Forum Member

Default Whiffs and a light

Long time, no see ya'all.

Okay, to business. Anybody out there use WHIFF'S Air Masks? I have been trying to get my department to try these things out due to our experiences with field fires. Just wondering how they are in the real world.

Secondly. Fun topic for one and all, lights. I am an old-timer. I grew up with Incandescent revolving lights and think that nothing much beats a halogen revolving light, certainly not the mirrored lights or strobes or LED's, until now.

I picked up on a whim a Whelen SPEC-TIR 8 dash light. That sucker is bright!
    Got it from Sirennet.com, so I figured I would give them a plug here for their good anf fast service. What was equally nice was the price was very low for LED's. I am hooked on this one now.

The Doc is out now awaiting replies
    General McAuliffe said it best, "Nuts".

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Our volunteer department started issuing all fire fighters a WHIFFS mask because we are constantly fighting vegetation fires. It was hard for me to adjust to them coming from the old school of just using a cotton handkerchief. But after using them, they do make big difference in the amount of smoke you actually inhale. I would strongly recommend them to any department as a standard issue item.

Forum Member

My old department used to issue those. I used them a few times (the rest of the time I forgot about it.. ) and didn't really notice much of a difference, but that's just me! I guess if I actually used it more that 4 +/- times, I could probably give you a more accurate opinion.
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gkellison
    Our volunteer department started issuing all fire fighters a WHIFFS mask because we are constantly fighting vegetation fires. It was hard for me to adjust to them coming from the old school of just using a cotton handkerchief. But after using them, they do make big difference in the amount of smoke you actually inhale. I would strongly recommend them to any department as a standard issue item.
    I use a CarbonX HotShield for wildland/brush fires. Works pretty well, I think...not just air filtration (which's pretty modest) but heat protection as well (we aren't issued wildland helmets, let alone shrouds--we wear structure helmets with the standard-size Nomex earlaps). I <3s me some CarbonX...my structure hood is also CarbonX.

Going to go look up this WHIFFS stuff, though...unless someone has a link handy? ;-)

Forum Member

I used a WHIFFS product several years ago. The biggest problem I noticed was restricted air flow when I was really working hard. Seemed like a neat idea, but it just didn't last for me.

Forum Member

So, a possible good idea that needs some work to really be satisfactory?

The Doc is out now.
    General McAuliffe said it best, "Nuts".

Forum Member

Yeah, it might even be improved since I used it. Definitely better than breathing the smoke. They say you can even use in overhauling structure fires. When I used it, they basically had a filter filled with this gel stuff. Felt pretty nasty, but you get used to it.

Good luck!

Thread Information