Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any Advice?

Forum Member

Default Any Advice?

I have been promoted to Engineer! I am really excited but nervous. I am looking for any advice for a new engineer. Everything will go in my "toolbox". Thanks for your help.

There's probably a million things, but my two biggies (since I assume you can already pump the truck if they made you an engineer) are to make sure you leave the front of building open for the truck if you have one, and make sure when you spot your rig you look out for overhead wires that could come down on your rig if the fire gets away from you.

Forum Member

In addition to 801's sage comments, consider these between the station and the address of the job. You're driving a bus/truck combination. Consider not only the safety of the crew, but their comfort, too. In order for them to perform well, they need to have absolute confidence in you. Giving them smooth ride (limited, obviously, by the road surface conditions and the vehicle's suspension) will go miles to make them believe in your abilities.

Somebody many years ago gave me a great definition of "good" when it comes to driving. Maybe it's application to emergency vehicles is limited, but it's still something to think about.

Take a cowbell, and set it on (your car's) transmission tunnel. If you can drive the car all day and never ring the cowbell, you can call yourself good.

I promise you, I have never achieved that level of "good."

One other item - Seat belt on, each time, every time! Not only you, but the crew, too.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!
    Last edited by chiefengineer11; 07-30-2006 at 05:52 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Make your job easier.....

As a fellow Engineer, I have taken the advice you have been given and implemented most of them; not sure about the cowbell advice though...... it's cool and I am a Cowboy but drive the vehicle with due regard and safety in mind always!
    To make your pump pressures faster, make a "cheat sheet": Taking the flows from your nozzles and write them down, figure all of your friction loss in a non-stress environment and make a chart with the total Engine pressures on it. Next, if your Department uses Combination Nozzles and Smoothbore Tips adjust the Engine Pressure as accordingly. I use 50 (Smoothbore tip/handline), 70 (Low pressure combination), 80 (Smoothbore tip/Masterstream) and 100 (Combination nozzles) for my Nozzle Pressures.
    If you have multiple vehicles for check out each shift, then bring the FF or FFs up to a point where they can perform the check outs for or with you. The whole delegation authority...... Plus, I think it's cool to empower your people, it shows you are concerned with helping them become better and generaly care about 'em.
    I hope that with this advice and the advice that the other fine gentlemen have given you helps.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

All good advice ^^^^^!

I would add the following:

Never out-drive the apparatus! Drive at a speed YOU feel comfortable with. Never let anyone make you to speed up if your not sure about handling the unit at a faster speed. Better to take an extra 30 seconds responding, than to never get to the scene at all!
    Drive as though it's your family that is in the cars ahead of you...You never know, they just may be.

ALWAYS wear your seatbelt! Make certain everyone else does too!

Make it known to all that if they remove a piece of equipment from the unit, you are to be told. You are ultimately responsible for the inventory.

Make sure the bay doors are completely open before going through them. Also, make certain the unit is clear before closing them!

If it's not already an SOP, do a complete inventory and equipment check at the beginning of your shift. Don't take someone else's word that everything is accounted for and in working order.

Always do a visual (meaning actually look into the tank) water level check as part of your routine check-in procedure. Don't rely solely on the tank level lights.

Expect the unexpected...Know how to troubleshoot pump anomalies, and when something can't be quickly figured out, start over from the beginning. You might have simply missed a step.

Always double check that the parking brake has been set!

Confirm ALL compartment and cab doors are closed before moving the unit.

Whenever possible, use a groundsman when backing!!!!!

Know where you're going BEFORE you leave the station!

Most of the things above are SOP in my dept.
    All of the things above come from experience...Mine!

Good luck, and stay safe!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Thread Information