Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question WANTED: Photos FDNY Eng-13, TCU-531, & Eng-201

Hello all-

Does anyone know where I can find photos of the rigs for FDNY units Engine 13, TCU-531, and Engine 201? These were my uncle's old units, and I'd really like to try and get some photos. (E-201 is the only one still in service.)

Thanks very much.
    Larry
    elsquared@aol.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by elsquared
    Hello all-

Does anyone know where I can find photos of the rigs for FDNY units Engine 13, TCU-531, and Engine 201? These were my uncle's old units, and I'd really like to try and get some photos. (E-201 is the only one still in service.)

Thanks very much.
    Larry
    elsquared@aol.com
    201 Engine
    201 Engine... again
    That's a start for ya... I'll see if I can find the others as well. Good thing for you, I'm bored!

Here's some info about 13 Engine
    Last edited by FTMPTB15; 08-02-2006 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Add 13 Enigne
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow!

There are some tough ones...other than 201 that is.

Here is a link to Engine Co. 13 photos. http://nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/f_a/e13.shtml

They were located on 251 Lafayette St. They were one of the original Engine Co's of the MFD(FDNY) in 1865 and after 107 years of dedicated service to the citizens of New York it was disbanded on Dec. 16, 1972.

Contact the Mand Library at the Rock or the Fire Museum for help on this subject.

The TCU is going to be a hard one to find photos of since it was only in service for just over 3 years and was in an area where many avoided due to the high crime, therefore few buffs ventured to the area for photos.

Best best is to contact Engine Co. 225 since they were quartered with them at the time. Perhaps they have something hanging on the wall of the firehouse.

Best of Luck.

FTM-PTB

Post Some what related questions

1. For those of us upstate, what's a TCU?
    2. What's the difference between a squad co. and an engine co.? Both appear to use engines, but I have noticed more compartments on a squad.
    3. What's a RAC? Does it have something to do with rehab?

Quote Originally Posted by mdcook
    1. For those of us upstate, what's a TCU?

Tactical Control Unit....manpower and tools...used during the High Fire Days of the 70s

2. What's the difference between a squad co. and an engine co.? Both appear to use engines, but I have noticed more compartments on a squad.
    Squads are "Enhanced Engine Cos." to supplement Haz Mat. They are also used to augment the Rescue Co.s They are an Engine Co that has rescue tools...and who don't pack hose.....(ouch, sorry car N8 ). The original Squads were Manpower rigs that could be used as either a truck or an engine.
    Squads have been around for a long time but have evolved. All but SQ-1 were disbanded. After the 1st WTC...they reinstituted the idea and made slower Engine Co.s Squads. They have truck tools and Engine tools....and both riding positions.

3. What's a RAC? Does it have something to do with rehab?
    Yes it is the Rehab unit. Carries gatorade, wet towels and comes in on all 10-75s or greater or when specialed called.
    Last edited by VinnieB; 08-03-2006 at 06:42 PM.
    IACOJ Member

Thank you VinnieB.
    BTW, what ever happened to Rescue 6? I remember reading an article about it, but now I can't find it listed on the official FDNY list.

R-6 was a temp Rescue placed into service for the GOP Convention and staffed with SOC members from the other Squad and Rescue companies. It has since been deactivated.
    IACOJ Member

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB
    They are an Engine Co that has rescue tools...and who don't pack hose.....(ouch, sorry car N8 ).
    Wow, that hurts brother! LOL. We pack hose when we can (i.e. the Chief doesn't release us when the lines are still charged). I have several photos of a squad packing hose to prove . Believe me bro, I love Engine work and like to be in that line behind the rig when I can.

We try and do the right thing when possible. Speaking of packing hose! Where the hell have you been? Your company is seeing work but I haven't seen you. Maybe I'm not looking low enough! j/k.
    Good Luck, Stay Low & Stay Safe

Nate DeMarse
    Co-Owner, Brotherhood Instructors, LLC.
    http://brotherhoodinstructors.com
    Facebook Users: Join us here
    -------------------------------
    GET IN THE JOB, BE A STUDENT OF THE JOB!

Quote Originally Posted by NDeMarse

We try and do the right thing when possible. Speaking of packing hose! Where the hell have you been? Your company is seeing work but I haven't seen you. Maybe I'm not looking low enough! j/k.
    I've made some of it, had the nozzle for three of them, but missed the one on Bronx Park East and the one on Mathews St and the two 3rds that 79 had.

Oh and BTW....you shouldn't talk...."Kariem" YOu know we do see eye to eye.....
    IACOJ Member

Thread Information