MembersZone Subscriber

Default Madison or Milwaukee Hiring?

Does anyone know when either Madison or Milwaukee WI depts will be hiring? Also, anybody that knows anything about their pay, run statistics, or general information about working for them, could you please let me know? Thanks

Mack

the 4-1-4

PM me, or e-mail; I work for Milwaukee and would happy to help you with any questions you may have.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just checking back again, does anyone know when these two departments will be testing, or at least be open to applications? Also, do you know if they allow ride alongs, and where can I get more information. Thanks for the help.

Mack

MembersZone Subscriber

Dec 11 is when Madison will start taking apps.

Anyone know anything about Milwaukee?

Madcityfirefighter

Default Ride along

Madison FD, is currently reviewing and making some changes to there ride along policies.... currently though you have to have had the blood borne pathogens speal (don't know how long that is, maybe 3 hours and I think you can get them locally at one of the Madison Hospitals, or if your an EMT, you have already had it) and you only can run with the paramedics. I have heard the new policy will include riding with an Engine Co. Call 266-4420 for more info ask about ride alongs!

Forum Member

Madison won't be taking applications for about another year, but word is out in the street that Milwaukee may be taking applications soon.

What are people's thoughts on the differences between the Madison and Milwaukee fire departments? Is one harder to get on than the other? I know that they're both good departments, but is one slightly more desirable to work for?
    Until you've been on a Harley-Davidson, you haven't been on a motorcycle

MembersZone Subscriber

From what I know they aren't very similar at all. Milwaukee is MUCH larger than Madison. I think there is actually 3 times as many stations. I'm guessing the call volume is different, but it always depends on which fire house that you are in. Milwaukee has more firefighters so they would end up hiring more than Madison. However, there are probably more applicants. A big difference is the pay. I think Milwaukee is about $34k and Madison is around $48k. They are both good fire depts, but they are different. It's just whatever type of style that you prefer. The large city, or medium sized city. I'm sure some of the guys that work at each can give more specific info.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    Dec 11 is when Madison will start taking apps.

Anyone know anything about Milwaukee?
    Where did you hear that they are taking apps.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sparky,
    I got excited too, but look at the date on the post. It was from last year. Anyway, if you look at Madison's website, they say the next process is late next year or early 2009.

Mack

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by SCSmith View Post
    What are people's thoughts on the differences between the Madison and Milwaukee fire departments? Is one harder to get on than the other? I know that they're both good departments
    I don't know a lot about Madison. I went up and worked in a Madison firehouse last January, so that the members up there could attend the funeral of one of their brothers killed in an accident.
    Honestly, it was a very good feel. We were there at shift change, so we met the oncoming and off going guys. I was very impressed with the guys I met, and the 'guide' we had to help us out. They have their act together over there. They have their problems, but so do we. Over all, the guys we met were very up beat, and very professional. We had a great time helping them out.

Milwaukee does operate more traditionally, and has no quints. There are 36 engine houses in Milwaukee, with 37 engine companies and 16 truck companies.
    Madison has I believe 10 stations, with another house or two in the near future.
    Both places have diverse populations, though Milwaukee has far more diversity than Madison. Remember, Milwaukee is a minority-majority city, and is significantly larger than Madison.
    If you want more fire duty, then Milwaukee would be your choice. Remember though, that not every engine house is busy.

but is one slightly more desirable to work for?

This is a question that you have to answer for yourself. I am biased towards Milwaukee, and have never regretted working here.
    I will honestly say that Madison takes care of their guys better. Their gear, their little perks written into their CBA, and the fact that there is no residency clause. We're working on some of those issues here, though.
    Living in the city here can be a real hardship on guys with a family. You can't send your kids to Milwaukee public schools, unless you don't care about your kids, and their safety or education.
    You will earn more money in Madison, but will see far less fire duty. You will also be able to live anywhere that you want to though, in working for Madison. Here, you have six months to have a city address, from your date of appointment, the first 5 five of which is spent in the recruit school.

