Forum Member

"Last Men Out" was a good book.

If you like that kind of story telling then also check out these.

"The Blackened Shield" by Don Whitney, actually anything by Whitney is great. "Fire Duty" and "The Loo"

Books by Leo Stapleton are good; "Reflections," "Thirty Years," and "The Cap'n."

I have met the author of "We Can See It From The Bridge," Dave Houseal, who is finishing a new book "We Have Pointers" or something like that. He was a fireman in Harrisburg PA and their unofficial historian, major player in the PA fire Museum in Harrisburg.

Also enjoyed a great history of FDNY in "So Others Might Live" by Terry Galoway. Great history, a lot on the colonial days and interesting characters.

I hope you enjoy these books as much as I.
    Drew Lyman,
    "Dear Chief, much has happened since we talked last..."

MembersZone Subscriber

I have read Last Men Out about Rescue 2 and thought it was the best firefighting book I have read. Great detail and history about the company. The stories were all excellent and moving at times. I had the opportunity to visit NY once and tried to stop by their house but they must have been out on a run. Oh well, worth the chance.

I have read 3000 Degrees, Firehouse, and Working Fire, also all great books. I have read a few others that were okay but not as great.

I did read Last Man Down about Chief Picciotto and thought it was a good story but thought that since he wrote it about himself he sounded very arrogant. Granted he is a chief and I am sure he did a very good job down there, but he made it seem like nobody could do anything unless he was there to help them or tell them what to do. I heard of plenty of other stories, especially about 6 Truck, that seemed they had to rely on themselves and not a chief to get the job down that day. Oh well, everyone down there that day did an amazing job.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    Is he from the Glendale Fire Department? If so he drove up and down the state of California lighting fires to and from different arson investigator conferences.
    Yeah he lit a mess of them here. Furniture stores, Mattress stores. Scumbag!
    IAFF

Forum Member

3000 degree's is one of my favorite books.
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

Forum Member

Smile Leo Stapleton

I have read all of Stapleton's books from FFop to Chief and absolutely love them!!! He definately knows how to keep a person captivated. There have been several times were I was so into the book that I lost track of time. They are must reads!!!!

I guess I'll be getting Last Men Out now. Thanks guys!!

Forum Member

I just started reading last man down, and I feel as though it is a great book so far.

Forum Member

If you want a good fiction firefighter thriller I would suggest Igniter by Charles Taylor.

The book is about a legendary arson investigator/firefighter with the Boston Fire Department.

Great book with plenty of action and suspense!
    MCFD Station 1- "The Second-Due Saviors."
    ***My views and/or opinions on this site are those of myself and not my department.***

Forum Member

Last Men Out is a great book, and i wish i could have seen the documentary that the author made too. the book inspired me to want to become a firefighter, but it seems that here in milwaukee the fire dept is getting jacked by the city and might not have any money to hire more people. i have a master's degree in film, so if i can't be a firefighter i would love to make a documentary about being one. but that might just be torture for me, considering i would want to be part of the action.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KnightnPBIArmor View Post
    Unfortunately I have
    me too...............I cant believe someone published that !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1 View Post
    me too...............I cant believe someone published that !
    in your opinion, what was wrong with it?

Forum Member

sorry i'm getting back to you a few years after this original post. i for one am honored to know richy and all of the guys that worked in the rescue in the 80's. i can tell you that richy was one of the toughest, best firemen ever to wear a uniform. if you were to ask my dad "who was the best fireman he ever worked with?" hands down he'd say richy. my dad was a hell of a fireman himself, but he worked with the likes of ray downey, peter martin, dennis mojica, billy lake, lee ielpi, pete bondy, john vigiano, bobby cicero, bruce and gary howard, larry gray, terry hatton, timmy stagpole, and timmy higgins to name a few (sorry if i left anybody out). everyone of the rescue men were tough and awesome at their jobs.i grew up in that atmosphere and it was great! they are honestly why i'm a fireman today. i saw how close knit they were, it felt like a big family. if they were to do another movie or mini series (like band of brothers), it should be on them.

Thread Information