Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7123 View Post
    I'm also reading The Last Men Out right now and it's so far a very good book.
    This books and First In, Last out are awesome.

Last Man Down or whatever seemed amazingly like, egotistical, to me, but then i read Report from Ground zero (i think it was...might have been a different 9/11 book) and read countless stories of people saying how that cheif saved their lives, so i kinda gave him a reprieve. There were so many heros that day, it has to be hard to write about the amazing things they did...especially if your writing about your self.

Forum Member

Loved The Last Men Out too. Report From Engine Co. 82 by Dennis Smith was very good too.
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

After reading the posts here I went and read "The Last Men Out" I thought that it was a very good book. Long before this post I also read "Firehouse", "So Others Might Live" (history of FDNY), "3000 Degrees", "Report from Engine 82", "A Chicago Firehouse, Stories of Wrigleyville's Engine 78" ( I am a hugh Cubs fan), "Fighting Fire", "First In Last Out", "Collaspe of Burning Buildings", and "Fire Officer Handbook of Tactics". All were good books. I was a little surprised by "First In Last Out" I didn't realize it was more for the business world than the company officer. I do know that quite a bit can be used by the company officer but I was expecting something a little different than it was.

Right now I am reading "Random Thoughts" by Tom Brennan. Pennwell and Bobby Halton have put together all of Tom Brennan's Random Thought articles from the past 18 years and assembled them into a book. I loved his articles when he was alive, and now I am getting to read all of the ones that I missed that were written before I got into the fire service 10 years ago. After reading just a small portion of the book, I wish I would have had the oppertunity to have shared a beer with the man and just pick his brain. I suggest everyone get it whether you are new to the fire service or not.

Forum Member

Firehouse by David Halberstam- VERY good book. Touching, poignant, and hard to read at times.

Fire Fighters: Stories of Survival from the Front Lines of Firefighting by various authors- Also a very good book. A lot of wildfire stories. A lot of the stories are written by firefighters, so the writing may not read quote like a professional author's work, but they're still easy and fun to read. Some of the works date back quite a bit. At the time that I first read it, I skipped over some of the stories, but I'm likely to go back and read them again.

The Last Men Out by Tom Downey- Great book. Moreso if you take into account that it's written by a non-firefighter. While he comes from a firefighting family, it's still tough to capture in writing what it's like to do this job. It's probably even harder to read an accurately written account of such and really grasp it fully if you've never done this job. I enjoyed this book, and it really reinforced where I want to go with my career, and the type of firefighter I want to strive to be.

I just started on So That Others May Live. I love history, so this will hopefully be a great book.

I'm also currently reading Report From Engine Co. 82. It's slower going for me. Not as exciting as the other books I've read. I've read three other books during the time that I've been reading Co. 82.

Forum Member

anyone know where i can get a copy of "last men out"?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by FireRescueEx View Post
    anyone know where i can get a copy of "last men out"?
    Should be able to get right here through firehouse.com. I've had Borders and B&N special order copies of the above mentioned books for me.

First book I read in the biz .. "Report from Engine Co. 82". Great read, good history lesson about old school. One question, is it just me or was Dennis Smith portrayed as the greatest, ballsiest S.O.B to ever throw water?

Current book ... "Fire Lover" (left the book at work, so I can't tell you who wrote it ) About a California arson investigator and renowned expert on arsonists who ends up getting pinched for being a serial arsonist! True story!

Forum Member

I HIGHLY reccomend Working Fire by Zac Unger, it's a memoir of his rookie years on the Oakland CA Fire Dept.
    Last edited by Motorhead90; 10-20-2007 at 05:13 PM.
    "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up"-Steven Wright

MembersZone Subscriber

I read the last men out a few months ago, honestly one of the best books I have ever read!

Forum Member

More good fire department books, although they are fiction, are Leo Stapletons writings. He has wrote 11 books and I have read all of them. Six of them are a series following the carreer od Fireman Donald Holden. It starts with his being hired and going through recruit school in the book ffops(firefighter on probation) and goes all the way through the rank of deputy fire chief. He also has several personal reflection books and a few other works of fiction.

Some other good fire department books are: Report from Eng. Co. 82, Lest Men Out, Braving the Flames, 3000 Degree's, Firehouse, Pride and Ownership, 20,000 Alarms, Fire Factory, The Donovan's, Heart Behind the Hero, Greatest Firefighter Stories Never Told, The Loo, Street Smart Firefighting, Tom Brennan's Random Thoughts.
    Last edited by LADDER2EKU; 11-01-2007 at 08:20 PM.
    Wade Munday

www.Stafford2fire.com
    -and-
    www.fairfaxfire.org

RIP DET. VICKY ARMEL
    Fairfax County PD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 5-8-2006

RIP DEPUTY/FF JASON MOONEY
    Stafford Sheriffs/Stafford VFD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 10-19-2007

MembersZone Subscriber

Little Thread Bump.

