MembersZone Subscriber

Question Wedding Tradition in the FD

Hey...I haven't posted in a while...but I recently got engaged and my Fiancee wants to have a traditional FD wedding....ONLY problem is I work as a DoD firefighter so we don't have a lot of tradition in our service yet. Can anyone help me out with some of the things you do around your departments so we have some ideas. My chief and base commander are pretty willing to accomodate anything we want within reason. They had a FD wedding a while back on our base, all they did was class a's, left the service in the ladder truck, and had crossed bumper turrets and ground monitors to leave under. any other ideas?

Thanks

Forum Member

I just got married in June........ All of the Groomsmen were firefighters or retired firefighters. I thought for awhile about what to get them for their gift because I didn't want to do the typical flask or keychain......... I wanted to do something different. I ended up getting them each a Leather front for a helmet. I knew that each had their own little collection of fire memorabilia so this way they could have a new addition.........

Each front had:

Name
    Groomsman (or Best Man)
    Brian & Brandy
    June 10, 2006

All of the shields were White and had Black bacgrounds with red writing (The wedding colors were white black and red).

We gave them to the guys at the rehearsal dinner and they all huddled up plotting....... They initially didn't know that I had bought one for myself until later that night when I pulled mine out to show them.

The wedding was outdoors at a gazebo. We had a DJ set up behind us, somewhat hidden from everyone. As my wife was being walked up the aisle by her father, I felt a nudge from the side. I looked over and my father (my best man) handed me a red helmet that had my helmet front on it. I looked down at the rest of the guys and they were all wearing black helmets with their fronts on them. Apparently as all of the guys walked up the aisle and stood in their spot the DJ handed each of them their helmet and handed my father both his and mine. They held the helmets behind their backs, out of sight. As my wife started to walk down the aisle, they all put them on and handed me mine to put on. Nobody else saw it because they were all watching her walk down the aisle so when they all turned around they were surprised. We weren't sure how the Mrs. would take it, so everyone was prepared to pull them off and just hold them, but she thought it was great!!

We also had our engine there for photos. After we were pronounced husband and wife, they guy who drove the engine out fired up the Federal Q.

At the reception, we all walked in to the song "Fire" by the Ohio Players.......

Oh yeah....... There were a few folks from here that were groomsman........ Weruj1, ffsmromstadt13, Fire40man, nfd159 was the engine driver......

Not really any traditions per se, just something different..........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for the ideas....anyone else out there with some?

MembersZone Subscriber

Can one consummate the marriage on the hosebed like in backdraft?....LOL
    You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.

MembersZone Subscriber

Any chance we can talk you out of getting married???? That would be my first piece of advise!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by osfd100
    Any chance we can talk you out of getting married???? That would be my first piece of advise!!!
    I second that motion. All those in favor, say "aye" !
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff
    I second that motion. All those in favor, say "aye" !
    Sorry...i'm afriad not...i'm getting married...and i'm really excited about it.

Permanently Removed

Bro- If I had a dollar for every Firefighter divorce. I am sorry, but I had to throw it in there.

I dont know how old you are, but the best advice I ever, ever got was to wait until 30 to get married. But thats only me.

And if I was to get married today, I would take the FD blend out of it. But thats just me because I like to keep work and play seperate.

-Bou
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 08-02-2006 at 02:29 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU
    Bro- If I had a dollar for every Firefighter divorce. I am sorry, but I had to through it in there. I

I dont know how old you are, but the best advice I ever, ever got was to wait until 30 to get married. But thats only me.

And if I was to get married today, I would take the FD blend out of it. But thats just me because I like to keep work and play seperate.

-Bou
    Don't take this the wrong way...but I didn't ask for marital advice...I asked for ideas for the Fire Department wedding my Fiancee wants. If you don't have anything to say on that subject, please keep the rest to yourself.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ksfireman82
    Don't take this the wrong way...but I didn't ask for marital advice...I asked for ideas for the Fire Department wedding my Fiancee wants. If you don't have anything to say on that subject, please keep the rest to yourself.
    AHH...I think you owe Calbou a little bit of an apology, he didn't deserve to get his hand slapped like that, others made (in)appropriate comments as well.....

Forum Member

I have been to approximately 15 FF weddings. To be honest with you only one incorporated any fire theme. The ring bearer was pulled down the isle (My son) in a small fire chiefs peddle car and the bride and groom rode out of the parking lot on the tailboard of the engine. You yourself will have to factor in the safety consideration of that one. The honeymoon wouldn’t be too fun with a C-collar on. My wedding didn’t include any fire theme except for my fellow LADD’s being there raising hell. One thing always remained constant at the FF reception- Alcohol! This ends up being the traditional “Drunk Firefighter Party”. Good luck to you.
    Last edited by Ladder5B; 08-02-2006 at 02:17 PM.

Permanently Removed

Ouch! Welcome to the fire service. Since I am on a roll here, I see an "82" in your ID. If by chance you were born in 1982, that would peg toy around 24. As a brother, 24 is too young to get married. I just dont want you to be like everyone else and admit in 3-5 years "I got married too young."

Ok, on the lighter side, invite me to the bachalor party and that will make everything better.

Love, Bou

Forum Member

I'm getting that warm and fuzzy feeling.
    One thing I forgot to mention about receptions / Firemen / Alcohol.
    An occasional fight may break out. Just keep the firemen away from the wedding cake.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ladder5B
    I'm getting that warm and fuzzy feeling.
    One thing I forgot to mention about receptions / Firemen / Alcohol.
    An occasional fight may break out. Just keep the firemen away from the wedding cake.

and any off-duty cops

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Congratulations

KSFireman82

Don't listen to negative comments. Some comments are from the heart, some of them are out of fear of failure on their end and some are just busting your chops. I think you are blessed to have found someone you love enough you want to marry. I pray for strength and patience in your union. I am sure she is proud of you and will support you.

God bless your wedding and I hope you have a hellava party, Firehouse style! I really like the whole idea of incorporating the Fire Dept theme in the wedding. Great ideas from firenresq77! You know on Ladder 49 they rode off on the truck together. If anyone wants to question a rock solid marriage and having the Fire Dept as part of your theme then maybe they didn't like that movie or think it was real enough. The majority of FF's say they appreciate that movie. I am not saying their aren't divorces, or that you won't have difficulties, just focus on the guys and gals who have good marriages. Stick with positive people, learn from others mistakes and rise above the problems you encounter.

Enjoy yourselves and CONGRATULATIONS!

Melissa
    Last edited by firetruckred; 08-03-2006 at 03:32 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just did this in my wedding in May...

All Firefighters and Retired Firefighters wore their Class A's to the wedding as requested on all of my invitations. My dad who is a retired FF was able to get a new Class A from his old department. I had two ushers that work at my station and they wore their Class A's also. I also wore mine and we got a dark/navy blue vest and tie for the best man and groomsman to match with my Class A.

We didn't do anything out of the ordinary in the ceremony. At the reception the grooms cake had our department patch and the patch and logo from my volunteer company. As we left the church we walked out under 12 crossed pike poles of lengths from 6 ft. to 12 ft. which were held by all of the guys from my station that were present. We then left on the tailboard of an antique American LaFrance driven by my volunteer chief who owns it. We just rode the tailboard around to the back side of the church and then got off and got in seats for the rest of the ride. I figured that was safest and I wanted to do the tailboard thing even if it was only for 100 yards or so.

We loved it and the people that came to the wedding loved it to. It was unique but not over the top with fire department stuff. My wife was very happy with how it all turned out. Also, we got married in a Baptist church and the reception was also there. That meant there was no alcohol so that took care of the behavior of most of the firefighters!

Brandon

MembersZone Subscriber

Firenreq77 Thanks for posting. I loved reading it!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Resq1scnd2none
    AHH...I think you owe Calbou a little bit of an apology, he didn't deserve to get his hand slapped like that, others made (in)appropriate comments as well.....
    That was intended to be direct to all who had the negative comments. Sorry...
    Last edited by ksfireman82; 08-02-2006 at 09:14 PM.

Forum Member

That was intended to be direct to all who had the negative comments. Sorry...
    Mine wasnt really meant to be a negative comment, more or less busting your stones.....Besides, isnt it tradition for your firehouse brothers to talk you out of this?????

In all seriousness, Good Luck.

I own a 1958 F.W.D. Pumper which was my volunteer company's brand new. My dad (was 17 when it was delivered) trained on it, learned to drive on it, and it was the first truck he drove to and pumped at a working fire. Fast forward to circa 1976 or so- I was about 3 and a half, dad took me to my first parade on it, my first fire truck ride. Truck was sold to another company in 1978, and in 2002 I bought it. Lots of sentimental value.

When I met my (future) wife, she just didnt understand the whole concept of owning an antique fire truck. ("It's just like owning an antique car, except bigger!") As time went on, and we got engaged, she understood the whole family/firetruck/sentimental value thing. Surprised the hell out of me when she asked if we could ride away from the church on the tailboard. On the day of the wedding, it was raining like hell. We couldnt ride away on the truck (had to settle for her dad's white H2) but it did manage to stop raining long enough to get pictures.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't leave those disposable cameras lying around unless you want your mother-in-law to develop the pics while you are on your honeymoon and see a bunch of firemen showing their *****e$. I laughed, she didn't. She got over it. Still married 7+ years.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firetruckred
    Firenreq77 Thanks for posting. I loved reading it!
    Glad I could make you smile!!

Also, if anyone isinterested in some picture ideas, you can view some pics take by our photographer at Matthew Hertzfeld Photgraphy's website . Matt is a Lieutenant for the Toledo Fire Department. He has a bio on his website that tells a little about him and his history with photography. Matt also has a book that was published which is pictures taken while on the job. All proceeds for his book go to the Toledo Firefighter's Museum. The name of the book is "Smoke Showing" and there is a link on his site for it.

Matt does a helluva job taking pictures. He got some excellent shots for us......

If you want to see some of ours, click on "View Proofs" and it is the Kersh-Dempsey Wedding on 06/10/2006. You have to enter your email address, but it's not used to send junk to you......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Dude that is freaking awesome!

I remember talking to josh before and after the wedding and he hadn't mentioned that. That is a kick *** idea and the helmets looked sweet. Where was the ceremony/reception?

When my parents got married they couldn't take the engine OOS to go the like 4 miles outside of the city limits to another city where the church was.....oh well.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

I got chills even before I looked at the pics.

I have to say brother... Those are the most AWESOME weddings pictures I have ever seen! I have a big Irish and Italian family and I have to say.....That was just done RIGHT!

When I looked at the pics all I could say was Wow, WOW, WOW!

Who was your wedding planner? The family? Where are these pics taken?

Man you guys sure knew what you were doing! I am speechless and in AWE.

They are perfect.

Melissa

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Very nice photo album.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

A buddy who has several antique fire trucks drove us away in one. I caught some grief from my crew, but it was worth it.

Thread Information