Pension is really about equal; they are in the state pension, we're in the city of Milwaukee pension.

Milwaukee and Madison are really cities going in different directions. Milwaukee is a declining city with a soaring crime rate, and it's a city that has virtually lost all of it's industry, and now it's population, to the tune or 7-8% per year. I believe the property tax rate here is higher than the city of Madison's. Madison is growing, significantly. Madison's department is growing, while we have faced line firefighter cuts for the past 5 years, and will continue to do so in the future.

I guess the biggest difference is just the size of departments. Madison has around 300 uniformed, while Milwaukee is around 1100. Both have paramedic programs, both offer special operations, and both offer an urban appeal and feel.

I guess my only advice is to test with both and see what happens, maybe the choice will be made for you.

Anything else you want to know, let me know.
    Last edited by jasper45; 12-07-2007 at 01:32 PM.

Forum Member

I think Milwaukee is about $34k and Madison is around $48k.
    Starting pay for Milwaukee was 34K/year in 2006, but I think it's gone up since then, because Madison started out at the 34K/year too in 2005. $48K/year is more than what Madison firefighters beginning salary is. I looked at Madison's union contract and found that, as of Jan. 1 of this year, firefighters start out at $1,538.97 every two weeks, which comes out to just over $40K/year. That's still not bad at all. I think Milwaukee will be about the same or even just a little more when they hire their next group.
    Until you've been on a Harley-Davidson, you haven't been on a motorcycle

Forum Member

Has anyone heard anything more about Milwaukee starting a hiring process anytime soon? It said on their website that they anticipated taking applications in late spring or early summer of 2008. I saw the same thing that mack did on Madison's website that they're also expecting to start another hiring process in late 2008/early 2009. To get on one of these two departments would really be a dream come true.

MembersZone Subscriber

Milwaukee will be taking apps soon. They want more of a local crowd so they aren't advertising much. They will only be takin apps for only a week. The first class is scheduled for January 09. It will be 60 people. After that they are expecting two more classes from the list of 30 people. There are rumors of switching to the CPAT this year as well as rumors of a normal oral interview instead of the BPAD.

Forum Member

It sounds like you really have the inside scoop on Milwaukee, clark! I'm surprised to hear that they're only taking applications for a week?! That's a much shorter window than most departments have open for applying. About a month seems more common. I'm sure they'll still get plenty of applicants, though. From what you're saying, it sounds like they'll be hiring a lot of firefighters - pretty exciting.

What is the BPAD, anyway?

MembersZone Subscriber

Yea, they want to keep it more local this time. They won't be advertising on tv or the paper. They are expecting 3500-5000 applicants.

The BPAD is the interview that they've run in the past. It's a video interview with scenarios. Here's more info: http://www.bpad.com/

Keep in mind that these are "rumors", but they are most likely true. I have heard this information from two retired Battalion Chiefs of the department. One happens to be the head of the Fire Tech program at the local community college and this is what some recruiters from MFD said when they came in last week.

Forum Member

so with 3500-5000 applicants there are only going to be 120 openings! how does one shine out of so many people? get a perfect score on everything? it almost sounds disheartening. with the state of job opportunities in this city i'm assuming the competition will be stiff.

anyone here competing in the firefighter combat challenge in september?

the 4-1-4

The first class is scheduled for January 09. It will be 60 people. After that they are expecting two more classes from the list of 30 people.

Not so much, I'm afraid. Word is coming down that all recruit classes next year have no funding. There also may not be any money for the testing process; that money comes from a different budget, so who knows.

It's starting to sound really bleak for the near future.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    Not so much, I'm afraid. Word is coming down that all recruit classes next year have no funding. There also may not be any money for the testing process; that money comes from a different budget, so who knows.

Wow, I really can't stand hearing these things anymore. I also heard today that Waukesha(I'm in their process) may have lost their grant for a new station and funding of new firefighters. Seems a lot of cities are struggling with money.

