Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rear Mount Pump

MembersZone Subscriber keeperman's Avatar

Question Rear Mount Pump

Our department will begin discussing ideas for a new engine in the next few months. I would like to hear some of the pros and cons for a rear mount pump. We do not have any in our area, and I am curious to know what other departments think.

Thanks
    Brandon Hicks
    Assistant Chief
    Bluff City, TN VFD
    www.bluffcitytnvfd.org
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Courage is not the absence of fear, but the conquest of it. Author Unknown.

MembersZone Subscriber

My department recently ordered a new pumper. Our first idea was to buy a rear mount pump. After we looked at several very nice rear mounts we concluded that our firefighters would have difficulty reaching the much higher hose beds. The rear mounts we looked at had very large apparatus bodies on them. They also have the pre-connects in trays which we thought made them more difficult to advance/reload, even thought spare trays would have come with the vehicles. One of our mutual aid companies has a rear mount which is a lot smaller and has been an excellent truck over the years. Make sure you look at a vehicle with the same basic set-up as you would order so you get an accurate feel for the pump arrangement.

Forum Member

much of the consideration for pump location is directly affected by what your intention is with the truck. You have to consider hose loads, compartment configuration either pumper or rescue style, how much water/foam you might carry and what you need for ladders and suction and whether they can be carried exterior or interior. I have seen a FULLY LOADED rear mount rescue pumper with ALL the options including a big generator and a light tower but the overall height of the truck was high for most people. The truck had ladders and suction hose stored up high and enclosed because rescue style compartments were provided. Many peopledidn't care for the truck but the department that spec'd it did.

Forum Member

This months Fire Apparatus has a write up on a Rear mount pumper for Sister Bay Wis. It was made by Crimson Fire. It has everything, including a big price.

Forum Member

Default Sister Bay Wis.

I would have a hard time justifying spending that much on one truck. You could buy a very nice pumper and 2000 gallon tanker for a lot less and have a lot more flexibility.

Red face rear mount

I have a rear mount Pierce on order at this time that we will be using as a rescue truck with water for those low manpower day calls. Class A foam system preconnected hurst reels and a light tower

Forum Member

That rear mount for Sister bay Wis, was a pumper tanker. It was $700k with equipment. Yes I would think it would be hard to justify it, especially considering that much of its design is somewhat of a "prototype". so there are many potential problems.

Forum Member

Our dept has a 2002 Boise Mobile Equipment rear mount rescue pumper. Our dept has tight driveways where we required a nimble unit, and it fits the bill. With a wheelbase of 170" and a 47* cramp angle it goes anywhere. However there are draw backs, height. If you spec one be sure to get a built in ladder with a diamond plate hose cover to access the coffin compts. Besides that, we're sold. Huge compts, the forward most has a large through area that holds a little giant,stokes basket, backboard, long 4 x 4s', brooms, rakes,shovels etc. The light mast is nested inside the body next to the generator...everything is flush. Stainless steel body with stainless substructure, 600/30/30...the unit was $366,000. I do recommend Boise Mobile, it was a true custom built unit.

Forum Member

We have two Rosenbauer General Division rear mount pumpers in production right now. We chose them for the short wheelbase 175", large compartment space and short overall length, to name a few.

Hose bed height is determined by tank size and configuration (square, T-shape, L-shape) not by the location of the pump. You can still have a low hose bed height with a rear mount pump if you choose.

Search the web, there are plenty of pics out there, in all different shapes and sizes. There is even a long discussion already on this forum.
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...ear+mount+pump

Good luck!

on a give wheel base, a rear mount will reduce compartment space slightly from a mid ship. That can be designed around to some extent

Default rear mount pierce

Oops i forgot to post that our rear mount came in at $ 489,000 on an enforcer chassis back in April 2006, and we ordered in May. Print trip is August 24 2006

Thread Information