Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: rehab policies

MembersZone Subscriber

Default rehab policies

I am looking for policies regarding rehab at fire incidents, or other large scale incidents. If anyone knows of a website to access this information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

wacres763

MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

well im not sure about a website or what other departments porcedures are concerning rehab, but this is what my department does. basicly it all kinda depends on how many firefighters we have on scene. at some fires we may only have four firefighters, and some we may have as many as 15. we always keep two people on each hoseline, nobody ever does anything alone, hence the reason why only having a few firefighters at hand would change rehab operations. however, in an ideal situation, we have members of our department that are "operational support personnel" and not firefighters. these people are in charge of getting water and gatoraid to the scene and passing water out to firefighters, and they can also run empty air bottles back to the station and refill them if the situation calls for such. the amount of time each firefighter spends actually fighting fire depends on factors such as how many personnel are on scene, the temperature (because if its 105 outside then you dont want to overwork your firefighters for fear of heatstroke or dehydration), and the job each firefighter is performing. of course, firefighters working exterior operations may be able to work longer than firefighters working interior operations. when an IC (incicdent commander) feels a team or firefighter needs rest, he will instrust another firefighter to take their place and order that firefighter to then take a rest. the firefighter is required to take off their jacket, hood and helmit and is given refreshments. they also may be checked by medical personnel on scene to make sure they are not overworking themselves, or in any medical danger. after a few moments of rest, the firefighter may be put back into action.

as i said before, these procedures may vary from each department. but very well planed procedures regarding rehab operations increases firefighter safety and helps make sure your firefighters will have healty and long careers.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you have enough people, which is hard to do. After 2 bottles you go to ems and get checked out against your baselines that were taken last. if you aren't doing well relax and eat pizza.
    J

Quote Originally Posted by wacres763
    I am looking for policies regarding rehab at fire incidents, or other large scale incidents. If anyone knows of a website to access this information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

wacres763
    We run a rehab unit, and I was not a big fan of it in the begining, but to be honest it works and you know how change is in fd's. Any ways everyone has the understanding once you go through 2 bottles you go to rehab. I do believe that if the temp is above 80 you get your vitals, drink and sit down for 12-15 minutes.If it's under 80 you go and sit for 10 min. We run a trailer and a pickup (brush truck) for rehab we set up a easy up tent or what ever you want to call it,plastic chairs ,clock/thermometer,generator for lights at night,and to run a misting fan,tables for paper work,water in coolers,bp cuffs/stethoscopes,and more equip. we also run our squad where ever the rehab unit goes to. Also our neighboring fd's are calling us for rehab wich is good for there people. Last week alone we had 3 runs with it,and the neighboring fd's will pay for or replace what you use. If you want I could send you are sog and set up of the rehab unit just let me know where to send it.BE SAFE!

Exclamation

Our department has a policy that states 2 bottles and then rehab. However if the weather conditons hot or extremly cold we go to a one bottle rule.
    The problem you get is when its not a fire alarm however an extrication or other style of rescue. We need to get some type of rehab for them as well if its a long call. We lack on that alot..

Forum Member

My old department would consider weather,type of fire,and how many people were on scene.Usually when you came out to change your airbottle,you had your vitals checked and if they looked hinky,you got to sit for a while and partake of "The Elixir of Life" before being checked again for return to duty.
    Usually we'd have an Igloo type cooler on board both front line rigs and if additional people respond after the first alarm,they are told to bring as many waters or sports drinks as possible from the station fridge.
    We've had calls go long enough that someone was sent to Mickie D's and even a couple where a restaraunt brought us drinks and snacks.
    Even with officers looking after the troops,you need to be tough enough to back out if you're feeling light headed or more tired than usual.
    Last edited by doughesson; 07-30-2006 at 05:09 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool How it should go......

I think rehab. should be done on all calls were the crew or crews have been working.....
    I have seen some Departments use their Prevention Bureau for this task, and it works.
    Additional Chiefs have also been used in rehab.
    You should look at all of your resources and see what works best for your Department. If you have a good working relation with Law Enforcement don't hesitate to get them involved, they usually have C.O.P. (Citizens on Patrol), M.P. (Mounted Patrol) or something of that sort that are usually willing to help. The problem I have found is that mobilizing these folks is sometimes like pullin' teeth from a crocodile......
    If you keep the rehab. responsibility in house (within your Department) they should be easier to mobilize, however make sure they are able to make it to the scene in a reasonable time...... I think reasonable is by the time the first due attack company is needed to be swapped out of air bottles, etc.
    If there is going to be a delay, then don't hesitate to add them to your initial dispatch...... I know it's a new concept that some people are going to be thinking "w.t.f. are you serious?" and my answer is YES!!!!! What are we afraid of, our own people coming to the scene with us, heaven help......?
    Well, I hope that helps........ once again, a Left Coaster just giving his advice.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wacres763
    wacres763

Here is a link to Wake County's EMS policy for fire scene rehab. http://www.wakegov.com/NR/rdonlyres/...sponse2006.pdf

We go through 2 bottles before we ever even go to rehab, so that is when this EMS protocal takes effect.

Forum Member

Default Rehab

We do something very similar to what MIKEYBOY was talking about. We are an on-call dept. however our local ambulance service is comprised mainly of FF's from our dept. Therefore our working relationship is world class. On all reported or confirmed structure fires at least 1 ALS ambulance is dispatched. Their job is first to assure the well-being of the residents/owners. If there are any issues there, they will transport and call in a second unit for running the rehab sector. If there are no health issues with the owner/resident, then they go directly into re-hab mode. Rehab is setup directly in the back of the ambulance so that should any issue arise they can easily load a pt. and transport. They are like the Safety officer's side-kick so they report directly to COMMAND, so as not to interfere with any fire ground operations.

FF's are required to report to rehab after two scba bottles or whenever directed to do so by a commanding officer.

We can also request an ambulance for rehab on any scene we feel necessary. If the ambulance crew feels they cannot handle the volume of FF's needing to be rehabed they may also request a second ALS ambulance to the scene. (only done twice in the last 10 years)

This system works very well for us.

MembersZone Subscriber

Any working fire in out local gets 1 ALS ambulance, and a rehab truck that the EMS company has. It can be special called at any time for any event, but it's on the boxcard for working fires. Montco, PA also has a few trucks around the county with ice chests and the nice cool vests in them. We are also fortunate enough to have a Canteen unit in the county that can be called for any reason. Usually they respond with a food truck, and a shelter van with heating for winter, and A/C for summer, plus it has a real nice bathroom in it. Our new boxcard will have the canteen automatically dispatched on any 3rd alarm or greater fire, and like I said, can special call it anytime.

Thread Information