Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45

Thread: Code Blue

  1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    11

    Default Code Blue

    When you go to a code blue call, what are you as explorers allowed to do?


  2. #2
    Forum Member tbonetrexler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Magnolia, Delaware US
    Posts
    527

    Default

    Can you explain what a "code blue" is?
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

    Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

    My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

  3. #3
    Forum Member ffexpCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    909

    Default

    Whatever it is- the answer is still the same...









    Stay home.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jstryker
    When you go to a code blue call, what are you as explorers allowed to do?
    Some departments use the term 'code blue' instead of cardiac arrest. At least, that's the way parts of NC do it. I've heard Cardiac Arrest, Code Blue, Code, etc. Is that what you mean jstryker?

    If so, Explorers aren't allowed to do any patient care... period. No medical certification, no hands on patients. That's simply a liability issue, for both the department and explorer. Basically, they can assist with carrying medical bags, etc. No explorers can operate the stretcher, unless they are assisting someone getting out the (empty) stretcher from the ambulance. I know some departments that don't allow Explorers to get off the rig at EMS calls... I guess it just varies, but most all around here agree that patient care only needs to be done by certified individuals.
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

  5. #5
    Forum Member Bushwhacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Northern Rockies Region
    Posts
    637

    Default

    Well first, most of them would do a search to find that this topic has been disscussed. Then, let the EMT's take care of it.

  6. #6
    Forum Member backsteprescue123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    What would I do.....?


    Well, ever see emergency?

    I'd start CPR with the good ol' cardiac thump, while my partner Johnny set up the defibrillator and charged it to 400 watt seconds.......then after we got him back we would get on the horn with the Good Dr. Bracket and Nurse McCall at Rampart, advise them of the situation, send them some strip, and then administer D5W and transport as soon as possible via Mayfair Cadillac Ambulance.
    Last edited by backsteprescue; 08-03-2006 at 01:04 AM.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

  7. #7
    Forum Member Bushwhacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Northern Rockies Region
    Posts
    637

    Default

    As a Exploer your going to do a "thump" I assume use a manual defibulator(sp) and then send in a EKG strip? And drop in a Drug line? As i am not sure what D5W is.?

    Right, bring on the lawyers.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker
    As a Exploer your going to do a "thump" I assume use a manual defibulator(sp) and then send in a EKG strip? And drop in a Drug line? As i am not sure what D5W is.?

    Right, bring on the lawyers.
    Guess what? Gullible isn't even in the dictionary. I don't understand why?
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

  9. #9
    Forum Member backsteprescue123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker
    As a Exploer your going to do a "thump" I assume use a manual defibulator(sp) and then send in a EKG strip? And drop in a Drug line? As i am not sure what D5W is.?

    Right, bring on the lawyers.

    I wasn't going to post anymore but...............

    YOU NEVER SAW EMERGENCY?!?!?!?!?!?!?! (insert smiley with gun to head here)

    It's ok.


    BTW, I am authorized to do a thump if I witness the pt. go into arrest.

    D5W is Dextrose 5% Water
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

  10. #10
    Forum Member backsteprescue123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Disclaimer:

    I am not authorized to do any of the above besides the thump when mentioned above. I have not been trained nor have performed any of the above actions. I do not and will not accept a tv show from the 1970's as Fire or EMS training. Have a good evening and God Bless America.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

  11. #11
    Forum Member tbonetrexler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Magnolia, Delaware US
    Posts
    527

    Arrow

    I can do the thump and administer AED, but then im a junior, not an explorer so i think rules are a little different.





    PS I am certified to do the above things, at least thats what it says on my lil AHA card.


    Hey RFRDxplorer, did you forget what the "edit" button was for? lol
    Last edited by tbonetrexler; 08-03-2006 at 09:45 AM.
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

    Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

    My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    S. Jersey/Northern Delaware
    Posts
    363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbonetrexler
    I can do the thump and administer AED, but then im a junior, not an explorer so i think rules are a little different.

    PS I am certified to do the above things, at least thats what it says on my lil AHA card.


    Hey RFRDxplorer, did you forget what the "edit" button was for? lol
    Junior, explorer, whatever........You're still not at or over the age of 18 so no the rules aren't any diffrent. Don't get me wrong I think having explorers and juniors are a valuable thing but not in this case.

    And please do some checking....We haven't done the Pre-Cardial "Thump" in decades.....At least no one is suppossed to be.

  13. #13
    Forum Member Bushwhacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Northern Rockies Region
    Posts
    637

    Default

    ^ Thats not ture I am a National Reg. EMT-B at the age of 17.

  14. #14
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker
    ^ Thats not ture I am a National Reg. EMT-B at the age of 17.
    Interesting... taken directly from the NREMT web site (http://www.nremt.org/EMTServices/reg_basic_history.asp):

    Registration Entry Requirements

    Individuals applying for EMT-Basic registration must meet the following requirements to be eligible for the national registration as an EMT-Basic.

    1. Applicant must be 18 years of age or older.
    -------;- "Aaaaa!!"
    Remember - always wear your helmet around one-eyed women with pike poles

  15. #15
    Forum Member tbonetrexler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Magnolia, Delaware US
    Posts
    527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BD6413
    Junior, explorer, whatever........You're still not at or over the age of 18 so no the rules aren't any diffrent. Don't get me wrong I think having explorers and juniors are a valuable thing but not in this case.

