Fire This!!

Default Minitor pager + Cell Phone

Does anybody else out there wish that they made a cell phone with a built in minitor voice pager? ive got the two duct taped together now, its just a little bulky......

MembersZone Subscriber

...please tell me you're joking. Please.
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

Fire This!!

On which part? The wanting a 2 in 1 or the duct tape. Cause only one of them is a joke

Forum Member

Yeah ... something needs to be done.

When I go on shift I have my pager, my EMS nextel and my two-way all clipped to my belt. Had to start wearing suspenders just to keep my pants from falling down every time I turned around.

Forum Member

Somerset County, NJ. communications is sending text messages of alarms to any Dept. memberís phone who fills out a request form. They come over the same time as the tones drop. The guys love it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by needlejockey
    ...please tell me you're joking. Please.

My first thoughts as well.

That's a great idea from somerset county though!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Someone once told one of my friends "You have more technology on your waist than I do in my entire house".
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Hunterdon Co. does it as well but only you know the right people and request it.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

MembersZone Subscriber

Morris County, NJ Fire Departments also have this new technology. If your department is in the county or surrounding area check them out at www.edispatches.com.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rfdlou
    Somerset County, NJ. communications is sending text messages of alarms to any Dept. memberís phone who fills out a request form. They come over the same time as the tones drop. The guys love it.
    This is great for a secondary notification method, but be aware that it depends on commercial infrastructure. Unless the commercial carriers have agreements in place with the local government, there is no guarantee that the service will always be available. If a cell tower goes down or the system is busy, they aren't under any obligation to get it fixed in a hurry, or notify anyone that it's down. The text messages may come at the same time as the tones in most cases, but if their system gets overloaded (like might possibly happen in an emergency situation where tones need to be sent), there is no guarantee of quick delivery. I'm not saying text message alerting is bad...just be aware of the ramifications.

Andy

Forum Member

Cell phones are used when we're WAY out of our response district on mutual aid and we need to contact dispatch. We've used cell phones to coordinate a fire department dispatch to a methamphetamine lab raid. That way the "bad guys" can't hear whats going on, but all the right department personnel get the message. Worked decently well, got a crew for a full HAZMAT assignment with ambulance standing by. Not that we had to do anything. I don't know if I'd trust a text messaging dispatch system though, there's always the chance of the system lagging and you getting the message 5-10 minutes after its sent. Plus, like Pelican said, it requires service to use...if cell service is interrupted/shut down, you're in a world of fecal matter... But yeah, as a secondary system I think its kind of cool.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BPFire1618
    We've used cell phones to coordinate a fire department dispatch to a methamphetamine lab raid. That way the "bad guys" can't hear whats going on, but all the right department personnel get the message. Worked decently well, got a crew for a full HAZMAT assignment with ambulance standing by.
    Coming to you from the homemade Meth capital of the states here, I really feel your pain. Its such a problem here that the state has a fulltime department that all they do is decon for old meth labs. We just have to provide the EMS backup.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican631
    This is great for a secondary notification method, but be aware that it depends on commercial infrastructure. Unless the commercial carriers have agreements in place with the local government, there is no guarantee that the service will always be available. If a cell tower goes down or the system is busy, they aren't under any obligation to get it fixed in a hurry, or notify anyone that it's down. The text messages may come at the same time as the tones in most cases, but if their system gets overloaded (like might possibly happen in an emergency situation where tones need to be sent), there is no guarantee of quick delivery. I'm not saying text message alerting is bad...just be aware of the ramifications.

Andy
    Absolutely correct, text messaging is a secondary notification method. (Kind of a modern version of fire whistles ??) Every member has a Minitor pager.

Forum Member

None of the volunteers have opted to have text messaging to their phones, but the officer of each company and the officers of the department each carry a phone that does, and we have found it very valuable to avoid having to ask dispatch "where was that again" and also the incident number comes out on the phone so it can be looked up on the computer later without having to make a phone call. It is a very worthwhile feature.

Additionally the phones get the message sent to them as soon as the dispatcher enters the call. This can actually be so fast as to precede the actual voice dispatch when there are several calls pending that need to be dispatched or a brush fire which may have 10-15 units on the initial dispatch, before the dispatcher can get it out over the air you already know it's your call.

Birken

Forum Member

It sure would be handy for those times when there are 15 different sets of tones to go at once since nobody thought os making one group call tone.

Forum Member

Group call tones are nice but there are at least 20 different increments (departments, individuals, ambulances, etc.) I can think of that get dispatched in various combinations around here.

Birken

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BirkenVogt
    None of the volunteers have opted to have text messaging to their phones, but the officer of each company and the officers of the department each carry a phone that does, and we have found it very valuable to avoid having to ask dispatch "where was that again" and also the incident number comes out on the phone so it can be looked up on the computer later without having to make a phone call. Birken
    Thats the beauty of alphanumeric paging. The pagers are small(half the size of a minitor) and you never have to ask for the page to be repeated....Its all on the pager. There are several radio manufactures that have incorporated two tone paging into their radios. I have a Vertex vx-800 and it has that option. It does me no good as we are all alphanumeric, but for those of you that are still two tone, it might be an option for you....one less piece of equipment to carry

Forum Member

The convinence comes at a cost. If you use a commercial carrier, you can only rely on it as a secondary means of notification. It can't be your primary method of alerting for the reasons already stated above by Pelican631.

If you buy your own paging encoder and put up your own 500+ watt paging transmitter, it would be reliable enough for primary notification. However, I don't think there is an alpha pager on the market that will wake me up.

Forum Member

What about Nextel Alerts via 2-way. is able todo a group call. Just a thought, I wouldn't want that as primary because it is very unreliable. Or maybe other than having nextel for dispatch, what about comm center communications. Does anyone have that capability?

MembersZone Subscriber

For those of you who have a text message sent to you cell phones (or to atleast some in your area) in addition to tones being dispatched over the radio, can you give me some contact info on who set that up? Our chief wants a system like that and I kinda volunteered myself to find out more about it. We know it can be done, but it's not exactly like the have a yellow page listing for it.
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

Forum Member

MY $0.02
    Motorola does make both

Fire This!!

I know! And both of mine are moto's, I just wish they were one. I think its time I take my spensive minitor and expensive razr apart and put them in one case. hmmm..... A Razitor IV.I ......Yeah.......

Thread Information