Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Post Spartan/ Aerialscope Re-chassis ?

We are looking for a fire apparatus manufacture/ rebuilder to re-chassis a Mack Aerialscope on a new Spartan Gladiator cab & chassis . " ITE Fire Apparatus " will not mount a Aerialscope on a Spartan because it is a " Seagrave " dealership , they will only rebuild on a Mack cf chassis. The only other company is the " Advantage Fire Apparatus " from the state of Vermont, they sub out there work to a company in canada to due the scope rebuild & new aluminum body, But who do you get to do warrenty work a year from delivery !... Any fire departments know of a builder on the east coast or midwest that can re-chassis with a new " Spartan " .

Forum Member

Why have you decided on a Spartan Chassis. I believe Seagrave will re-mount on one of their chassis. It seems to me that to get the project done properly, would'nt it be wiser to go back to the OEM? There is no doubt, you would probably pay a little more, but I believe going back to the OEM would be smarter. My scope was refurbished by a manufacturer that was not part of the OEM and it was a disaster. Having experience with a Scope, which compares to nothing else on the market, the product itself is compromised of a very suffisticated hydraulic system which we now believe the OEM should be the one who works on it. This is the practice we use today. I suspect it's the money thing. You may want to re-think this. Just an opinion.

This is a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a thread.

Seagraves will not re-mount, they only want to sell new trucks. We went through it with them, that's why we went with Pierce.

http://www.birdsborofd.org/apparatus/tw7/

JERSEY: Don't know why you keep posting, there are no other options. See other threads.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

We are looking to save money on the rebuild due to a very tight yearly budget $$ , so far three builders gave us estimates on the Aerialscope rechassis,remount. " Seagrave " was $ 700,000- $ 750,000 with a stainless steel cab & body, " Pierce " was at $ 500,000 - $ 550,000 and " Advantage " from Canada was $ 425,000 - $ 450,00 depending on the exchange rate of the american dollar at purchase time. We would like to buy a Seagrave but $ 750,000 is a lot of money for our department . Can I ask you what builder refurbished your scope that turned out a disaster with the hydraulic system, so we don't make the same mistake twice !...
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 07-30-2006 at 09:09 AM.

Forum Member

If we can not find a builder that can rechassis with a " Spartan Gladiator " then it looks like we will go with " PIERCE " fire apparatus , at the cost of $ 500,000 - $ 550,000 it will save our department about $ 150,000 - $ 200,000 which is a lot of money for our fire department & the tax payers of the township. TO : Dragonfyre, Pierce did a great job rebuilding tower ladder 7 for your department, good luck with your new Scope and stay safe !...
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 07-29-2006 at 07:47 PM.

Forum Member

Post To : Dragonfyre

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfyre
    This is a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a thread.

Seagraves will not re-mount, they only want to sell new trucks. We went through it with them, that's why we went with Pierce.

http://www.birdsborofd.org/apparatus/tw7/

JERSEY: Don't know why you keep posting, there are no other options. See other threads.
    The Relief Hose Co #2 of Raritan Boro , N.J. ( Somerset County ) is having there 1979 Mack/Baker Aerialscope rebuilt and mounted on a new Seagrave Marurder II chassis cab. The old mack was sent to the seagrave factory in June and is due back in ( Sept ) !...
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 07-30-2006 at 12:53 PM.

Forum Member

The Company that refurbished our Scope is no longer in Business. It took going back to the OEM to straighten it out. My question is, were you working with one of the NJ dealers or did you go directly to ITE? I hear you on the bucks. It's tough these days with the prices climbing every day. I beleive in the all steel cab and body coming from a n all Mack and Seagrave department. You should check back with Seagrave on payment options. I think they would work with you. The original OEM is the way to go even with the higher amount. If you can, contact Raritan. See where they were at. Keep trying and good luck.

Forum Member

Smile To 1Truckie

Quote Originally Posted by 1truckie
    The Company that refurbished our Scope is no longer in Business. It took going back to the OEM to straighten it out. My question is, were you working with one of the NJ dealers or did you go directly to ITE? I hear you on the bucks. It's tough these days with the prices climbing every day. I beleive in the all steel cab and body coming from a n all Mack and Seagrave department. You should check back with Seagrave on payment options. I think they would work with you. The original OEM is the way to go even with the higher amount. If you can, contact Raritan. See where they were at. Keep trying and good luck.
    My fire department purchased a new 2005 1500gpm pumper in the year 2005 and we have to spend $ 125,000 on a new trunked radio system that will be in use in the near future. The radio system moneys came from our capital funds put away for future new apparatus. Thats why we are starting out with " zero " dollars in our account. The board of fire commisoners puts between $ 25,000 - $ 50,000 in capital money per year in a apparatus fund.We talked to ITE over the phone for information on refurbishing a Mack/Baker scope & rechassis ,new body etc. They said that the " Seagrave " factory will not sell them a cab & chassis , only a completed apparatus, and that Seagrave stopped mounting with chassis from " Spartan". We will try to contact the Raritan fire department to see there new Seagrave scope when it returns this fall , we are only about a half hour drive from them!.... Thanks, NJFFII

Forum Member

I see where you are coming from regarding the bucks issue. I went to the Seagrave Website and found that the Raritan Scope was sold by Bob Emery from Seagrave Sales & Service. His contact info is on the site or just contact the dealer. There is always a way to get around the enormous cost issues everyone is dealing with. I did hear that the Scope is no longer available on the Spartan. Seagrave does own the Scope, so I guess I could see their point. Good luck!

Exclamation I may have a solution.

NJFFII - PM or e-mail me -

I May have a Solution for you.

Stay Safe !!

Chris
    eastendfiresupply@verizon.net
    HOLD THE TRUCK... RETURN THE ENGINE... WE GOT IT WITH THE CAN..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by trkcoEMT
    NJFFII - PM or e-mail me -

I May have a Solution for you.

Stay Safe !!

Chris
    eastendfiresupply@verizon.net
    We are open to any cost saving ideas to " rechassis " the Mack cf / Baker !... Do you know of a apparatus company that can do this type of refurb?

Forum Member

Post VVT Fire Service

Any fire departments ever have major repair work done on your apparatus from this company. They remount , repair , pumps , aerials , motors , chassis , bodys , & welding.
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 03-03-2007 at 07:27 PM.

Cool Spartan / Scope Rechassis

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyFFII
    We are open to any cost saving ideas to " rechassis " the Mack cf / Baker !... Do you know of a apparatus company that can do this type of refurb?
    nj -

please email me @ E MAIL HERE

I will tell you more that way. The answer to your next post..

Yes, we can do that.

Chris
    Last edited by trkcoEMT; 08-05-2006 at 11:10 PM.
    HOLD THE TRUCK... RETURN THE ENGINE... WE GOT IT WITH THE CAN..

Forum Member

Default Cost of new Seagrave Chassis

NJFFII

I would implore you to contact a gentleman named Tim Steinmetz at the Seagrave factory. He is a miracle worker with the money. As you may have guessed by my screen name, I am the Seagrave dealer for the state of Illinois. If you contact the factory, they can patch you over to him.

I realy think it would be worth your while to call him.

Forum Member

To : Chicagoseagrave , we will contact Mr. Tim Steinmetz at the seagrave plant, the local Seagrave Sales & Service gave us a ballpark amount of $ 700,000.when we where there having repairs done on our pumper!... Thanks, NJFFII

Thread Information