This would really suck if it happens. Milwaukee is a great fire department and I would love to work there. I know you guys lost those 5 positions last year when they down-sized truck staffing.

Well hopefully they keep with the process. Thanks for the update jasper!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post

if the dept doesn't have any money how are they going to train people? if there is no money for testing how are they going to know who to hire? the fire dept should be one of the best funded depts of the city. maybe the aldermen should take a pay cut. they make $70k a year and get a car allowance, and they don't do jack. the more risk you take on the job the less you get paid and the more you're not appreciated. i still want to be a firefighter though. at least there is some honor in it.

the 4-1-4

I also heard today that Waukesha(I'm in their process) may have lost their grant for a new station and funding of new firefighters. Seems a lot of cities are struggling with money.
    Don't get too down, Clark. I spoke with my brother, who works for the City of Waukesha, and that was all just political noise.
    The new station is being built, and is scheduled to open January 1, 2009. They're also still anticipating hiring 9 guys, which should happen sometime around October of this year. Make no mistake about it, Waukesha is not struggling for money.

As far as we go, that's a different story. The word out of the union is that the mayor wants 4.2 million off our budget for next year. The quote from our e-board is that this will be a "dooms-day" budget for us, and will significantly impact our ability to maintain service. This means that companies will be disbanded, maybe houses. Along with a potentially "radical" reorganization of the department.
    It's early in the process, as this is phase 1 of the process. Our chief will now put a budget together for the mayor to see, as will all other city departments. The mayor will then present his plan/budget sometime in late summer, maybe September. Fall is when we will know for sure how deeply we will be cut.

The hiring list process will most likely be put on hold, for now. However, that is done by a different city department, on it's own city budget-so who really knows.
    We do know that the chief is going to take all recruit classes out of his plan for next year, as well as the paramedic classes that were going to be run.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear that staffing may be cut from your department. Like I stated earlier, I would love to work for MFD. I know quite a few guys that work there(friends and teachers) that have so much knowledge that they learned from the MFD.

MembersZone Subscriber

Jasper,
    can you contact me at Jourdan@firehousezone.com?
    Thanks brotha

Forum Member

will the dept be taking apps in late spring or early summer like the website says, or is this wishful thinking? or will they take apps, but not test anyone until they have more money, which means that they'll be sitting on the apps for year or so?

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by jsin925 View Post
    if the dept doesn't have any money how are they going to train people? if there is no money for testing how are they going to know who to hire? the fire dept should be one of the best funded depts of the city. maybe the aldermen should take a pay cut. they make $70k a year and get a car allowance, and they don't do jack.

You have me sold!!

The situation is that we may be facing layoffs, depending on how deeply they want to cut us. We don't now yet. There are close to 80 vacancies as we speak, which should be enough to not have guys let go.
    The fact is is that we will most likely not be hiring any recruit classes for at least the next year, maybe two.

The chiefs notes, and the word out of the union is ugly. If we take the cuts that we're now expecting, we will have a significantly different department next year at this time. Our ability to respond to emergencies, our ability to handle fires is going to be impacted drastically.

Do you live in the city? If you do, or you have friends and family in the city, please call your alderman and the mayor. Write them letters, and send them e-mail messages. The elected officials need to hear what the people have to say.
    My alderman flat out told me that we are a waste of money. We're over paid and under worked, that is a direct quote.

As far as alderman are concerned, they want to cut us, I think they should be cut. They've compared us as a department to other cities, and call us "fat". Other cities that we've compared our common council to reveals they are too "fat".
    Here are some examples :

Phoenix - 8 districts
    Denver - 11
    Seattle - 9
    Chicago - 21
    Columbus - 7

Milwaukee has 15 districts.

Sorry for the hijack, I wish there was good news for you guys, here.

Forum Member

jasper45, check out my latest post in the wisconsin forum. it might interest you. let me know.

Thread Information