Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default phenix leather helmets

ive looked so please be gentle?? i own sam houston and love i me love it!!! how is the phenix only 55 ounces?? is it pleather like the paul conway?? sorry to you guys that own them i just do not like them!! i like the look of my some say it looks like a top hat sam houston!!! but its awesome!! just anyone that owns a phenix leather or have had the chance to wear one i would like some info on them, im just looking in case our department goes back to black and ive heard its bad luck to have ur helmet repainted? mine is not seasoned well but has seen a few fires since i bought it last yr. thanks for the info brothers and sisters

MembersZone Subscriber

Awaiting delivery of my first TL-2.. should be here early next week. Not pleather, had the chance to see one up close at a convention, looks to be a really great helmet, slightly lighter and rides well. Best thing if you want more info is to go to 'phenix's' own website or try www.signal50.com which is where I ordered my helmet from.

If this thread is still around (doubtful) when I get the lid and have at least worn it on one shout, I'll update you.

Cheers
    Last edited by Fawlty; 07-31-2006 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Typo.. tut tut

MembersZone Subscriber

ok thanks i own a sam houston and was just curious on how the phenix was all leather and to be so light? i emailed the guys at sig50 and got a great response back, thinking about ordering one? hope the wife dont read this!!

MembersZone Subscriber portable75's Avatar

I bought a new one on Ebay for a crazzzy $300.00 still had the tags. Its so light. The leather is softer and less shine than the Cairns. I have a Sam Houston. Its a little bigger in size.

MembersZone Subscriber

anyone have pics?? seen the ones on the web site i would like to see a working model?? lol

MembersZone Subscriber

Well here's the update I promised.
    Just as Portable75 mentioned above, the leather is soft.. you can bend the brim with just moderate pressure (it does return to normal shape).. the booklet states it was designed to be more flexible to help reduce shock to the wearer should something fall on the brim.. seems weird to me, but oh well.. The paint is less shiny and appears to flex with the helmet.. As for weight, much, much lighter.. feels like tactical tupperware from a weight point of view.

My only criticism so far is that the guts aren't as good as the Cairns.. the front band is plastic and rides up on my forehead (yeah, no hair for friction) plus it gives the helmet a slight wobble when you look up or down, plus I can feel parts of the plastic band digging into my scalp slightly (refer to the lack of hair comment above).

So take this info for what you will... It's a different helmet, best I could summarize it is tupperware for feel (negative) and weight (positive), leather for looks (positive).

Cheers

A few guys on my Department bought the leather Phenix lids.. they love them... my next lid will be a Phenix (I already have both the New Yorker and Sam Houston lids)
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Not to cause a stir or problem... but every other thread with info on the phenix TL-2 has said that the helmet is a composite shell that is compressed between 2 peices of leather? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Forum Member

You're talking about the Paul Conway leather.

MembersZone Subscriber

Can you give me a link to the phenix website? Every search I have done so far on google leads me to the paul conway helmet.

Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by o2cr125mx
    Can you give me a link to the phenix website? Every search I have done so far on google leads me to the paul conway helmet.

Thanks
    Here you go

MembersZone Subscriber

I have had a Phenix lid for 8 years. Much nicer than the new N5a and N6a but not as nice as my old 5A
    "Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself."

The leathers are nice.

But...You knew it ws coming...

Their plastics are the best...

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU
    The leathers are nice.

But...You knew it ws coming...

Their plastics are the best...
    True.. they make great salad bowls and also are an integral part of anyone's Darth Vader Halloween costume!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber cdemarse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    True.. they make great salad bowls and also are an integral part of anyone's Darth Vader Halloween costume!
    Definatly I have used one countless times.....It still shows no signs of wear from the microwave.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Default Lonestar!!!

Watch the whole clip I'm still laughing

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/..._LoneStar.html
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    A few guys on my Department bought the leather Phenix lids.. they love them... my next lid will be a Phenix (I already have both the New Yorker and Sam Houston lids)
    Bou is going to stand up and cheer.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Cool

I bought one the same time my buddy bought an N5A. So far so good. The main thing I wish it had was the stout suspension of the Cairns helmets. I do believe, if I remember correctly from what the dealer had explained, that there is a plastic core to them. I'm not sure though. it is suiting me fine I've had it a few months and haven't abused it too much to tell what sort of punishment it will take. A big selling point was that it came NFPA compliant with a shield, cheaper than the N5A alone. I'm pleased so far with it. And, with the plyability of the leather you can bend "cowboy" up the brim which is sweet and makes it unique.
    Last edited by nwvfd93; 09-07-2006 at 02:57 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

how about a few pics there fawlty? thanks

Plastic?????????? YUK!

Tactical Tuppperware is what that is!
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

Thread Information