Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hillary has her finger on the pulse of the nation

No doubt about it. Ol' Hillary has her finger right on the hot button issues of the day, with a complete understanding of the issues.
    DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

WASHINGTON - Madison Ave. ad execs are so bent on taking control of America's children, they'd put computer chips in kids' brains if they could, Sen. Hillary Clinton said yesterday.
    Saying advertisers have found so many new ways to get at kids through video games and the Internet, Clinton warned that we're verging on a society out of a grim science fiction novel.

"At the rate that technology is advancing, people will be implanting chips in our children to advertise directly into their brains and tell them what kind of products to buy," Clinton said at the Kaiser Family Foundation.

The New York Democrat said the country was performing a "massive experiment" on kids who average more than six hours a day with media and advertising, soaking it up through TV, computers, games and iPods. She said the fastest growing advertising market is the 6- and under set, and that children's health is already being hurt by products like Camel's candy-flavored cigarettes and junk food sold with tips for video games - used to sell more junk food.

"People are spending billions and billions of dollars enticing children basically to be obsessed with food," she said. "These foods are almost universally unhealthy." Clinton has offered legislation to study the effects of the "advertising-saturated, media-intense" world on kids.

Robert Thompson, a professor of pop culture at Syracuse University, said Clinton and other politicians like to attack advertising because it's easier than trying to ban bad food products or fund broad education programs.

"To go after advertising really makes no sense," he said. "It's sort of a backdoor tack, but it's the safer one politically."

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down Yeah..............

Somehow, I thought Hillary's finger was somewhere else....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods

I thought it was her head that was somewhere else.
    How come she never wrote a book about succeeding in real estate when others fail miserably?She could finance her elections with such a book.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    I thought it was her head that was somewhere else.
    How come she never wrote a book about succeeding in real estate when others fail miserably?She could finance her elections with such a book.
    It has to be huge!! I think Slick Willies was up there too at one point!

Hey maybe she will wanna start burning books and magazines that have advertizing in them.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

I love the personal attacks against Hillary from the compassionate conservatives. Cracks me up. I was asked about my qualifications to be President against Bush's graduating from Yale and Harvard.

Anyone here want to take a crack at Hill's academic resume'? Anyone want to think (if they were female) they could get into and be the valedictorian at Wellesley College? How about getting into and graduating from Yale Law? Anyone want to take a crack about being better qualified than her? How many of her detractors want to try and tell me they had the option of choosing between Yale Law or the fire academy? I don't agree with all of her politics. In fact I agree with little of her politics. But in reading more about her and knowing people who have met her tell me she is nothing like the way she has been smeared in conservative circles. A great example would be the moron conservative urban legend of Hillary snubbing Gold Star Moms as reported by the sheep on this thread right here on these forums. And given the disastrous domestic and foreign policies inflicted on us by the current administration she couldn't do any worse.

I guess if someone really wants to hear a conservative who has their finger on the pulse of things one need only listen to Sen. Ted Stevens (R-AK) describe how the internet functions and who pays for it. Methinks he should stick to getting pork barrel 'freeways to nowhere' for Alaska. I got a good chuckle at around mintue 4:45 when the good Senator explains to us how the internets (yes plural) work, and how a staff member sent him an internet, and that got delayed because of someone else's internet. Where's Al Gore when you need him?
    Last edited by scfire86; 07-21-2006 at 05:24 PM.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down And Your Point Is?.............

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86
    I love the personal attacks against Hillary from the compassionate conservatives. Cracks me up. I was asked about my qualifications to be President against Bush's graduating from Yale and Harvard.

Anyone here want to take a crack at Hill's academic resume'? Anyone want to think (if they were female) they could get into and be the valedictorian at Wellesley College? How about getting into and graduating from Yale Law? Anyone want to take a crack about being better qualified than her? How many of her detractors want to try and tell me they had the option of choosing between Yale Law or the fire academy?
    All that she has proved is that one can be a College Grad and still not have any common sense whatsoever. And I really think that she could not make it in the Fire Academy, not because she's a female, but because of a lack of the aforementioned common sense. Book Smart and Street Dumb.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

All that she has proved is that one can be a College Grad and still not have any common sense whatsoever. And I really think that she could not make it in the Fire Academy, not because she's a female, but because of a lack of the aforementioned common sense. Book Smart and Street Dumb.
    Gimme a break. Someone of that intellectual ability (assuming physical ability) would figure out the fire academy a whole lot easier than someone with common sense and no book smarts would be able to succeed at Yale Law. The fire academy wasn't easy, but we weren't splitting any atoms either.

