Forum Member

Default Do Fire Districts Have Foriegn Fire Tax Boards?

Do Fire Protection Districts in the state form the Foriegn Fire Insurance Tax or 2% money boards like municipal departmetns do to allocate the money.

This is the 2% of the insurnce premiums the firefighters get to allocate for what they feel is needed for the department not the mayor or chief.
    Thanks
    Last edited by IllinoisFF; 07-24-2006 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Would not post previously

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by IllinoisFF
    Do Fire Protection Districts in the state form the Foriegn Fire Insurance Tax or 2% money boards like municipal departmetns do to allocate the money.

This is the 2% of the insurnce premiums the firefighters get to allocate for what they feel is needed for the department not the mayor or chief.
    Thanks
    In Illinois, the Illinois Municipal League collects and distributes the Foreign Fire Tax monies.
    In our case, our local village receives the money and then writes the check to the fire protection district. It's not substantial, but every little bit helps.
    No board specific to Foreign Fire Tax spending is used. It goes to the firefighters to spend.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Default 2% board

If there is no board, how do the FF's spend the money??

With municipal departments the code calls for a 3 person board elected by the firefighters. The board actually controls the account the money is in.

MembersZone Subscriber

Last year, the Illinois legislature tried to pass a law to setup a foreign fire tax board for fire protection districts. It never did pass. So the money just goes to the Board of Trustees to spend as they see fit.

MembersZone Subscriber

K3 is there any talk about trying to get this through congress again maybe and not trying to stir the pot but what about getting some of the bigger FPD's involved since most are union and not trying to make it a union/non union or volunteer/paid thing but the AFFI has made a lot of things happen for the IL. fire service over the years and maybe this would be something if we all worked together on would bennefit all of us.

Forum Member

We had a board when we were a district dept. We still have one now that we are a city dept.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Question Do districts get the money????

In an earlier reply k3twpfire said there was a legislative bill last year that would have provided the money to fire districts but it failed. ????

I copied this straight from the Illinois state website: **Added for emphasis

In each municipality or **fire protection district**, whether incorporated under a general or special law, which has a fire department established and maintained by municipal or fire protection district ordinances, every corporation, company, and association which is not incorporated under the laws of this state and which is engaged in effecting fire insurance in the municipality or fire protection district, shall pay to the treasurer of the municipality or to the secretary of the fire protection district for the maintenance, use, and benefit of the fire department thereof, a sum not exceeding 2% of the gross receipts received from fire insurance upon property situated within the municipality or district.

So, are districts required to set up FFT boards like municipalities??

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

No they are not required to so the money goes back into the general monies budget i.e. the chief can do what ever he wants to do with the monies instead of creating a board of firefighters and allowing us to use the monies how we deem appropriate, where as the law only mandates that municapal fire departments create a board. Yes all departments are covered by the law that reads fire departments can collect a 2% fund but it only reads that a municapal fire department has to create a board. So maybe we all should start calling our congress person and sending letters to the govoner about how this effects our fire protection districts. Also if anyone knows anybody in say Lisle or Lockport or any of the other big fire districts call them and see how they do it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Where on the states website does it say this?

HB1342 would have amended the fire protection district act to allow foreign fire insurance boards for FPDs.. but it never got out of committee.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd be willing to nudge my local politicians about this. Don't get me wrong, our board is fantastic about making sure we get everything we need as far as equipment and gear goes, but there could be some benefits for a firefighter controlled board to dictate 2% funding spending.

MembersZone Subscriber

I can think of how a non fulltime department could use the money like if they wanted to use it for things like say if everyone wanted to get a leather helmet or buy flashlights or even uniforms and the department could not afford them. I do know that fulltime departments use it from everything like helping the department purchase apparatus (st. charles squad and peoria's ambulance) to buying little things like recliners ,TV sets, dishes and silverware or even class A uniforms or exercise equipment. It appears that most use it for things that the department wouldn't normally buy it's members and unfourtuneitly for fire districts unless you have a exellent relationship with management where they care about their people we usually don't see the money.

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Here's the answer that you need: Call James Sinclair at 618-465-6978. He is the attorney for the Illinois Association of Fire Protection Districts. Ask him. The rest of us are just guessing based on "what we heard...."
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird210
    Here's the answer that you need: Call James Sinclair at 618-465-6978. He is the attorney for the Illinois Association of Fire Protection Districts. Ask him. The rest of us are just guessing based on "what we heard...."
    That's good advice right there.
    But I think that a reference to 2% is actually union terminology for the money that the fire department gets from foreign fire tax and contractually, the union gets to designate what the money is used for. For instance; I know a full time department just east of me uses foreign fire tax money to fund much of their fire prevention program. 2% of the foreign fire tax money also goes to the department and I know that have purchased things for the TV room and kitchen.
    I said "I think".
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

The Union and 2% FFT have nothing DIRECTLY in common. Our Foreign Fire Tax Board is made up of both full and part-time members.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    The Union and 2% FFT have nothing DIRECTLY in common. Our Foreign Fire Tax Board is made up of both full and part-time members.
    Mikey is right, about the union and the 2% money are two totally separate things. We just have union members that make up the board. We control it. The only thing we have to do is give the city an annual budget on what we are going to spend.

Thread Information