Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default NJ jobs / residence

What's the deal with the residence requirements in NJ? Is it possible to live in one town, but apply in another? On the application it seems like you have to live where you apply, and need to be living there WHEN you apply as well or you can be disqualified. Is this true of all NJ towns? Also, if you got hired in one town, could you then move out of town (say a few towns away maybe) and still work for that original town where you were hired? Just trying to get things straight. With the residence requirements it seems like you only have one chance, and once chance only, at getting hired. Say you don't get hired in that town... to keep trying are you then expected to move to the next town you want to apply for, not to mention wait for the next testings because you need to enter that town code in?( because you can only send in one application and cannot change things once you send it in) Sounds pretty ridiculous to me. Am I wrong? Does it work another way?

Thanks in advance.

"What's the deal with the residence requirements in NJ? Is it possible to live in one town, but apply in another? On the application it seems like you have to live where you apply, and need to be living there WHEN you apply as well or you can be disqualified."

100% accurate. You need to live where you apply. There are only 2 or 3 towns state wide that do not have a residency requirment.

"Also, if you got hired in one town, could you then move out of town (say a few towns away maybe) and still work for that original town where you were hired?"

Maybe, depends on the city rules.

"Say you don't get hired in that town... to keep trying are you then expected to move to the next town you want to apply for, not to mention wait for the next testings because you need to enter that town code in?( because you can only send in one application and cannot change things once you send it in) Sounds pretty ridiculous to me. Am I wrong? Does it work another way?"

Correct, however you are not expected to do anything. More directly put, the state doesn't expect you to reapply, but if you want the job you will. I have seen plenty of guys take the test over and over again, not to get hired. It seems as though you are looking for something to happen quick, it won't. If you realy want the job and are not just looking for a reliable paycheck, you'll keep trying and if not please don't even bother.

Forum Member

No, I understand it's not a quick process and requires lots of effort and commitment. I was just confused by the residency requirements. When you mention, reapply, you do mean at a different department, correct? One wouldn't reapply at the same department that already turned them down, i assume.

Do you know what the two or three towns that do not have residency requirements are? Also, i know residency requirements apply for some, or maybe all in NJ, volunteer departments. Is that correct? I would like to volunteer also and get on-the-job experience while waiting for my chance at a fulltime position.

Please have patience with me if my understanding of these things are wrong. I am just trying to get things straight. Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

actually found that there are a few municipalities that I am eligible for. So, at least I'll have a few options. Found one volunteer that I am eligible for as well. Happy about that.

"Do you know what the two or three towns that do not have residency requirements are?"

It will be posted on the application as statewide, however their residents get preference, than county residents and so forth.

"Also, i know residency requirements apply for some, or maybe all in NJ, volunteer departments. Is that correct?"

Absoulutely inncorrect. More and more towns are opening up their doors to anyone they can get to volunteer due to the declining numbers. Many areas are still strict, but it will likely change if their numbers drop.

"When you mention, reapply, you do mean at a different department, correct? One wouldn't reapply at the same department that already turned them down, i assume."

No, I mean at the same department. Persistance does pay off. Sometimes it takes a while to work thru a list and get to your number. Now if you get shot down in a town after your interview than yes go elsewhere. But if they simply do not get to you, stay where you are. Keep in mind though, this is a very difficult job to get, more so for NJ. There are thousands of applicants and only so many jobs. And yes sometimes color or sex may play a part in someone getting a job, to fill quota. If you do not have patience, this is the wrong state to try for a FF job, many people don't get picked up until their second time around on the test.

Thread Information