Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lightbar on POV

Forum Member

Default Lightbar on POV

I wanted to mount a lightbar on top of my truck. I am a FF and a medic and work for a local volunteer rescue squad.
    Everyone at the department has dashlights/interior lights. I was wondering if there is a law in the state of North Carolina that permits the use of a LIGHTBAR w/o a siren on a POV. Please tell me if you know anything about the North Carolina Statutes!

MembersZone Subscriber

Ask someone at the department, and don't forget to do a search here. The guys at your station are more familiar with the laws of NC and the local laws that are specific to your area than 99% of the people on here.
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

Forum Member

norht carolina will allow you to run a full lightbar and pretty much what ever you want if you're a volunteer firefighter, rescue squad member etc as long as you dont run a siren or blue lights. the only way a volunteer can run a siren is if they are in the position of chief of the department. so go for it as long as your chief give you clearance.

Forum Member

EMTP3412 where are you in north carolina? I"m from brunswick county sta 13 but i am currently attending classes at WCU for a B.S in Emergency management.

Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

heres something that may help people from askign the question "what color can i have?" once and for all this site lists laws for almost all 50 states a few missing but it doesnt answer the siren question hope this helps all
    http://wagnersafety.com/laws.html
    http://www.policeposers.com/laws.html

MembersZone Subscriber

My question is, what is the point of having emergency lights if there is no siren? In Kansas, volunteers can have emergency lights and siren as long as a permit is signed by the Chief and the Emergency Operations Director from the County. You also have to pass a test that covers the legal use of these devices. Are you allowed to use emergency lights with out sirens in NC? In Kansas it is not legal to run emergency lights during a response with out an operating siren. We also can run red, blue, or white lights, must also be seen 360 degrees, but not amber unless it faces the rear only.

Tim- All states are different as far as what is required, who has what rights, and who is just another vehicle on the road. That is why threads like this are so pointless. People need to stop asking someone in another state what is allowed and start looking at their own state's laws and department regulations.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber firefighterbeau's Avatar

I personally would love to run a blue light, but the part of me that is logical has told me to keep the light in the back seat and not run it, sooo many reasons to not run lights and/or sirens in POV. So on my way to the station i make siren noises, and blink my eyes as much as possible to create the effect i have lights and sirens going!

Forum Member

I have a whelen edge 12 strobe bar (all amber) on my POV along with a traffic advisor. but it does double duty as i also plow snow during the winter with it.

Thread Information