Gimme a break. Someone of that intellectual ability (assuming physical ability) would figure out the fire academy a whole lot easier than someone with common sense and no book smarts would be able to succeed at Yale Law. The fire academy wasn't easy, but we weren't splitting any atoms either.
    I disagree considering the nj FF1 written test seemed like they were more interested in tricking you to get a wrong answer then actually testing whether you knew what the actual answer was.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY101TRUCK
    I disagree considering the nj FF1 written test seemed like they were more interested in tricking you to get a wrong answer then actually testing whether you knew what the actual answer was.
    What's your point? Do you think only the mentally gifted can figure it out? Don't delude yourself. Written exams aren't that hard.

What's your point? Do you think only the mentally gifted can figure it out? Don't delude yourself. Written exams aren't that hard.

What it seems your trying to say is that just because you graduate from a top notch school you can do anything and everything. Your right written exams arent that hard and I never said anything was hard about the test. I was simply making a statement about the test.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

I thought there was an award....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Lightbulb

Hillary may have her finger on the pulse of the nation, but....

Could you trust her with her finger on the nuclear button?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    Hillary may have her finger on the pulse of the nation, but....

Prolly not....this could have been avoided if she only smoked cigars.
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

She is a politician - therefore I do not trust her. I don't trust too many politician, regardless of their party affiliation.

Should she choose to run (and I really don't think that she will) I would be hard pressed to vote for her given her repeated statements that she would not if re-elected to the Senate. Right off the bat, you know that you can't trust her because she can't keep her word. (A rule that applies to any politician.)

I agree with you SC, she is a very intelligent person who has been around the block a few times. And people on both sides of the aisle vilify others while ignoring the twits within their own party or political ideologies.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Quote Originally Posted by Ladder8
    I thought there was an award....
    The Flying Fickle Finger of Fate!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

These days, the scene has become almost natural: Hillary Clinton, New York's junior senator, and a phalanx of firefighters and police officers, all standing united at some government venue, all demanding action on some 9-11 issue.
    Last Thursday, Clinton's office staged a press conference to highlight her latest crusade for New York's bravest and finest. This time, the venue was the Dirksen Senate Office Building in Washington, D.C. And this time, the 9-11 issue was the $125 million in aid for sick ground-zero workers, many of them uniformed firefighters and cops. The money was included in a promised $20 billion package for New York three years ago, but the Bush administration would like to rescind it. At the podium, Clinton blasted Bush "bureaucrats" for trying to back out of the president's pledge. "It's not right," she said, "and we must not let it happen."

There with her on Thursday were Nicholas Scoppetta, the FDNY fire commissioner; Peter Gorman, the Uniformed Fire Officers Association (UFOA) president; Pam Delaney, the New York City Police Foundation president; and a dozen more, many of whom she name-checked. It's easy to forget, but New York's first responders have not always stood behind their senator.

Remember the early days of her U.S. Senate term? The image of her as a liberal woman—a label that defined her as first lady—didn't go over well with cops and firefighters. When she showed up at an October 2001 benefit concert for 9-11 families at Madison Square Garden, the city's "heroes" recoiled. She walked onstage; they jeered. She offered remarks; they booed. Recalls someone who was backstage, "She was booed like I've never heard someone get booed before."

But just as Clinton has continued to court Jewish voters who were angry with her for having backed a Palestinian state—witness her high-profile visit to Israel this month as her latest outreach to them—so has she stayed in the game of helping 9-11 families. Today, she has become something of a champion for them, and the overt hostility of firefighters and cops has largely dissipated. She has fought for their needs on Capitol Hill and built ties with their leaders. She has, in short, worked hard to woo her haters.

