Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Halligan+Axe vs. Halligan+Sledge

I've had the opportunity to use both, and I know it's been discussed on here before in small tidbits.... but when do you replace your flathead axe with a sledge for use in an "Irons" configuration?

I'd rather carry a sledge all the time with the halligan because if I needed a thin edge to drive into something, I could just use the fork, or drive in the point.... Oh screw it, if I need to get into/through something that bad, use the damn sledge!

So yeah, when do you change it out, if you do at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Heavy duty doors such as project buildings...Metal on Metal, or heavily fortified doors with multiple locks, were the hinge side might be quicker. Thats when we opt to go for the sledge....but the axe can also gain you leverage the sledge cant such as a caddy-cornerd apt door. The option is up to the irons that day....his experiance and the building will guide his decision from run to run. There is no pancea for this operation.......know your buildings and be aware of your surroundings.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

personally I prefer to carry the axe with the irons all the time. Even when I'm going to the projects. Sometimes you don't need that brute force on the project doors; you just need to finesse the fork around the jam. The only time I like to take a maul is if I have the roof in a project or if a building is all cinder blocked up!

Forum Member

Hey Vin, I have'nt seen you around here in a while! Anyways why don't you just stick to your thingy that sprays water!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by firefiftyfive
    Hey Vin, I have'nt seen you around here in a while! Anyways why don't you just stick to your thingy that sprays water!!!!
    HAHA.....I love it how you guys scramble when it gets a wee bit hot, screaming "get the line in there...."....waaaaaa.......
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

I've used both. I prefer 8 lbs. Axe/Halligan combo. I think it would be very rare (and I've never seen it) where the difference between a maul vs. Axe made the difference. As said before, if you know how to use a Halligan properly, the axe is enough to drive the tool.

My reasons for perfering the axe; the striking surface of the back of the axe vs. the striking surface of the maul is better (hold the two up against the Halligan and you'll see the difference). The axe can easily be used to keep a purchase in the door while the Halligan is re-positioned. The axe makes a nice Chock for the fire-apartment door, with a long yellow handle to grab and remove it if conditions deteriorate and the door must be closed.

Now this is not to say that guys who use the Maul are wrong. We have guys in my company who use it very, very well. What ever you decide, have a reason for it! Give it some thought, way the pros and cons and make an educated choice.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB
    HAHA.....I love it how you guys scramble when it gets a wee bit hot, screaming "get the line in there...."....waaaaaa.......

Hold up the line we got it with the can!!!

Quote Originally Posted by firefiftyfive
    Hold up the line we got it with the can!!!
    Yeah...but that wouldn't be a job then.......And I know how you are all about "the can".....
    IACOJ Member

Ever thought about a TNT tool?
    Service is the rent you pay for having space on earth.

Forum Member

You look more like a fireman with an axe...but a sledge will work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by HFRH28
    Please tell me you don't mean this P.O.S...

One of the most worthless tools I can imagine trying to use. I know I wouldn't want the hook from the pike end digging into me as I try to use it as an axe, or even trying to pull a wall or ceiling with the axe's blade right there... Just a bad combination, and you still need a second tool to go along with it!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Most of the time we use the axe with the halligan, but it depends on the building we're at. I agree the TNT tool only works well on paper.

Forum Member

Ever heard of a Maul, use that with a halligan then you have a sledge, an axe and your halligan so you can take on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by 27Truck
    Ever heard of a Maul, use that with a halligan then you have a sledge, an axe and your halligan so you can take on anything.

No, whats a maul?
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl
    No, whats a maul?
    Isnt that where all the teenagers hang out?
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

It is an axe with a head that is almost as heavy as a sledgehammer, and the back (striking) side of it is basically just like a sledgehammer.

http://www.cornerhardware.com/howto/ht084.html

Even though I am not all that big I tend to favor heavy tools for most anything. For forcing doors, etc. a sledge or maul is nice because you don't have to swing so fast (on the floor, in the dark, on your back) to apply the necessary force to the Halligan. However for tasks like cutting out a windshield, a maul would be just too heavy. And you would be about dead after cutting a roof with one.

Birken

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue
    Please tell me you don't mean this P.O.S...

One of the most worthless tools I can imagine trying to use. I know I wouldn't want the hook from the pike end digging into me as I try to use it as an axe, or even trying to pull a wall or ceiling with the axe's blade right there... Just a bad combination, and you still need a second tool to go along with it!

We call that a Denver Tool.

I HATE those things. Most awkward thing I've ever tried to drag through a building. We have a few who love 'em, but I don't even think they make good door stops.

MembersZone Subscriber

The tool you grab will depend on the building you have. If the building is frame then an axe will work well. Oh, about the axe get a good 8 lb flat head http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...flat_head_axe/ the six pound axe it too light for striking and too light for choping on the firescene.
    We have all used 6lb axes, but once you try an 8 you'll never go back.
    If your in a concrete structue, block or tilt up etc. then go with the 8 lb maul or 10 lb sledge. There is nothing to chop so why would you bring the axe? Bring the tools that match the building.
    How often do you see guys going into a building with a 6' or shorter hook that has 12' ceilings? Bring the tool that you can use, not the one you think looks cool to carry. Also, no closet hooks please their is nothing a closet hook can do that a halligan can't do better. So bring the tool with the most bang for your buck.

I sling the irons over my shoulder and carry the sledge in my hand.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Thread Information