Forum Member

Question ARNG FF - Best Options?

Hey I'm the wife of a MIARNG fire fighter who's been in for 7 years and has done 1 tour over in Iraq. He's talked about going AF but I think because of his age that's not going to be an option anymore. I'm pushing for him to go AD but he's not interested. I've read some of the previous threads about how E-6 is pretty much the cut off with the way some of the NG units are structured and my husband has been stuck at E-4 for about 5 years now even though he has what he needs to be promoted, there just aren't ever any slots. The way the unit is structured now (5 man teams) and the brand new truck, I'm just waiting for the orders to come down for another OIF tour this fall. He's been with this unit since he graduated from Goodfellow so I understand why he's not looking to start over so to speak with another unit in another state. He started pursuing a degree in fire science but only half of his credits transferred over so he'll probably focus on his other major instead. Our state doesn't recognize DoD certs so doing city/county fire fighting isn't an option unless he wants to go back through all the stuff he's already done and at this point he's not really wanting to be a probie again. I think he's in a rut and frustrated big time. I understand him wanting to stay with his unit, but then I wonder if he'll be content not moving up in rank. He didn't want to go AD mainly because he didn't want to be constantly deployed but even in the ARNG I expect him to deploy every 3 years on average, given that it's a time of war. He's always wanted to be an Army fire fighter since childhood but yet when I ask him about doing it full time in the military he says he doesn't want to do that or go back for a new MOS. The reason I'm frustrated is that he's been home since early 2005 and has yet to find full time employment. Either the pay is low or they are looking for a degree so he's back in school full time. It puts alot of the burden on me because I'm pregnant with our second child, have health problems and have to work 40-60 hrs a week to support our family. He applied to go back overseas as a civilian contracted FF but never heard back and this was with the company who actually replaced them when they left Iraq.

Sorry this got so long, but does anybody have any suggestions? I don't know if he's still dealing with PTSD but were in serious danger of losing our home, etc and instead of being the usual stressed out military wife, I'm thinking that AD would offer more stability than the ARNG and while another long deployment would be rough we could definitely use the money.

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Contact me via PM or Email (bbreiler@yahoo.com), I am a member of the MI Air National Guard. Thank you

Forum Member

Is he older than 37??? If not, why not go DoD Civilian??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoFireGuy
    Is he older than 37??? If not, why not go DoD Civilian??
    Because there are no DoD civilian firefighters in northern Michigan. Also, most seem to require Apparatus Operator cert, which he may or may not have yet from the Army.

BTW, I'm guessing he's a member of the 1449th or 1450th at Grayling. I've worked with those guys before. Did he ever do ADSW for the summer at Camp Grayling?

Feel free to PM me. I'm also a civilian career FF in Macomb county, I may be able to give some advice on openings and requirements. Also how to challenge the test for Michigan-which a guy I know is helping to put together right now.

MembersZone Subscriber

check your pm.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv
    Because there are no DoD civilian firefighters in northern Michigan. Also, most seem to require Apparatus Operator cert, which he may or may not have yet from the Army.

BTW, I'm guessing he's a member of the 1449th or 1450th at Grayling. I've worked with those guys before. Did he ever do ADSW for the summer at Camp Grayling?

Feel free to PM me. I'm also a civilian career FF in Macomb county, I may be able to give some advice on openings and requirements. Also how to challenge the test for Michigan-which a guy I know is helping to put together right now.
    You got it and not only that he drills out of Camp Grayling and we're 4 hours south. He's actually with the 1439th and he's 34. He thought about doing ADSW up there but he'd have to stay during the week and come home on weekends and when it came right down to it the money wasn't enough to warrant the drive back and forth. I keep hearing rumors about military FF training being recognized for civilian FF in MI so hopefully soon. Thanks!

Thread Information