Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Angry Pushed to the limit

Has anyone here ever been fed up with their fire dept so much that they just flipped on them all during a meeting?

I got so fed up with the lack of training, lack of interest, and lack of everything in my dept over the last 2 years. Been suggesting training all the time, trying to get the company back on track, but no go. Eventually I got really tired of it and needed to address the issue before someone got hurt. Basically I told the company how it was, and that we need to get back to the way things should be. Training, following SOPs, not being firefighters for the title, but for the job.

So my question is to you guys, have you ever been pushed so far that you had to break and yelled at the whole company to get their act together?

If so I'd like to hear what you did and how the company responded.
    Last edited by Lieutenant516; 07-21-2006 at 03:03 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber Shoreman22's Avatar

Your experience is not uncommon...

Keep in mind that being an officer is not an easy task - sometimes you have to discuss (repeatedly in most circumstances) the facts of life that people don't want to hear. You can't give up. It helps if you can get people to back you before such a meeting. Yes, politics plays a huge role. It's the part of the job I don't like, but it's a package deal.

A couple times each year I walk out of a company meeting muttering to myself and wondering why I still choose to deal with it all. Each time I arrive at the same answer - I love what I'm doing. It's no different than our day jobs (for us volleys) - some days are great and some suck.

It is important to speak your mind, but try to keep it within respectful tones. You must lead by example. You can force the issue without yelling. Most times, the perception is that when you're yelling, you've lost the ability to support your argument.

Bottom line: hold the line. Continue to bring up the sensitive issues to demonstrate that you're not going to let them go. Hopefully, others will catch on and momentum will swing your way. Good luck!
    Proud member of the IACOJ.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you....

"It seemed like a good idea at the time..."

Forum Member

Red face sick and tired

Not a firefighter just a support type Shop Foreman for our department trying to keep it safe and running for the fire guys. I have decided to retire next April after twenty years. I wanted to go a little longer but not now. Between the managerial (or lack thereof) problems and personality conflicts I have had it. I'm going to be looking for a job where I am not the manager and I can just go to work and back home. I am retiring from this job and have my twenty year military retirement but don't want to quit altogether just yet. There were good times on the FD but not anymore. I'm going to try and finish upbeat and on a positive note even if it is hard to push through each day right now. Its' a tough world that requires a delicate touch with all the rules and I guess I'm a little too old school. After fighting government systems for 40 years I need a little peace in my life. Yes, there are those days. If you can work throught them and get it behind you, a career with a good retirement and benefits is a great thing to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoreman22
    Your experience is not uncommon...

Keep in mind that being an officer is not an easy task - sometimes you have to discuss (repeatedly in most circumstances) the facts of life that people don't want to hear. You can't give up. It helps if you can get people to back you before such a meeting. Yes, politics plays a huge role. It's the part of the job I don't like, but it's a package deal.

A couple times each year I walk out of a company meeting muttering to myself and wondering why I still choose to deal with it all. Each time I arrive at the same answer - I love what I'm doing. It's no different than our day jobs (for us volleys) - some days are great and some suck.

It is important to speak your mind, but try to keep it within respectful tones. You must lead by example. You can force the issue without yelling. Most times, the perception is that when you're yelling, you've lost the ability to support your argument.

Bottom line: hold the line. Continue to bring up the sensitive issues to demonstrate that you're not going to let them go. Hopefully, others will catch on and momentum will swing your way. Good luck!
    That about covers it. Well said!
    In Arduis Fidelis
    Faithful in Adversity

Forum Member

Thanks. I was forcing the issue, and I didnt yell at them, or use words like "you guys", I said "we", like "we need to start training more", "we need to build trust in eachother", and stuff like that. I definately was trying to say that we as a company need to step it up.

And during the meeting, they all seemed to be against what I had to say, but later, a lot of them talked to me one on one and most agreed with some of my points. I think they were just afraid to say that in the meeting infront of everyone. Me personally could care less what they think of me, if it means them hating me, but we're all safer, better trained, and we will all go home after a call, so be it.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Yup!............

Lieutenant, Shoreman pretty well summed it up for me too. I'm in my 48th Year in this business, and I love it too much to leave, BUT, I've had my days. Like you, I want my people to be the best at what they do, and I want to be sure that "Everybody goes home". As a Chief, I sometimes get a bit upset when things don't seem to be following that plan, and I have stormed out of a few meetings myself. "Leading by Example" is a sometimes overworked phrase, but it is truth at it's best. Do your best, and others will follow or drop by the wayside. Harsh? Yup. But if being harsh saves a Brother's life, you've done your job. I wish you luck, you ever need to talk about stuff like that, drop me a PM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

My esteemed friend from Maryland says it very well. We all have our days....and I have had mine...some recently .... But we adapt, modify and overcome.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant516
    Has anyone here ever been fed up with their fire dept so much that they just flipped on them all during a meeting?

I got so fed up with the lack of training, lack of interest, and lack of everything in my dept over the last 2 years. Been suggesting training all the time, trying to get the company back on track, but no go. Eventually I got really tired of it and needed to address the issue before someone got hurt. Basically I told the company how it was, and that we need to get back to the way things should be. Training, following SOPs, not being firefighters for the title, but for the job.

So my question is to you guys, have you ever been pushed so far that you had to break and yelled at the whole company to get their act together?

If so I'd like to hear what you did and how the company responded.
    You lost them as soon as you raised your voice.
    As soon as you released your emotion upon them, it was no longer about training; it was about you.
    We have only had to address this issue on very rare occasion.
    It is done in a monotone, matter-of-fact demeanor.
    We make it very simple; train or resign.
    Anyone can stand there and watch a house burn down. We just don't want it to be the firefighters.
    You can be passionate about your department. But others have to be willing to share your passion.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Sadly, CR has punched it on the nose. Allowing emotional outburst to get control of you during what should be a matter of fact statement doesn't usually win much in the way of support for a cause. However I do understand fully (only too well) where you were "sitting" at that point. Good luck to you and hope you are able to make things work.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information