I have been working my tail off for a year to get the job of my dreams. All I've ever wanted to do is be a FF. I have applied at several good depts and come very close and now I'm having to choose b/w 3. I've already thrown one out so we're down to 2. One is "for sure" going to happen probably in sept or oct but is the #2 dept and the other is "pretty sure" going to happen in the spring and is the #1 dept. The one that is pretty sure (#1) in the spring is the better dept but I have to move (not a problem) and the other one (#2) is right here at home and I will be put on the truck after a week - I already have my certs and this dept does not have their own academy.
My question is if #2 calls in sept I think I should take the job. Even though it's #2 it's still a good dept and I would finally be doing what I want to do and I'd be getting experience. I am ready to go to work today! Then if #1 calls in the spring which they most likely will then I will still probably take that job. Is that really going to **** #2 off because I worked there 3-4 months and then went somewhere else? I really don't want to do that. I like a lot of those guys here and I'd like to be able to come back one day if I want to. But if I don't take the #2 job and something happens and the "pretty sure" #1 doesn't come through for whatever reason then I will hate myself for passing up a FF job and then not getting the other one. As we all know until you actually have the job anything can happen and things do change unexpectedly.
I've been racking my brain about this and I am really confused as to what to do. What do you guys think? Chief Lepore what do you think?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4
Thread: Need advice on what to do!
07-30-2006, 03:59 PM #1
- Join Date
- Feb 2006
Need advice on what to do!
07-30-2006, 05:29 PM #2
- Join Date
- Nov 2005
First of all, congratulations on your success. As you have illustrated so very well once you get a job offer they come in multiples. Simply put, you have learned what we are looking for in an entry-level candidate. You have taken the time, put forth the energy and effort and you have been successful in the process. STRONG WORK!
Now to your question:
Hereís the deal. You can never predict what is going to happen. While it appears that your ďdreamĒ department may call you down the road you donít know for certain. What if you pass on the sure thing and one of the following happens:
1. The department has a budget cut and eliminates positions
2. The department decides to hire paramedics
3. Somebody (or a couple of firefighters) decide not to retire
4. The fire chief gets political pressure to hire green, yellow or blue firefighters (and you donít fit the mold)
Are you getting the message? Take the sure thing.
Oh, by the way, you may really enjoy the department and elect to stay.
Now part two:
If your dream department calls and you are three months into your probation, you graciously move on to the next department. What cal you say or do to the first department to lessen the blow? In reality, not much. They are going to be upset and rightfully so. Having said this, you need to follow your dreams and do whatís best for you and your family (if applicable).
Many of us, myself included, moved from one department to another. I would encourage you to not broadcast your intentions to ANYONE. The fire service is a very small community. If someone on the first department even gets wind of your intentions you will find probation to be extremely difficult.
Good luck with your decision. I know lotís of very good candidates that would love to have your ďproblems.Ē
07-31-2006, 12:35 PM #3
- Join Date
- Aug 2002
- San Francisco Bay Area
How would you feel if you took the job offer beind door number #2, switched to number #1 next spring and failed the academy, probation, and had no place to return. I talked to many candidates who had their department as a goal, got hired with another deparment and in short order gave up the hunt.
You never know what's going to happen in the hiring process. Follow each job offer until the end of the process. If you like one department better and tell the other one good by, what are you going to do if the one you likes doesn't hire you?
As tough as it is to get this job, candidates don't believe me when I tell them they could expect multiple job offers. It's not uncommon to get two job offers. It is my opinion and experience to go forward with both (no don't let them know of each other unless they ask) and make the final decision as the process unfolds. Make sure you have the job offer in writing in you hot little hands before you make your decision. Don't be surprised if both departments send you to the same psych doctor.
One candidate got 3 job offers in 8 days. He went forward in all 3, then made his decision.______________________________ _______________
"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"
Fire "Captain Bob"
08-28-2006, 09:43 PM #4
- Join Date
- Aug 2006
Man, I wish I had your problem. I've been in persuit of a career for 5 years and traveled hundreds of miles to take tests. What do I have to show for it? Tomorrow at 8 a.m., I will be back to work...........in the garage.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By medicchick in forum The Off Duty ForumsReplies: 22Last Post: 04-25-2005, 08:35 PM
By intraining in forum Hiring & Employment DiscussionReplies: 9Last Post: 08-03-2003, 10:47 PM
By lostnfound in forum Meet and GreetReplies: 4Last Post: 01-08-2003, 09:07 AM
By captstanm1 in forum The Off Duty ForumsReplies: 11Last Post: 07-25-2002, 06:53 PM