Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Awesome story!!!!

Don't know how many have heard about this story but a little background about it.

This happened real close to where I live at. A brother firefighter for Brentwood TN was at work when a tornado struck his home in Hendersonville TN while his wife and children were there.

Here so you dont have to click on link. My following post contain more information from the beginning of the story.

From extreme hardship to Extreme Makeover
    TV show rebuilds home leveled by storm

By SYLVIA SLAUGHTER
    Staff Writer

HENDERSONVILLE — The mother whose body lay between her two young sons and death in a devastating F3 tornado in April received a surprise visitor Friday.

Ty Pennington, his bullhorn in hand, arrived at the temporary home of Amy Hawkins, her husband Jerrod and their sons, Jair, 6, and Cole, 3.

The hyper host of the popular ABC reality show "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" bellowed, "HAWKINS FAMILY, COME ON OUT!"

Jerrod walked to the door, the boys ran and Amy, 34, who was paralyzed from the waist down while covering her sons' bodies with her own during the April 7 tornado, wheeled her chair.

The couple had heard rumors that they might get a home makeover, but they didn't believe it.

Besides, they didn't have a home to make over: They had lost their home in the tornado and were living in a temporary farmhouse while Jerrod, also 34, waited for Amy to get well enough to talk with him about rebuilding.

Amy, whose vertebrae and ribs were crushed, her lungs punctured and her head traumatized, was just dismissed in mid-July from the renowned Shepherd Center, a rehab hospital in Atlanta.

She is busy continuing her intensive and painful therapy at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

Thoughts of a home of her own were undermined by her persistent will to walk again, time back in Jerrod's arms and catching up with her sons' growth spurts during her almost four-month hospital stay.

She was humbled by the gift of the home, she said at the building site Friday before she and her family were to be whisked today to a week's vacation at Disney World.

The Hawkins' new home will be built on the site of their old home, where a small American flag flew, a massive oak still lay toppled and a tree was still tilting where the wind blew a pair of scissors into it.

Amy had first visited the land where her home stood last week.

The site didn't bother her as much as she thought it would. "I had to visit it," she said. "It wasn't going to be real until I saw the site. Now, I have closure."

Having an "Extreme Makeover" home built there wouldn't bother her at all, Donna Hawkins, Jerrod's mother, said.

"Jerrod, Amy … They're just so humbled that so many people have cared about them and their loss. … They're already talking about how they can pay those people back."

Hundreds of thousands of people responded to the Hawkins' plight as word spread across the United States and abroad about the mother who risked her life to save her sons.

People called her a hero, and at least 70,000 of them throughout the Midstate and elsewhere petitioned "Extreme Makeover" to help the family.

Though the Hawkinses don't know what the "Extreme Makeover" team, the townsfolk and other volunteers will build for them, the couple does know that the home will be state-of-the-art and wheelchair-friendly.

Jerrod hopes it will have a safe room.

Amy's mother, Marsha Koenings-Hurst, of Rockford, Ill., will stay behind in the rental house and be the consultant between Pennington and company.

Koenings-Hurst hopes that the "Extreme" crew will remember that grandson Cole loves stuffed cows.

Three of them made it through the tornado.

As members of the show helped the family pack for their vacation, Cole pulled his clothes out of his suitcase and replaced them with the salvaged cows.

"He sleeps with them," grandmother Hawkins said. "Since the storm, they have been his security."

So have his mother and his dad, a Brentwood firefighter.

"Jerrod and Amy, they believe in family," grandmother Hawkins says. "… My daughter-in-law … she amazes me. The other day she was telling me that she played tennis with the boys. She served some, now she's looking for a tape on how to play tennis in a wheelchair. She's a survivor, my son's a survivor, my grandsons are survivors. They bless us by their being."
    Last edited by Tann3100; 07-29-2006 at 01:00 PM.
    IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Tann:

This is an awesome story! Jerrod is originally from my hometown, Byron (IL), and worked on the Byron F.P.D. with my brother before moving to TN. His wife is from Rockford (IL), where I work, and the local paper had this story on the front page this morning. It is great to see good things happen to good people when hardship strikes.

Also, thank you to all that signed the petition for them to get on the Extreme Makeover Show!

Nick Dinges
    rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Good Neighbors at Their Best.......

Folks in some other parts of the world could certainly learn something from the people of Middle Tennessee. I have a Son and daughter-in-law who live South of Lebanon, in Wilson County. Several times since they moved there in 1994, they've worked along with their neighbors to help repair a home after a Tornado struck.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Has this episode aired already?
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

not yet they have not relased a air date as soon as they release one I will post it in this thread

Take care
    Tann
    IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Great story. What that mother did, I truly consider heroic. As much as the word "hero" is tossed around these days, it's nice to see an example where someone's actions are actually considered heroic (in my opinion!). I'll be eager to see that episode when it airs!
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Truly KUULL great story Tan.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

I just recevied an e-mail with more information for those who signed the petition. The build will begin Monday July 31 and the family will return August 4th. Here is the link with the build information:

http://www.capitolhomesoftn.com/ExtremeFamily.htm

I took a look at some of the pages and wished I lived closer so I could actually see this take place. They promise to post photos on the web site showing the progress throughout the week.

MembersZone Subscriber

I know some guys that work over there at HFD and they will be taking some pictures.
    IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

Thread Information