MembersZone Subscriber

Default CO & Gas Detectors which do you recommend?

We are currently looking into purchasing a new Gas/Co Detector for our truck. We looked at a few but I am wondering which one do you guys recommend that is the best out there?? We've been looking at the MSA Solaris model and seemed to like that one so far out of a few. Which ones do your depts use?? Any info is greatly appreciated.
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Forum Member

Look at the Scott Scout. Easy to operate, easy to calibrate.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

We carry the Scott Scout as well. We have a total of 5 on our rescue truck. Like Gonzo noted they are easy to operate and easy to calabrate. I would recomend spending the few extra dollors to get the model with an internal pump. This makes getting readings in a confined space much easier. Also when considering any gas detector remember to budget for replacement sensors. We have had excellent service out of our Scout's and we use them on a very regular basis.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Capt, what kind of lifespan are you getting out of the sensors? We're replacing sensors almost yearly, sometimes less. Thats fine because scott is replacing them under warranty, but our meter is down far too much.

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for the input guys I'll have to check that out and pass the word along to the other guys on the committee...We are in the process of putting together an equipment list for our new tower ladder and we are trying to put on some of the essentials that we dont have and cant afford at the moment but can budget into our new apparatus.
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Forum Member

Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

MembersZone Subscriber

We just purchased 3 Pulsar Plus "CO" Monitors.

Border Patrol

I use these at my full-time employment as a construction Safety Tech.:

http://www.rkiinstruments.com/pages/gx2003.htm

Very easy to use, auto-calibration and bump testing is a snap. We've only had them since last fall so I can't tell you how durable they are or how the sensors hold up yet but so far we have not had any problems with them.

At my FD, we were given one of these from the County EMA:

http://www.indsci.com/prod_pmg_itx.asp

Not a bad meter, but I like the RKI better...it's easier to use and has an internal pump.

Whatever you end up getting, like Station2Capt said, invest in the pump. It's safer to get your readings from outside the confined space and you won't have to mess around lowering your meter on a rope and pulling it out to look at the readings, etc.

dazed and confused

Quote Originally Posted by Station2Capt
    We carry the Scott Scout as well. We have a total of 5 on our rescue truck. Like Gonzo noted they are easy to operate and easy to calabrate. I would recomend spending the few extra dollors to get the model with an internal pump. This makes getting readings in a confined space much easier. Also when considering any gas detector remember to budget for replacement sensors. We have had excellent service out of our Scout's and we use them on a very regular basis.
    Ditto to the above and to CaptG's... we have three. They work well, and the service has been top-notch.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

When I did my confined space class the instructor had mostly Industrial Scientific gas detectors. They seemed to be real nice compared to some of the others. We have I believe an ITX but we did not have to buy it...the county gave it to us. It came with a bottle of calibration gas and a sampling pump too.

Birken

Forum Member

I have limited experience with the above mentioned meters, so I can not comment on them.
    We currently use Zellweger (spelling is probably wrong) and they are a decent unit.
    On the Haz-Mat crews I work with as well as using the above we also use the Multi-Rae. A great meter, but you will pay.

One thing to keep in mind is what you are going to be using it for. If strictly CO than you can get a cheaper model that solely does CO and will work fine. However if you ever plan to do more or just think on a way outside possibility you will do more go ahead and get a 4 gas meter such as one of the ones mentioned above.

As far as the sensors needing to be replaced on a yearly basis. This is true for just about any meter you will get (non CO specific). As soon as you take it out of the plastic it starts to get exposed to "contaimients" (my spelling sucks today) and they will build up. While they probably can get more use out of them, no manufactuer will give it back to you that way. As stated above a good service plan will go a long way.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by quint1officer
    Capt, what kind of lifespan are you getting out of the sensors? We're replacing sensors almost yearly, sometimes less. Thats fine because scott is replacing them under warranty, but our meter is down far too much.
    I just replaced an O2 sensor after 5 months. And thats not uncommon.

Forum Member

We have the Solaris gas detectors - first we had trouble with the H2S sensor, changed out by the company under warranty........this was done in two detectors. I was training the guys on the use of our new detectors last night, and when I turned one of the detectors on it went into alarm - slightly puzzling, but after diagnosing it the LEL sensor appears to be pooched. Now these detectors have been on the shelf for a few months waiting to get everyone trained - Having these sensor problems is not instilling me with confidence in this product. That being said most of the sensors made are made by the same company for every (or most) detector model out their.

Didi we get a bad batch, or are their other problems out their with the Solaris??
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Forum Member

Look at the Scott Scout. Easy to operate, easy to calibrate.
    We've had one for a couple of years and had a lot of trouble out it, mainly the meth sensor going bad. Seems like we have to replace that thing every time we turn around, and we don't really use it that much.

Thread Information