Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Helo LZ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Helo LZ

Anyone still pulling handlines for helo LZ's? Most people have stopped this practice. In my opinion, you are endangering the crew that is holding the line if a problem should arise. Also, most pilots that I have ever heard of try to divert to another location if they think they are going to crash. The other thing is, if we pull a 200' handline, do we really think they will crash within 200' of us? Any comments would be appreciated, either way.

Forum Member

God for-bid should the ship crash at or immediatley near the LZ having that 200' handline previously placed really isn't going to help.

When the ship hits the ground with the rotors going at full force the crew at the fire apparatus will no doubt be injured or possibly killed by flying debri, and the rotors that will shoot every direction possible. - Avaiation fuel burns somewhat hotter than what we're used to in the structurial firefighting world and alot of folks aren't trained to handle it - You're not going to save the flight crew unless there is no fire subsequent to the crash {And it's a long-shot of anyone being alive depending on the force of the impact, location, etc...}

So to answer the question....No I don't see a point in pulling a hose line to stand-by for a LZ - Alot of the pilots will tell you the same thing....That is why they'll try and seek an alternate location if problems arise.....They don't want to take out more people than nesessary.

MembersZone Subscriber

We don't pull a line for LZ's, the most we do is set up and man the deck gun. If something were to happen, I don't know what help a 1 3/4 line woudl be. It depends on the circumstance. A line also ties you down if something happens further away from the LZ (abort to another location). I like to keep the engine between my crew and the helo.

We normally use the same set of pre-determined LZs. Personally I question the need for an engine at the LZ unless it's at a location we don't normally use and we need to advise the pilot of any hazards, or if we need to do crowd control.

Thread Information