Forum Member

Default Booster Hose Survey

We are getting ready to replace the booster hose on our primary truck. The old red rubber jacketed hard line we have been using gets real abuse especially from being dropped down the hole chimney fires. It justs eats that up, with blisters, char etc. Anyone use a hose that is resistant to the abuses especially from chimney fires? Also we are looking for another specialty nozzle for chimney fire purposes. Anyone with experience to share?
    Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

I have never been to a chimney fire that we had to lower a hose into the chimney. In fact, very rarely to we go to the roof at all. Spray the booster up into the chimney. Check the attic. Go home.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

EuroFirefighter.com

10-4 that Robert ....

But we do use a special lightweight rubber hose that we push up from below the fire (not much damage to the hose at all from below the fire) using wooden sticks (each about 2 1/2 feet long) that join together like a chimney sweeps kit. This kit packs away into a neat little bag for stowage.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGRIMWOOD
    10-4 that Robert ....

But we do use a special lightweight rubber hose that we push up from below the fire (not much damage to the hose at all from below the fire) using wooden sticks (each about 2 1/2 feet long) that join together like a chimney sweeps kit. This kit packs away into a neat little bag for stowage.

Also, the spray nozzle that fits on the end of the hose is of a design that has a number of very small holes, the angles of which are designed so that the small jets of water impinge on each other and create a vey fine fog, I have never ever seen the hose get damaged in use, very dirty, but no damage. the hose, if my memory is right was about 35 ft with a stirrup pump which fitted into a 2 gallon bucket, very little water damage, and very efficient.

EuroFirefighter.com

Quote Originally Posted by protomkv
    I have never ever seen the hose get damaged in use, very dirty, but no damage. the hose, if my memory is right was about 35 ft with a stirrup pump which fitted into a 2 gallon bucket, very little water damage, and very efficient.
    Hey Proto you still remember that far back aayyy bro

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by protomkv
    Also, the spray nozzle that fits on the end of the hose is of a design that has a number of very small holes, the angles of which are designed so that the small jets of water impinge on each other and create a vey fine fog, I have never ever seen the hose get damaged in use, very dirty, but no damage. the hose, if my memory is right was about 35 ft with a stirrup pump which fitted into a 2 gallon bucket, very little water damage, and very efficient.
    Our setup is meant to be dropped down from above, the nozzle is very heavy with the fine misting nozzles jets, about 16 of them, it is really only putting out a fine fog. I dont know what make it is. There is no way you could ever feed it from below. I think over the years the booster hose has just accumulated alot of use.
    Is there something better than rubber hard line?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGRIMWOOD
    Hey Proto you still remember that far back aayyy bro

Hey Paul,
    The little grey cells are getting a little rusty, but they still work.

Forum Member

How about a high quality 3/4" garden hose, knowing you'll just trash it every year or few fires or whatever. Make a 35' or so length, use an adapter from whatever firehose thread you have to garden hose.

Costs what, $20/35' ...less if you can just really cheap stuff to replace regulary?

We don't use water on chimneys. Flares or Dry Chemical (extinguisher from the bottom, drop baggies from above) to knock down and chains to knock the creosote off the chimney to overhaul.

We do have a booster using the Niedner Reeltex, which I can assure is not going to take the abuse of your situation. Good hose for general purpose use though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmatian190
    We don't use water on chimneys.
    Same here. Dry chem. And I havent seen a booster reel in 20 years.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983
    Same here. Dry chem. And I havent seen a booster reel in 20 years.
    ditto Dal...........
    ditto Dave.............
    Robert ............nice pics on FH>com ! Rockin job !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Ditto on the dry chem! Never used a hose in a chimney. We also use: snowballs (much less in the last few years) and a cast iron pan of water in the stove. We no longer sweep chimneys with any tool except a chain with weights on the end.

MembersZone Subscriber

We'll either use the dry chem or the water can. Ruined many a carpet needlessly by using a line (we no longer have boosters on the engines). A little PPV on from the inside seems to help a bit, unless you're guy on the roof is looking down the chimney when you turn it on.