    And please do some checking....We haven't done the Pre-Cardial "Thump" in decades.....At least no one is suppossed to be.
    I am talking CPR and AED usage. You can have a CPR, AED cert even if you are under 18. Heck, you can be a First Responder at age 16. The little card from the American Heart Association (which i have in front of me) says that:
    "this card certifies that the above individual has successfully completed the national cognitive and skills evaluations in accordance with the curriculum of the American Heart Association for the BLS for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED) Program"

    That is a direct quote from the front of the Card, below where it says Healthcare Provider and my Name.
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

    Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

    My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

  16. #16
    Forum Member backsteprescue123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbonetrexler
    I am talking CPR and AED usage. You can have a CPR, AED cert even if you are under 18. Heck, you can be a First Responder at age 16. The little card from the American Heart Association (which i have in front of me) says that:
    "this card certifies that the above individual has successfully completed the national cognitive and skills evaluations in accordance with the curriculum of the American Heart Association for the BLS for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED) Program"

    That is a direct quote from the front of the Card, below where it says Healthcare Provider and my Name.
    I've got two of the same. And it does not matter if you are a junior or explorer, there is no rule that says you cannot use an AED or perform CPR in an emergency. Maybe not on a call, but you never know when it will happen I guess.

    And I thought you had to be 18 to be NREMT too?


    P.S.- Maybe it is just our protocols, but in training, I have been taught that if I witness a pt. go into cardiac arrest I can do the thump. Not the same one from emergency, but where you put your elbow on the stomach and swing your fist onto the chest.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4

    Default

    and thats y the invented bandaid pushers so firefighter dont have to our squad and the fire demp. are 2 diffrent things

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    90

    Default Cardiac Thump

    RFRD,

    with all do respect, and I do respect you, I have seen many of your posts, but you need to do some checking, the cardiac thump as you call it has not been done, not has it supposed to have been taught for years. AHA basically writes the protocols for CPR, that is not something that is usually left to local protocol, and they have not condoned Cardiac thumping for years and years. I would not reccomend doing that until you get some clarification from your CPR instructor. Since you are not an EMT, your local Medical Control Doctor would not have any control over your skill level (unless you are First Responder certified). However your CPR instructor is responsible for you skill set as it relates to CPR.

    As far as the other guy who said he was a NREMT-B at 17. There is no need to lie to us, you may be NREMT First Responder certified, but you are not an EMT-B. Check your local laws, many of the states have laws pertaining to portraying yourself as a Police Officer, Firefighter, or EMT.

    I am very pro-explorer, but do not feel they should be on any medical calls, as at thier young ages they are here to learn, but do not need to be exposed to the tragedy that we all see on a regular basis at medical aid calls. I believe they should be allowed to OBSERVE at most any other call including car accidents. However I think once Incident Command or the OIC determines it is a possible fatal, or is a serious tragedy that is when the explorers should be pulled out of the situation. They have many years ahead of them to see the "blood and guts" and do not need to be exposed to the true tragic accidents and medicals so young. If I had a child and he was 15 or 16 and was an explorer, I would not want him seeing a blue infant who has died of SIDS, and I would not want him exposed to the grief of the family during that type of call. Plus when you have such an emotionally charged scene where someone passes away at home, there needs to be as few "rescuers" "hanging around" as possible.


    Jon

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sfdffemt17
    I am very pro-explorer, but do not feel they should be on any medical calls, as at thier young ages they are here to learn, but do not need to be exposed to the tragedy that we all see on a regular basis at medical aid calls. I believe they should be allowed to OBSERVE at most any other call including car accidents. However I think once Incident Command or the OIC determines it is a possible fatal, or is a serious tragedy that is when the explorers should be pulled out of the situation. They have many years ahead of them to see the "blood and guts" and do not need to be exposed to the true tragic accidents and medicals so young. If I had a child and he was 15 or 16 and was an explorer, I would not want him seeing a blue infant who has died of SIDS, and I would not want him exposed to the grief of the family during that type of call. Plus when you have such an emotionally charged scene where someone passes away at home, there needs to be as few "rescuers" "hanging around" as possible.


    Jon
    Amen to that brother.. amen..
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

  20. #20
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    San Bernardino Co.
    Posts
    91

    Default

    In a Full Arrest Call,we explorers are allowed to do some things. If the Paramedic On duty really trusts me, he'll let me get the AED patch out and put it on the patient. We have some really nice ones that they have in airports, that dont really require setup. Just peel and press. Although if I am going too slow, he'll boot me to the side and take over. That is ONLY if the paramedic allows me too, but thats pretty rare.
    We dont really do the patient care, but we do assist the paramedic after some really thorough training.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. WOF Report: 12-06-05 (Part I)
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-11-2005, 12:04 AM
  2. No more using of 10 codes, by order of the feds?
    By arhaney in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 272
    Last Post: 09-05-2005, 01:38 AM
  3. Code Development/NFPA/Sprinkers
    By neiowa in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-16-2005, 02:22 PM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 03-13-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-14-2005, 10:01 PM
  5. World Of Fire Report: 01-30-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2005, 08:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts