Forum Member

Default CAFS: Use or Not Use

I was visiting another thread about Class A Foam and decided to start my own thread in hopes to receive more information about who does and who doesn't use CAFS.

As a female Firefighter I have discovered the many advantages that CAFS provides for me. I do not have the upper body strength to man-handle a charged water hose even if it has Class A concentrate added to it. The CAFS foam filled fire hose is 20 times lighter in weight (check the reports), and is 20 times more effective in extinguishing fires. I am able to be the nozzleman and not have to worry about the fatigue that I have felt using a charged water hose. I can handle the CAFS 1.75 inch fire hose with one hand. No.. I' am not a gorilla lady. In fact, I've even had enough energy left to help with demobilization and getting the truck back into service.

As a mother and homeowner, CAFS foam means more property & lives saved, as well as reduces my homeowners insurance premium. Not to mention that it reduces the amount of water that is used and wasted on an initial attack. I have read in reports that only 10% of the water applied to a fire actually extinguishes fire. Where the same report claims CAFS is 90% efficient.

Water is becoming more of a precious commodity, period. We all know that wasting water is serious and just because we may have an abundant amount of fire hydrants does not give us the excuse to abuse our water resources. Letís make the water more effective by using a CAFS system and Class A foam, and use only what we need. I enjoy my bubble bath and a drink from my nice cool glass of uncontaminated water.

[POSTED EDITED BY WEBTEAM. USER WARNED TO STICK TO TOPIC ONLY]

We can do a better job with CAFS!

Thank you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireGurl06
    I was visiting another thread about Class A Foam and decided to start my own thread in hopes to receive more information about who does and who doesn't use CAFS.

As a female Firefighter I have discovered the many advantages that CAFS provides for me. I do not have the upper body strength to man-handle a charged water hose even if it has Class A concentrate added to it. The CAFS foam filled fire hose is 20 times lighter in weight (check the reports), and is 20 times more effective in extinguishing fires. I am able to be the nozzleman and not have to worry about the fatigue that I have felt using a charged water hose. I can handle the CAFS 1.75 inch fire hose with one hand. No.. I' am not a gorilla lady. In fact, I've even had enough energy left to help with demobilization and getting the truck back into service.

As a mother and homeowner, CAFS foam means more property & lives saved, as well as reduces my homeowners insurance premium. Not to mention that it reduces the amount of water that is used and wasted on an initial attack. I have read in reports that only 10% of the water applied to a fire actually extinguishes fire. Where the same report claims CAFS is 90% efficient.

Water is becoming more of a precious commodity, period. We all know that wasting water is serious and just because we may have an abundant amount of fire hydrants does not give us the excuse to abuse our water resources. Letís make the water more effective by using a CAFS system and Class A foam, and use only what we need. I enjoy my bubble bath and a drink from my nice cool glass of uncontaminated water.

Women Firefighters of America rise up! Let's change the mens archaic water system.. The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world.

Thank you.

So if you cant operate a normal hoseline, how can you pull a victim out of a burning apt.? Or more importantly, pulling another FF out?

Yet another troll.....go away.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

EuroFirefighter.com

The CAFS foam filled fire hose is 20 times lighter in weight (check the reports), and is 20 times more effective in extinguishing fires.

As a mother and homeowner, CAFS foam means more property & lives saved, not to mention that it reduces the amount of water that is used and wasted on an initial attack. I have read in reports that only 10% of the water applied to a fire actually extinguishes fire. Where the same report claims CAFS is 90% efficient.

Women Firefighters of America rise up! Let's change the mens archaic water system.. The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world.

Thank you.
    Wow that's a pretty sexist post Firegurl! We try and tread the right side of the line in these matters Get ready for a rough ride in this thread!

Your statements are totally unsubstantiated and appear as if they are taken from manufacturer's 'hype' marketing brochures! I have never seen such brash claims made about CAFS in any recognised scientific research reports and would suggest you might want to take a closer look at the reality of CAFS.

However, there may be major benefits of CAFS in comparison to water for interior fire attack and we are undertaking some extensive scientific testing against large fires in this respect here in the UK later this year, following some initial operational experience that demonstrated success.
    Last edited by PaulGRIMWOOD; 07-30-2006 at 03:01 PM.

Administrator

Post reported.

Please stay on topic.

Forum Member

If you can't handle an 1-3/4" line, why (and how) did you ever become a firefighter? I weigh about 280 lbs. in full gear...What happens if I go down?!

There are certain "basic" minimums that every firefighter must be able to do. Handling a charged hand line is obviously one of them!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

As a mother and homeowner, CAFS foam means more property & lives saved, as well as reduces my homeowners insurance premium.
    I'm a father and a homeowner, but do not see that as relevant as to claims of property and lives saved. Do you have any citations on homeowner insurance reductions based on an FD using CAFS?
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

Gentlemen..

[POST EDITED BY WEBTEAM. USER WARNED TO STICK TO TOPIC ONLY]

Let me explain in better detail my handling of the hose. With a charged hose, it is heavy and cumbersome. I need my back-up, just like all of you guys out there. With a CAFS hose, I CAN handle it by myself.

I do have great strength, and I do know my limitations as a woman. CAFS lets me have the EXTRA energy, so I CAN finish the job. It's a choice. I do not have the manly strength, and I cannot carry a 280 pound man on my shoulders, but I can drag his hairy butt to safety. I also know protocol that you never go into a structure fire alone.. so I would not be alone. In my experience, I am not under the stress that is caused by lugging around a heavy water hose. It is reported that more firefighters die from exertion than from burns. I prefer not to be one of those statistics. I choose CAFS. In any given situation when I can only have a water hose, I use it well.

Do YOU use CAFS?

Thank you.

Forum Member

In fact, I've even had enough energy left to help with demobilization and getting the truck back into service.
    I'm sorry, but the Fire Service is about teamwork and working together through the crap jobs and the good jobs. In my opinion, if you get off that truck to do the good job (putting out the fire) you should be prepared to work with the rest of the crew to do the crap job (repacking hose, etc.). Saying, "I'm too tired" doesn't cut it.. do you think you're the only one that's tired out there?

In the words of one of my previous captains (to MEN and WOMEN).. "If you can't hack it, take your jacket, and don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya."
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Another thing how do you handle the hose when your backup has to get a bottle change and there is no one else to come in and back you up?

[POST EDITED BY WEBTEAM, USER ISSUED WARNING TO STAY ON TOPIC]
    Last edited by Tann3100; 07-30-2006 at 04:39 PM.
    IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

Administrator

Thread closed. Not because of its topic, but because a few users (out of thousands who have been active this weekend) are on a personal mission to be sarcastic and feel they know something we don't. Last warning guys, keep topics on the topic, use the report post function if something seems out of line as users have done for many years, or we'll delete your account and all posts at this point. This is beyond unreasonable and time consuming.

As we've done for some time, we issue warnings on some offenses, we issue bans immediately for those that are clearly over the top. One does not compare to the other. This is the last post we'll discuss this issue. Hundreds of other users are managing to keep it to real topics, the half dozen or you so bent on retaliating for a legitimate short ban who continue will just be deleted.

Thank you to the many users who continue to contribute and manage to realize one user removed for a few days over inappropriate content isn't the end of the forums

Thanks
    WebTeam

Thread Information