Forum Member

We recently purchased a chimney "snuffer" that is now offered by Task Force Tips. It is a tapered weight with a bunch of what looks like oil burner nozzles in it. It attaches to a 1" "fire resistant" hose which is controlled by a 1/4 turn shut off. In theory the fine mist will take care of the fire without cracking the title liner or flooding the house below. Prior to this we only used powder (dropped down from above in thin baggies, the heat melts the plastic and frees the powder) and chains. Once in a great while a water can or dry powder from below. We had some stubborn fires where there was a change of direction in the flue above the firebox and couldn't get the chains to knock the burning material down. The hope is that the snuffer will allow knockdown on what the chains can not reach. Don't have enough experiance with it to say yet if it is "all that it can be" but it does have promise.
    Capt406, IACOJ#780

Forum Member

I've heard of Depts using a short length of old hose to drop down the chimney.
    If you really like using booster hose on a chimney fire, take your old hose (100'?) and have is shortened into several 20' lengths.
    E.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Lightbulb Do What?..........

We bought our last Engine with a booster reel in 1965. Since then, it's been 1.5 line, 2.0 line, and 3.0 line for all your Firefighting needs. We do have a reel on our Brush rig, with about 200' 3/4 hose. The Brush rig also carries about 400' of 1.0 Forestry hose. As for chimney Fires (which seem to be on the increase) we use a Chimney chain if needed, along with dry chem. As far back as I can remember, we were always told not to put water in a chimney, "because it will crack the bricks".
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lieut706 View Post
    We recently purchased a chimney "snuffer" that is now offered by Task Force Tips. It is a tapered weight with a bunch of what looks like oil burner nozzles in it. It attaches to a 1" "fire resistant" hose which is controlled by a 1/4 turn shut off. In theory the fine mist will take care of the fire without cracking the title liner or flooding the house below. Prior to this we only used powder (dropped down from above in thin baggies, the heat melts the plastic and frees the powder) and chains. Once in a great while a water can or dry powder from below. We had some stubborn fires where there was a change of direction in the flue above the firebox and couldn't get the chains to knock the burning material down. The hope is that the snuffer will allow knockdown on what the chains can not reach. Don't have enough experience with it to say yet if it is "all that it can be" but it does have promise.
    We have used a "chimney snuffer" nozzle for many years now (at least 15), with great success. Ours is just like the TFT model, but we attach it to about 25' of hard red-line booster hose, with a quarters turn shut-off at the end and an 1 3/4 adapter. I know departments all swear by there own methods of fighting chimney fires, and there are many of them, but I think this special nozzle works very well. There are few chimney fires that require more than an application of the snuffer. We rarely use chains, or other methods. Also, the red-line hose holds up very well, and gets replaced rarely (mostly due to age than heat damage). We keep our setup coiled up and bound with a hose strap. Just uncoil, and attach to any length of 1 3/4, and you are ready to go. The only down side is you obviously must deploy this nozzle from the top of the chimney, and ladder work can become tricky depending on the roof.

Forum Member

we've never used a hoseline in a chimney, just dry chemical.

Forum Member

Default My method works too

Pull up with the ladder (quint...of course).
    Don 2 hoods.
    Extend ladder & position over chimney.
    Let go with 500 gallons carried on board through 1500GPM ladder pipe.
    Defend self against irrate (read "wet") homeowners.

I just seem to be in one of those moods today
    Stupid People.......Providing Job Security to Public Safety Professionals for ........forever

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrklun View Post
    We have used a "chimney snuffer" nozzle for many years now (at least 15), with great success. Ours is just like the TFT model, but we attach it to about 25' of hard red-line booster hose, with a quarters turn shut-off at the end and an 1 3/4 adapter. I know departments all swear by there own methods of fighting chimney fires, and there are many of them, but I think this special nozzle works very well.
    Yes that is a similiar nozzle that we use, never found a brand name on it. It works well with it's fine mist. In my area 50-70% of the population probably has wood stoves, so chimney fires are a common occurrence. In some cases the fires which have not extended beyond the chimney or lining burn hot, which is why our section of rubber booster gets so thrashed. We are replacing the entire reel of BH so the suggestion of just creating "disposable" 25 foot sections may be prudent.
    NOW, the secret is getting up the roof and staying there, many metal roofs also, combined with winter snow & ice, that is where the risk is. A quint would be a welcomed addition.

Forum Member

Hello All,

We never use water on a chimney fire. Chimney flare or Dry Chemical from below with PPV. Works great!

Captain Lou
    "Got Foam?"

Thread Information