I just got a copy of this book (last men out) as a Christmas gift and although I have only been able to steal enough time to read the first couple of chapters, I can already see this is going to be a great book.

Read through here to see some of the other suggested titles so now I have to get back into reading (pleasure reading not text books) again.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

Has anyone read Probie Days by Jerry Engle?

Forum Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by wolfee27 View Post

Current book ... "Fire Lover" (left the book at work, so I can't tell you who wrote it ) About a California arson investigator and renowned expert on arsonists who ends up getting pinched for being a serial arsonist! True story!
    Is he from the Glendale Fire Department? If so he drove up and down the state of California lighting fires to and from different arson investigator conferences.

Forum Member

I am just about to finish up reading fire lover right now. I would say that it is a pretty good book to read. The book is written by Joseph Wambaugh and you should be able to find it fairly cheap, I paid about 7 bucks for mine.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chasselber1 View Post
    Has anyone read Probie Days by Jerry Engle?
    Unfortunately I have

Forum Member

Forum Member

"Last Men Out" was a good book.

If you like that kind of story telling then also check out these.

"The Blackened Shield" by Don Whitney, actually anything by Whitney is great. "Fire Duty" and "The Loo"

Books by Leo Stapleton are good; "Reflections," "Thirty Years," and "The Cap'n."

I have met the author of "We Can See It From The Bridge," Dave Houseal, who is finishing a new book "We Have Pointers" or something like that. He was a fireman in Harrisburg PA and their unofficial historian, major player in the PA fire Museum in Harrisburg.

Also enjoyed a great history of FDNY in "So Others Might Live" by Terry Galoway. Great history, a lot on the colonial days and interesting characters.

I hope you enjoy these books as much as I.
    Drew Lyman,
    "Dear Chief, much has happened since we talked last..."

MembersZone Subscriber

I have read Last Men Out about Rescue 2 and thought it was the best firefighting book I have read. Great detail and history about the company. The stories were all excellent and moving at times. I had the opportunity to visit NY once and tried to stop by their house but they must have been out on a run. Oh well, worth the chance.

I have read 3000 Degrees, Firehouse, and Working Fire, also all great books. I have read a few others that were okay but not as great.

I did read Last Man Down about Chief Picciotto and thought it was a good story but thought that since he wrote it about himself he sounded very arrogant. Granted he is a chief and I am sure he did a very good job down there, but he made it seem like nobody could do anything unless he was there to help them or tell them what to do. I heard of plenty of other stories, especially about 6 Truck, that seemed they had to rely on themselves and not a chief to get the job down that day. Oh well, everyone down there that day did an amazing job.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    Is he from the Glendale Fire Department? If so he drove up and down the state of California lighting fires to and from different arson investigator conferences.
    Yeah he lit a mess of them here. Furniture stores, Mattress stores. Scumbag!
    IAFF

Forum Member

3000 degree's is one of my favorite books.
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

Forum Member

Smile Leo Stapleton

I have read all of Stapleton's books from FFop to Chief and absolutely love them!!! He definately knows how to keep a person captivated. There have been several times were I was so into the book that I lost track of time. They are must reads!!!!

I guess I'll be getting Last Men Out now. Thanks guys!!

Forum Member

I just started reading last man down, and I feel as though it is a great book so far.

Forum Member

If you want a good fiction firefighter thriller I would suggest Igniter by Charles Taylor.

The book is about a legendary arson investigator/firefighter with the Boston Fire Department.

Great book with plenty of action and suspense!
    MCFD Station 1- "The Second-Due Saviors."
    ***My views and/or opinions on this site are those of myself and not my department.***

Forum Member

Last Men Out is a great book, and i wish i could have seen the documentary that the author made too. the book inspired me to want to become a firefighter, but it seems that here in milwaukee the fire dept is getting jacked by the city and might not have any money to hire more people. i have a master's degree in film, so if i can't be a firefighter i would love to make a documentary about being one. but that might just be torture for me, considering i would want to be part of the action.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KnightnPBIArmor View Post
    Unfortunately I have
    me too...............I cant believe someone published that !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1 View Post
    me too...............I cant believe someone published that !
    in your opinion, what was wrong with it?

Thread Information