Forum Member

Default 2.5' hose maximum gpm

What is the max. gpm of a 2.5' hose? It does not need to be held at all, it is laying on the ground and is used to move water away from a well house.

MembersZone Subscriber

Asheville, North Carolina, United States of America

Post Friction loss Friction loss Friction loss

You do not state what type of pump you will be using or the distance it will be pumped, but in THEORY you could get 1,000 gpm through a garden hose IF the hose would hold the pressure and the pump would put it out. Not likely or feisable though. The most you could plan to get with any efficiency over long distances (500 to 1,000 feet) with a 2-1/2" line would be from 200 to 350 gpm and on short distances 350 to 600 gpm, if the pump will put enough pressure on it to overcome the friction loss and has the rated capacity.
    Pray for the dead, fight like hell for the living! - Mother Jones

Forum Member

Sorry I did not include those things, but you can probably tell I do not know what about this sort of thing. I am using 250 feet of fire hose, I can't really get more specific than that at this point. As for the pump, it is a vertical turbine pump that sits above a city's municipal well. I don't know the significance of the type of pump but I am fairly certain if can pump at a higher rate than it needs to for maximum discharge.

Also is there an equation of some sort used to figure out the discharge in multiple situations? Or a website with the information?
    Last edited by sdehring; 07-31-2006 at 08:43 AM.

Forum Member

Depends entirely on the length of hose and the pressure available at the inlet and desired at the outlet but for a rough ballpark for not more than a thousand feet use 250 GPM as a conservative number.

When I get to work I will dig up the real numbers so you can play with them.

Birken

Forum Member

We got about 580 gallons through 200' 2.5" hose, that was with our 1500 gpm engine through the Elkhart R.A.M monitor. We also got just over 900gpm or 1000gpm(can't rememberthe exactgpm) using a 50' 2.5" to the rear of a 75' aerial fully retracted.

MembersZone Subscriber

ecfr: Just out of curiosity, what was your PDP to the RAM, what kind of hose were you using, and what was your nozzle pressure?

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by sdehring
    What is the max. gpm of a 2.5' hose? It does not need to be held at all, it is laying on the ground and is used to move water away from a well house.
    In reality, without knowing the pumps gallons per minute capacity at what pressure this question is almost totally unanswerable.

Here is what I mean...if the pump will pump 2000 gpm but only at 20 psi you aren't going to move water very far through 2 1/2 inch hose. On the other hand if it pumps 20 gpm at 250 psi you will move that for what seems like forever through 2 1/2 inch hose.

More info is needed to give a valid answer.

FyredUp

Thread Information