View Poll Results: What do you think the new uniforms should be?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • ABU'S with F.D. Patch

10 58.82%
  • Keep current BDU's

0 0%
  • Wear plain ABU's

0 0%
  • Wear civilian F.D. uniform with rank

8 47.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Abu's

Forum Member

Default Abu's

Does anyone knows what the air force is going to do with the new uniforms as for as fire department patch? I know that they said that thee would be no patches to reduce the cost to airmen, But how would firefighters be reconized being that securtiy forces has berets. Just something that I wounder about.

Forum Member

Default Just rumors!!!

What I have been told is both the SF and FD are fighting to keep their patches. Since these are actually "badges", I think we have a fighting chance.

On another note, at my last drill, I was told that these new uniforms would be ready for issue on October 06. But I just read an article on "AF Portal" that the first troops to receive these uniforms will be the ones being deployed to the desert. After this has been done, then they will be issued to new recruits at Lackland. Then sometime between 2007 & 2008, we can finally receive them.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

I dont know my head from my *** being I havent even made it to Goodfellow yet (13 Nov wont come soon enough). But I remember reading something about USAF FF's possibly getting nomex flight suits for wear while at the station. Any truth to this?

Forum Member

Default Nomex Suits

About the nomex suits...

I know that they tried for awhile, but haven't heard anything in years about it. The scuttlebutt was that officers didn't want "lowly" firefighters looking like them

So I guess that answers your question!!!

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT
    About the nomex suits...

I know that they tried for awhile, but haven't heard anything in years about it. The scuttlebutt was that officers didn't want "lowly" firefighters looking like them

So I guess that answers your question!!!
    So basically the ego's of the officer corps. denies FF's the extra protection of a nomex suit? Is that what your telling me? I would hope there is better reason then that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USAFSSGT
    So basically the ego's of the officer corps. denies FF's the extra protection of a nomex suit? Is that what your telling me? I would hope there is better reason then that.
    Like I said....that is just scuttlebutt (rumor). Don't really know the truth!!! And may never know........

MembersZone Subscriber

Nomex flight suits are not NFPA compliant uniforms. To wear them in the fire service, they would have to meet all the third party testing required to meet the standard.

Forum Member

I have seen USMC firefighters wear flight suits as the uniform of the day when on duty. Also, a lot of DOD departments don't require full NFPA station wear compliance as it is cost prohibitive for the civilian firefighters who only get 400.00 per year for uniform allowance. Usually the SOP will read something to the effect of "predominately natural fiber" meaning cotton or wool or a combination thereof. Besides, BDU's and even fatigues (yeah I show my age) weren't NFPA compliant either. As far as the officer corps thing; my brother is an F-16 jockey and he could care less what folks wear. Also, enlisted flight crew members also wear flight suits, so what is the difference?

Forum Member

I don't know what the difference is. I am just waiting for my new blue, tiger-stripped p.j.'s (I mean ABUs).

I wonder if they will be 1500 comp.?????? As we just received 1500 comp. BDUs.

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

the new ABUs will be 50/50 nylon/cotton blend. i haven't heard any NFPA 1500 compliant ABUs in production yet.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforce/a/abu.htm

Forum Member

I am anxious to get to the new ABU. I like the idea of wash and wear, and the boots seem nice as well. I spend so much time pressing and shining. Not that I dont like the look of a well pressed uniform, but it will be nice to have one less thing to deal with. As soon as there are available for purchase I will have a couple of sets. One thing I think is lame is the Air Force t-shirt, that could go. And why arent black shirts allowed anymore?

Fir Na Tine

In talking with the 9 AF/USCENTAF Command Chief here at Shaw, they are going to update 36-2903 to outright prohibit the use of starch and an iron on the new uniform. I hope they stick to that. Otherwise, someone's gonna get a wild hair up their backside to start starching and ironing them and before you know it what was supposed to be just a wash and wear uniform suddenly isn't.

Forum Member

From what I understand from a Marine buddy of mine they also made it part of their Reg. not to starch the uniform.

Fir Na Tine

It would definitely simplify things to say the least.

Forum Member

The Marine Corps regs prohibit the use of starch or sizing on the MARPAT utility (ie cammie) uniform. An iron may be used, I haven't needed to since I got mine 3 yrs ago. The uniform is far more comfortable and functional than the old BDUs. Take them out of the dryer, shake them out, and they look as good as the day you got them.

Marine FFs wear nomex flightsuits because they are more appropriate than camo utilities or the $10 blue mechanics coveralls they used to give us. They were not tested to NFPA regs, so far as I know. Flightsuits are in the Marine Corps supply system and cost less than the AF nomex cammies. It was a fight to get them and is often a fight with local commanders to keep them-especially if they are aviators. They don't like us stealing all their salutes.

Forum Member

The new Army uniform, you are not to use starch either. I bought a set last year and have been using them since. They are nice but the color; well, is different. Iím still a fan of the MARPAT since I did come from the Marines. Tell you the truth ive done an unintentional test of the two and the MARPAT is better in the woods. But the ACU from what ive been told works great in the desert. In my Army Reserve unit we have flight suits, much rather use them. But the bone head that made the order last year (not going to name the grade they are, Sir) made the order with out fitting the FF. So when I get into my flight suit I look like a NASA astronaut thatís suit is five times too small. Ok, back to the subject. The new Air Force Uniforms, I think rock. As for the FF point of view, well better stick to the flight suits.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not to be a jack*****, but how about keeping what we have instead of spending millions on research and development, followed by billions for the uniforms themselves. This way we can actually have the basic equipment to do our jobs like fire apparatus. We haven't seen ours in a few years b/c it's in the box. Heck, maybe they can even use the $ to send more firefighters to advanced schools instead of the outdated CDC courses. I was Army for 8 years with poor leadership, but we had funding to go to all the schools we wanted to (I did); switched to the AF for better leadership, and training just took a dive. I for one am not for the CDC program at all. Im also a DOD civilian FF, and we use the CDC's at work too. I just think the money could be put towards much better things than uniforms, that's all.

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JTFIRE80
    Not to be a jack*****, but how about keeping what we have instead of spending millions on research and development, followed by billions for the uniforms themselves. This way we can actually have the basic equipment to do our jobs like fire apparatus. We haven't seen ours in a few years b/c it's in the box. Heck, maybe they can even use the $ to send more firefighters to advanced schools instead of the outdated CDC courses. I was Army for 8 years with poor leadership, but we had funding to go to all the schools we wanted to (I did); switched to the AF for better leadership, and training just took a dive. I for one am not for the CDC program at all. Im also a DOD civilian FF, and we use the CDC's at work too. I just think the money could be put towards much better things than uniforms, that's all.
    unfortunately the money that is used for R&D for uniforms and fire department equipment all come from different funding sources.

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JTFIRE80
    I'm aware of that, I was just using the FD as an example. It's still AF money no matter how you look at in the end. Here is the volly in me here, but the FD's get screwed everywhere. Think about this:
    SP's, civ police, DOD police get $$ out the ***** to "guard the borders and prevent an attack"

I don't like saying it, but at some point there will be another attack!

So, While I understand Cops getting their required eqpt/manpower to do their job, FD's across the country (military/civilain/volly/career) are not getting the equipment/manpower to respond (timely manner) that they need.
    ...i understand where you are coming from as well. i think the air force would rather spend more money into fire prevention/public safety than it would spend money into new rigs or better equipment.

Thread Information