Hank Sheinkopf, the veteran Democratic consultant, says the senator "has done a lot of work to make these guys happy with her." As a result, she has taken what many political analysts perceived as a weakness—her unpopularity among cops and firefighters—and attacked it. She has shown that she can turn enemies into allies, a skill she'll need if she does indeed run for president in 2008.

As Sheinkopf explains, "You prove to these groups that you share their values and make them feel comfortable with you." He adds, "Hillary Clinton understands this, and she has done it, post–9-11."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pre–9-11, New York City cops and firefighters, like many voters, viewed Clinton's candidacy for Senate with suspicion. She was the outsider, the carpetbagger, the first lady whose only interests here were her political ambitions.

Gorman, of the local UFOA, says his ranks thought Clinton carried a lot of baggage. There were what he calls "the second-term negatives of Bill Clinton"—the Whitewater scandal, the Monica ordeal. And then there was the Hillary stereotype.

"I come from a male-dominated profession," Gorman says, "and people saw her as a very aggressive first lady."

None of the local firefighters' unions backed the candidate in her 2000 bid. Nor did the police unions; Clinton had an especially chilly relationship with the cops. In January 2000, while on the campaign trail, she attended a civil rights celebration at Al Sharpton's Harlem headquarters, during which she referred to the 1999 shooting death of Amadou Diallo as a "tragic murder." Her comments inflamed the officers, who accused her of tainting the trial of their four colleagues involved in the shooting.

Once elected, she took steps to reach out to firefighters and cops, even meeting with the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association board. "She told us, 'I made some statements that made you guys not look so good,' " one PBA insider recalls. Still, there wasn't much of a rapport with either of the groups.

Then came 9-11 and the embarrassing scene at Madison Square Garden. Her aides say she took the crowd's reaction seriously, although they point out that she did not walk off. Basil Smikle, a former aide turned political consultant, almost understates the situation: "We realized internally that we needed to address this problem."

Clinton has made a hallmark of homing in on a particular group's issue—whether it's contracts for defense manufacturers in the state or funding for former uranium workers stricken with cancer—and pursuing that issue until she delivers. With the first responders, the issue was health and safety. She took on the question of long-term risks to those toiling at ground zero, exposed to all sorts of toxins. She visited the site repeatedly, and her office became inundated with calls—not only about the infamous World Trade Center cough, but about the lack of respiratory equipment. By the time of the Garden debacle, she had already asked her staff to research solutions.

After the concert, the staff used the issues as an entrée to the unions. Smikle, who oversaw government relations, made calls to the Uniformed Firefighters Association and the PBA. "I said, 'I'm from Hillary's office and I heard the response at the concert,' " he recalls.

He and his colleagues kept on calling the union leaders. They met with them and explained what the senator wanted to do— how she aimed to create a 9-11 health-monitoring program, for instance, and to push for homeland security funding.

It took months of behind-the-scenes conversations, but Clinton eventually got press conferences with the unions. First came the UFA event, in January 2002, at a Manhattan firehouse. The senator stood before a fire truck and announced the medical screening and tracking program for World Trade Center workers. Next was the one with the PBA, a few months later. At the NYPD's first precinct, flanked by cops and firefighters, she called for a better formula for homeland security funding.

The events went off without a hitch, though some feared the unions would bow out. Union insiders say their memberships still didn't take kindly to Clinton. "It had to be beat in our guys' heads that Hillary is a friend," offers a UFA source. "They didn't see it that way."

But Clinton's work helped forge a relationship—not just with union heads, but with department leaders. The calls from her office continued, as did the press events and lobbying days. Eventually, the unions began to reach out to her. In August 2002, the PBA asked her to speak at a rally for pay raises. She accepted. She took the podium to scattered booing. But they cheered when she said it was "unconscionable" to block raises for cops and firefighters after 9-11.

"That," says the PBA insider, "may have been a turning point."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clinton's work may have forged the ties, but her persistence is what changed minds. Firefighters have seen her take the lead on the 9-11 medical screening. In December 2001, she landed the initial $12 million for the program, then quickly filed legislation to make it more comprehensive. Eighteen months later, she convinced Senate colleagues to pass the bill, securing an additional $90 million. For nearly a year, as New York City waited for the money, she kept up the fight.

