unless otherwise noted) just because i generally view a resume as a snapshot of your qualifications, which technically you dont have when it comes to FF certification. Anyways hope that helps some

MembersZone Subscriber

well the tcfp is the governing body of fire fighting certs in texas even though they are an "ifsac state." i'm about to enroll in my tcfp fire fighter course through training division.com many buddies of mine from back home(south texas, i'm only in oklahoma to do the college thing) have taken this academy and all recieved high scores on their state test and said it was the best thing they have done. sure beats the heck out of a 3 month academy at texas a&m or a community college.

Thread Information