Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vetter bags

Forum Member

Red face vetter bags

Hi all, i'm a jnr ff. My superior just challenged us to tell him why nitrogen not oxygen is used to inflate vetter bags. We all thought it had to do with flammability but he said that's not the answer he's looking for. The first one to get the answer gets two days off! Please help.

god

ok, i found another idea...i googled it (couldn't find anything related to vetter bags). On Wikipedia, they said it can be used "for filling automotive and aircraft tires due to its inertness and lack of moisture or oxidative qualities, as opposed to air...."

so i would assume the same principle applys to the bags.
    Last edited by mikie333; 07-28-2006 at 06:43 PM. Reason: i had a bad answer before

Forum Member

Without answering it for you... It's the same reason it's used to fill tires.

hay i think whot it is is that by filling it with nitro it would be more durable

sorry it's so the air bag will deploy faster and deflate.

Uh. Riiiiight.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Default answer

Hi there, i am new to firefighting and rescue services as i have just been voted onto our dept this past june. I have not yet been trained on a "vetter bag" but i think i may have an answer for you. Alot of racing teams use nitrogen in their tires because nitrogen will not heat up and fluxuate like regular air does. It also won't hold moisture like compressed air will. I hope this helps you, unless it is too late already.

Uh, what in the H-E-doublehockeysticks is a vetter bag?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by clancyxdogg
    Uh, what in the H-E-doublehockeysticks is a vetter bag?
    An airbag,maybe.We usually used them as booster seats when someone brought their kid to Christmas Dinner more than we do at wrecks when I was on my old volunteer department.

Quick survey...how many departments carry Nitrogen tanks?

PS - Vetter is a brand name for high pressure lifting bags.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Oh, thanks Bones--
    our air bags are Hurst, and are filled by SCBA bottles. no Nitrogen here, nor have I ever heard of anyone who uses it.

We use ParaTek, also off SCBA bottle. I'm thinking the next task this person gets will be to find the missing water hammer.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I forget the brand of bags we have on the Rescue, but we use regular Scott bottles as well. Makes things easier since we already have a system in place to refill, and we're garanteed to have enough to fill however many bags we need.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    We use ParaTek, also off SCBA bottle. I'm thinking the next task this person gets will be to find the missing water hammer.

I've always heard of them being filled this way. The water hammer is in the same compartment as the SkyHook and Left-handed smokeshifter (for those real smokey rubbish fires).
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

They used this same speal for tires awhile ago, mostly it is just a pain in the a## all the way around, the adavntges don't out weigh the diss.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer
    I've always heard of them being filled this way. The water hammer is in the same compartment as the SkyHook and Left-handed smokeshifter (for those real smokey rubbish fires).
    I can see you've been studying for your praticals. lol!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer
    You guys have a left-handed smokeshifter? Man, I can't stand using the righty one, its so unwieldly when you're a lefty. Where'd you get yours?

Quote Originally Posted by BPFire1618
    You guys have a left-handed smokeshifter? Man, I can't stand using the righty one, its so unwieldly when you're a lefty. Where'd you get yours?

Firestore.com!!!!!!! They make the best ones!!!

So much higher quality than Galls.

And the practicals.......hell no. I've been around the Fire Department my entire freaking life, I told 19 year old rookies to find me the left-handed smoke shifter or Skyhook on the truck when I was 6. (Didn't hurt that my Dad was the crew Lt. and that I had been around longer than they had, I was considered to have more seniority than them. haha.....good memories of making rookies wash dishes have me laughing so hard im practically crying
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Lol, well hope you had your fun, cause those rookies...they have 13 years on the job now....and when you're a probie. You'll be cleaning toilets with YOUR toothbrush.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChicagoKid
    Lol, well hope you had your fun, cause those rookies...they have 13 years on the job now....and when you're a probie. You'll be cleaning toilets with YOUR toothbrush.
    See this is just one of the many reasons I am considered odd by some people...............I am going to LOVE every single minute of my probationary period.....just being around the firehouse is enough for me. I am our Capt. and if I tell guys to wipe down or wash down the trucks, help fill air bottles, rack, roll, wash, repack hose, etc.....I am right there next to them. I don't care what I have to do, I just plain LOVE being around the firehouse. I think being around it my entire life has been a major part of my crazy love for the fire service, that combined with the fact that they have been a second family to me my entire life.

so in short..................some people find me................FREAKING NUTS

Thread Information