Thread: Oakland

Forum Member

Default Oakland

If you're headed for an Oakland oral, keep in mind if part of your answer why you want to work in Oakland is you will get to fight lots of fires, there is usually a civilian member on the panel who probably doesn't want to hear about all the fires in their city.
    Last edited by CaptBob; 07-15-2006 at 12:59 PM.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

One of the major attractions of Oakland, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Miami, Washington DC, San Francisco and every other BIG CITY fire department is the amount of fires you will respond to. You will find that the majority of firefighters will tell you that this is the best part of their job. Please forgive me if I left out your department as I know there are hundreds of other departments who fight a lot of fire.

While extrications may be challenging and medical calls may be intriguing I can tell you that the absolute best thing about my job is the excitement of a good structure fire. Any firefighter in a busy house understands the adrenaline rush that we feel as we are heading to the fire and have a visible header, or loom up. It makes all of the dozens of medical aids and public assists worth it. In fact, if you look at the national averages 90% of the calls that come to the fire department are medical aids.

This is not meant to minimize a department that does not have a lot of firer, rather to admire from a distance the ones who do.

My department gets much more activity than the majority of departments in the state. Our firefighters go on vacation and ride along with departments who have a reputation of fighting a lot of fire. Why? Because it’s exciting and we can learn. It’s our profession and we’re proud of it!

So, if a candidate is not supposed to tell the oral board that one of the things that attracts them to the Oakland (or fill in the blank) fire department, what are they supposed to tell the panel?

I like going on medical aids (Oakland goes on a lot of them)? Following the logic, your advice would be not to tell the board this because the civilian does not want to hear about all of the sick people in the community…………

I encourage you candidates to talk about wanting to work for the Oakland Fire Department because of all of the experience you will get. In my mind this is the reason WHY you would want to work for a MAJOR fire department.

If you doubt my words, ask yourself why so many CURRENT FIREFIGHTERS leave the security of their position and go to work for BIG CITY fire departments? What is it that compels a firefighter to give up his seniority, sick leave, benefits and comfort to start all over again?

I guarantee you that everyone on the panel for Oakland knows about the pride their firefighters take in being good, solid, well-trained firefighters.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Last edited by BCLepore; 07-15-2006 at 02:24 PM.

Forum Member

Default Maybe

The reason I posted this message was a rater on the last Oakland oral board made a posting that the civilian panel members were not happy when candidates used coming to Oakland to fight fires.

Here's the rest of that posting:

From talking to other's that sat on the oral boards, and from knowing a few applicants, the comments heard across the board were these:

1) Total lack of prep by most candidates.
    2) Not enough, or even incorrect city information
    3) lots of "I wanna fight lots of fires" as a reason to come to oakland...not really appreciated by the Oakland citizens on the boards...remember you protect THEIR houses...
    4)Answering question that were LEGAL ones ILLEGALLY... (i.e. buying alchohol on duty etc...)
    5) General lazyness in the manner of answering, and even wearing of shorts to the board !!!!!

Oakland Fire Department

Having this kind of insight can go a long way to help you from stepping on a land mine or two. Now that you have this information are you willing to take the risk of losing points from a civilian member of the panel by mentioning wanting to fight lots of fires?
    Last edited by CaptBob; 07-15-2006 at 08:25 PM.

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Default Update

This from another current posting on the Oakland process:

there will probably be two civilians for each sworn firefighter.

remember that who you are as a person weighs more heavily than the number of fire classes you have taken.

Maturity, composure, life experience will be important. Listen closely to the question, think about your answer, then answer what was asked. Please dont try to reshape the question to a prepared answer.

good luck

With the possiblity of two civilians on a panel only increases your chances of lowering your score by mentioning wanting to fight lots of fires in Oakland.

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

A marine comes out of training. He has gone through basic training, special op’s and specialty training. He is placed before an oral board, and asks for a special assignment in Iraq.

“I have had two years of training as a sniper,” He says. “I cannot wait to put one between the eyes of one of the bad guys”. “It has been a dream of mine since I enlisted to put a .50 through the head of a guy at 500 yards”. “ I came out the highest ranked sniper the school has put out in 5 years and I can’t wait to do the real deal”.

After the interview the raters were talking and one of them was horrified. There had been a civilian on the panel and she was sure that this person was deranged and in need of psychiatric care.

The way we talk among ourselves is very different than the way we should talk in front of civilians that are not familiar with our culture. Do we need people that are excellent snipers? Yes. Do we need people that look forward to running into a burning building? Yes. But to a civilian, it sounds like you are hoping for a person to lose their home.

You need to think about who you audience is and speak accordingly.

Good Luck, Capt Rob
    nrtc@sonic.net
    www.myfireinterview.com
    (707)869-1330

MembersZone Subscriber

I a having a hard time finding any information about Oakland... what are they looking for and does anyone know where i can get it?
    "You don't know what a real family is until you spend a day at the firehouse"

Visit my "fire stories blog" here.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is the link:

http://www.oaklandfiredepartment.org/

Before you go in for your interview it is important to visit the stations and learn about the department.

DO NOT HSOW UP FOR YOUR INTERVIEW WITHOUT DOING SO!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Oakland, CA right?

Did you purposely give a link to a VFD in Oakland, New York? I figured people were talking about Oakland, CA...

MembersZone Subscriber

Default NJ not NY

Oakland, New Jersey rather

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vegas0012
    Did you purposely give a link to a VFD in Oakland, New York? I figured people were talking about Oakland, CA...
    My guess, that had to have been a mistake.. all this talk about a volunteer department in NJ!! Somehow I doubt their 'hiring' process is as intense as Oakland, CA!

Here is Oakland, CA FD's link: http://www.oaklandnet.com/oakweb/fire/index.html
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

MembersZone Subscriber

No, my error. Thanks for the correction.

MembersZone Subscriber

Is it just me, or do you all think we should see a Capt Bob vs. Chief Lepore cage match. Two consultant's enter, one consultant leaves!

I always sense a little competition and maybe even animosity (just a hint) in these threads.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thejdubb02
    I a having a hard time finding any information about Oakland... what are they looking for and does anyone know where i can get it?
    jdubb02,
    This website is for the OFD Fire Prevention Bureau but it has much more information than the main department web site:
    http://www.oaklandnet.com/oakweb/fpb/

Also, check out OFD E-13 website, it is an awsome site with a lot of good info also.
    http://www.oakland13engine.com/

If you took the test or are thinking of doing a lateral transfer, let me know because I am going to file next year and I would like to find out how the process runs.
    Good luck,
    PK

MembersZone Subscriber

I am currently in this process and should hear back from my oral in the next 7-10 days. I found out all i could about ofd and went in knowledgable about the dept.
    this was my first oral as well so i was very nervous but i felt confident i did the best i could. OFD is huge into community service they have numerous programs that take up alot of the depts. off time. that is what initaly sparked my interest in them. it is really nice to see them really go very much above and beyond the call of duty. that is what i talked abouta lot in my oral. good luck everyone

Thread Information