MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fisrt due to an MVA

I was wonder what most other departments choose to run first due to an MVA, there engine or rescue. I am talking strictly fire related here, not ambulances. For example you get a call for an MVA with injuries is your rescue out the door first or your engine?
    You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.

Forum Member

We run the rescue first, then an engine.

MembersZone Subscriber

Engine and a rescue are the first alarm for all MVA's with reported injuries, roll overs, vehicles in the water or down an embankment. Engine only for minor accident with fluids on the road/wires down.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber

Duplicate post
    Last edited by KenNFD1219; 07-30-2006 at 09:20 AM.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber

our first out units are :

from station 1
    T-126 - our quint

from station 2
    our newest rig - 2005 crimson

Forum Member

We Roll our engine first, usually it is all that rolls unless there is enough manpower for the salvage unit. The Engine is set up to be all that is needs, has all rescue supplys on it, jaws(powerhawk), and what not

Forum Member

We run engine first, then our squad next.

Forum Member

Generally we have our utility (rescue) on the road first, 3 Members on board followed by our Pumper very shortly after with 6 Members..Our Suburban generally runs MVA's to do Traffic Control
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Truckie

In my home town, the full time day staffers will run out the medic, and which ever district it's in, they will dispatch an engine staffed by the vollies.
    Last edited by SPFDRum; 07-27-2006 at 04:44 PM.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

Engine and Rescue to all MVA.
    Jeremy Quist
    Chief
    LVFD
    Laurel, NE

Not the end of the earth, but you can see clods falling off from here.

Forum Member

On MVA, we have 2 rescues that roll first, then engine if staffing permits. Both rescues double as mini-pumpers and are both equiped with full medical and extrication tools.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our tools are on the engine, so that's what we roll. If we did have a rescue, I'd still have the guys roll the engine first, for scene safety issues. No good to have a bunch of tools if you can't use them due to a fire someone didn't report, or a bunch of fuel on the ground that could cause a fire.

Forum Member

Whichever.

1st due Engine is CDL class.

Rescue isn't.

Drivers with a CDL or 2Q (CT's non CDL apparatus heavy truck license) take the Engine first since you don't know if another CDL driver will respond.

If they don't have a CDL, they take the Rescue.

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

We have a rescue pumper so engine first. However, before we got that piece we ran the rescue first for many years. Personally, I want that engine blocking the lane if I have to be out in the road.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

We run our Rescue Engine first to MVA's if you are talking strictly fire. But first to any MVA is our first out medic unit.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

We run are engine first to any MVA...even if it is only manned by one person...the idea is to get the big truck in proper position to secure the scene so we have a safe working area.

Forum Member

We run our Rescue Engine 1st out and if manpower is available we will run our Medic 2nd out. www.hickorycreekfire.org

Forum Member

Combination dept here...each station has at least one f/t career FAE (or CPT) staffing, several stations staff 1-2 FAE + 1 CPT. Vollies may staff if they have time + desire, however POV response from home is "the norm" (flow of traffic--no lights/sirens permitted in CA).

Standard MVA response is 2 heavies, excepting the "north-central" station, their extrication gear is on their Patrol...and they're the only station in the County set up that way. Everywhere else, extrication is on the Engines (there are no "Rescues" here--we have Engines, Patrols, one Aerial Truck, one Breathing Support, and Utilities--SUVs and pickups with a few hand tools and a BLS bag).

MembersZone Subscriber

We roll our rescue truck first. We figure dispatch doesnt always get the info from the witnesses. I know so Depts. roll there engine first because of haveing fire involved in the wreck!! Hope this helps..Chuck

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cgunter
    We roll our rescue truck first. We figure dispatch doesnt always get the info from the witnesses. I know so Depts. roll there engine first because of haveing fire involved in the wreck!! Hope this helps..Chuck
    SOP for us is first on-scene Engine (or Patrol, on 2+ staffed stations we typically roll 1 on the Engine and 1 on the Patrol instead of 2 on the Engine...or 2 Engines if the station is so equipped) pulls & charges a minimum 1.5" "jump line" (typically the bumper preconnect) for fire protection before taking patient care/extrication actions.

TAs in the designated "Wildland Response Area" (I-5 from the Kings/Kern line north to the Kings/Fresno line and I-5 west to the Kings/Monterey or Kings/SLO lines) during fire season get a full Wildland response--3 heavies and 4 Patrols until cancelled by the first on-scene unit or a BC.

Forum Member

MVC Response:

1. Engine 4 (2006 ALF)
    2. Rescue 1 (1996 Freightliner)
    3. Engine 3 (1995 Freightliner)
    4. Utility 8 (1980's Suburban)

Everything after Engine 4 is based on member response. Ussually we can get enough people to get the engine out, though it has been close a few times. Also all our engines carry a portable hurst generator and at least one combi tool. Our rescue carries the heavier tools.
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

Default A Question regarding this thread????

I would like to pose a question that has to do with the title of this thread. This is directed to the folks that roll an Engine 1st and that may or may not have extrication equipment on board. And your standard response is 1st out Engine 2nd out Rescue and so on. You are on an all volunteer department or a combination department.

Lets say you are dispatched to a 2 vehicle MVA with unknown entrapment. Your Engine has 3 personnel on it and when it arrives you find that you have 1 patient heavily entraped. At this point you discover you do not have anymore responders enroute to the station to respond with your Rescue. Is it now that you start rethinking responding with an Engine 1st out? I know the standard response would be to depend on auto or mutual aid or request a second tone (entrapment alarm). But, is leaving that rescue equipment at the station really that smart?

Forum Member

MVA with no reports of smoke or fire:
    Rescue 1 - late 80's ford/E-One with Walk around box Holmatro tools, ability to run up to 4 tools at the same time. Has full BLS medical supplies
    Engine 2 - 1990 E-one cyclone. Has BLS jump kit.
    Rescue 2 - F-350 with medical, water rescue, and tech rescue stuff
    Also the ambulance service will send a ALS unit if available or a BLS unit with ALS back up. They send their own squad if there is entrapment.

If there is fire we simply send Engine 2 first and probably Engine 3 before Rescue 2.

Forum Member

Combo Department - 1 24/7 man with an 8-5 paid firefighter 7 days a week and a FT Chief in the house M-F 8-5. All are based at our Central Station.
    Rescue and an Engine housed here.

4 Other Stations are all volunteer

We roll the Rescue from Central Station first, and an lengine from either Central Station (daytime or when a 2nd driver is riding out) or the closest all-vollie station.

Exception is the interstate which gets a 2nd engine w/ a combi-tool (both of the engines stations near the interstate exits have a tool) heading in the oppisite direction of the first responding engine, as many times, the reported direction of travel is incorrect.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 08-02-2006 at 05:55 PM.

Forum Member

For a an MVA not involving fire:
    - Heavy rescue
    - 1st due Engine
    - light rescue (EMS)
    - 2nd due engine (traffic)
    - Utility truck (traffic)

For MVA's involving fire:
    - 1st due engine
    - Heavy rescue
    - Tanker
    - Light rescue
    - 2nd due engine (traffic)
    - Utility truck (traffic)
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thread Information