Meanwhile, police officers have watched her push for homeland security funding. In 2003, she issued two surveys of New York departments detailing the lack of money and crucial equipment. She emerged as a leading proponent of providing block grant money directly to municipalities and changing the formula to one based on threat and risk—meaning New York City would get more. She has filed and refiled legislation, met with administration officials, and written letters to President Bush.

And then, there are the smaller things—the way she helped the NYPD get $4 million to buy gas masks, for instance, or the FDNY tap into $132 million for crisis counseling.

Her record has left many fire and police officials singing her praises. Tom Scotto, the recently retired president of the Detectives Endowment Association, in Manhattan, ranks Clinton's efforts as a "10 plus," on a scale from one to 10. He says, "She has proved how talented she is just by her actions."

David Prezant, the deputy chief medical officer for the fire department, puts it this way: "I am her loyal servant, damn right! The care and attention she has provided the fire department has been phenomenal."

It's the kind of talk any politician would covet. Since 9-11, there has been a special aura around firefighters and cops. They are the nation's heroes. Any Democratic presidential candidate—um, Hillary—would do well to have these guys on her side. Sheinkopf, the consultant, points out that they are disproportionately Irish Catholic and Italian Catholic males—the same stripes of voters who have turned away from the Democratic Party in national elections.

"If she wants to run for president," Sheinkopf notes, "this is a constituency she has to have—or at least, she has to reduce their angst over her."

Her advisers take issue with the idea that Clinton has worked on 9-11 issues purely to win votes. They say she would have fought for firefighters and police officers regardless. If she happens to turn some folks as a result, it's a by-product. "She works hard, period," says Philippe Reines, her spokesperson. "If she doesn't win people over, she doesn't work any less hard for them. They're her constituents."

And not all her constituents are going to like her. One Queens firefighter tells the Voice that many of his fellow firefighters still have a hard time appreciating Clinton. Last year, he attended a UFA meeting where plenty of firefighters booed at the mention of her name. "Personally, I almost feel sorry for her," the firefighter says. "She's tripping herself up to give the guys what they need, yet they can't get over her other politics." They can't get over her liberal label or her Democratic bona fides.

Yet even among the toughest of the guys, the sentiment seems to be softening. More and more members, say Gorman and others, will say, "She's not my favorite but she's all right on our issues." Or they may admit they don't like her, but will credit her accomplishments. And when they see the senator in person, they may even respond to her. The PBA insider says every time the union takes Clinton to a precinct, "a lot of cops say, 'We don't like Hillary.' But when she walks into the room, everybody is in awe and taking pictures with her."

It still doesn't mean they'll vote for her, just that they respect her. But for Clinton, Sheinkopf says, that's "a big deal." He adds, "It's a big deal for someone who the right has tried to make believe is the Antichrist."
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    Why wouldn't I? There are others running for President whom I wouldn't? Unless you have some half baked hypothetical as why I shouldn't.
    Last edited by scfire86; 07-23-2006 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86
    Why wouldn't I? There are others running for President whom I wouldn't? Unless you have some half baked hypothetical as why I shouldn't.
    My question extends to all candidates. It just so happens Hillary is the subject of this thread, not any other politician.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

While I am still no fan of Hillary, Mieky's posts show a longstanding push for many things.

Both Clintons have actually shown themselves to be fairly moderate by "taditional" and "current" Democratic standards. I disagree with a their push for Nationalized halthcare, as well as gun control.

But she really has stepped to the front of the line regarding issues with the WTC, even outshadowing Schumer (which I think may be orchestrated to appear as such) but seems to fight a lot for her state.

And it does pain many "Conservatives" to see her respect the military as she protrays. She is still not popular (in my estimation) with many in uniform, especially those who remember her husband's policies towards the military as well.

I think she has found her calling as a Senator, and I think 2008 is her only chance at running for POTUS. Her age will become more of a factor (right or wrong) after that. I will still likely not vote for her.

But the Republicans haven't really got anyone worth my time either. Then again, I am a Libertarian.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Thread Information