MembersZone Subscriber

Default World Trade Center Cough

I am in the beginning stages of researching this.

It breaks my heart to see the men and woman who poured their hearts out at Ground Zero to now suffer from health problems. It was to much for anyone emotionally, mentally and physically to do the job that was done but now their health suffers for it.

I am a Massage Therapist which means I believe in and practice alternative/natural health methods to help the body heal itself. It does not mean I don't believe in Traditional medicine.

The reason for this thread is to make aware to those who are suffering to take alternative or holistic measures. I don't have the answers or cures to the common cold or the most serious illness but I do know and practice a few things that have helped me and my family. I credit it to natural remedies. My Grandparents are 85 and 86 and I tell them I hope I am ticking as well as they are at that age. They believe in alternative/natural medicine as well.

I am going to research all I can to see what can help ease those suffering from this cough on the alternative/natural side. Some traditional medicine aids in healing, some just masks symptoms. As we say in my feild "don't put a band aid on the symptom and cover up the sore or ailment. Heal the symptoms, heal the wound". I don't claim to be a miracle worker just someone who's heart is broken over the fact these people hurt enough, put their lives on the line, are all heart for what they have done and this SUCKS that they have to suffer all over again and retire early from the job they love due to health problems. It makes me so MAD!!!

If anyone has any articles or links that are helpful please post them.

God Bless all of you who helped at Ground Zero.

Melissa
    Last edited by firetruckred; 08-03-2006 at 04:33 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firetruckred
    If anyone has any articles or links that are helpful please post them.
    Dang... I did an entire research paper on this topic back when I was at State. I'll see if I can find any of the articles/reports I used and maybe even the report I wrote. Not sure if I still have all that though, but there are some decent reports out there.
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you. Email to firetruck_red1005@yahoo.com

Melissa

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

After my Dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, he tried some holistic treatments. The original idea was "It can't do anything to make it worse", and although I was not there for all of it (I was away with the army by then) some of what he tried did work. To some extent - although between the time that he was diagnosed, started the holistic therapy and ultimately passed away, I was mostly back in Calgary, so I don't know entirely what he tried or how well it worked from an observer point of view. He seemed happy with much of what his new Dr (the one who actually discovered the cancer - thats another story ) was directing him on, and in the end, thats all that mattered.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

That's the thing. It may not cure all but definetly helps. You may not be able to reverse the effects, but you never know. It took yrs to develope and it make take years to reverse it. Their are underlining symptoms that cause the disease to eventually have a name. If you can pinpoint some of those symptoms and ease the ailments one at a time, sometimes you can be cured or atleast live with the ailment a little more comfortably.

Melissa

Forum Member

I will begin by admitting that I am very ignorant of this "holistic healing" stuff; I know nothing about it. I will also say that it sounds like it is a bunch of California Hippie Krap. Thats my opinion of the matter, not you. But I am a subject of my ignorance. Use this opportunity, if you so choose, to educate me on the matter.

That being said, I am a student of, and have worked in an OSHA Safety capacity (for a private company) for several years as a side gig. Though I am not an Industrial Hygenist, or have a degree in Industrial Safety & Hygiene, (I'm not one and I dont play one on TV, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Select last night) That being said:

Those who have contracted the "cough", including my best friend for life who is now on 'da job (back then he was FDNY EMS, who spent countless hours "on the pile") have contracted what is most likely a cardio-pulmonary disease contracted by inhaling and ingesting millions of hazardous chemical compounds by way of vaporous and solid (dust) matter. Whether it was the dust and smoke in the contaminants of the initial "clouds" caused by the collapses, or many hours spent "on the piles" in less than favorable environments. Contaminants have been inhaled, effecting both the lungs by physical contact, and in the blood, by absoprtion through the lungs. Remember, the purpose of the lungs is to oxygenate the blood by absorption of the vaporous o2. Other vapors can also be absorbed into the blood as well.

That being said, my question is: How can holistic healing cure a chemically induced physical sickness?

And a tip of the helmet you Red, for your wanting and trying to help!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff
    I will begin by admitting that I am very ignorant of this "holistic healing" stuff; I know nothing about it. I will also say that it sounds like it is a bunch of California Hippie Krap. Thats my opinion of the matter, not you. But I am a subject of my ignorance. Use this opportunity, if you so choose, to educate me on the matter.

That being said, I am a student of, and have worked in an OSHA Safety capacity (for a private company) for several years as a side gig. Though I am not an Industrial Hygenist, or have a degree in Industrial Safety & Hygiene, (I'm not one and I dont play one on TV, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Select last night) That being said:

Those who have contracted the "cough", including my best friend for life who is now on 'da job (back then he was FDNY EMS, who spent countless hours "on the pile") have contracted what is most likely a cardio-pulmonary disease contracted by inhaling and ingesting millions of hazardous chemical compounds by way of vaporous and solid (dust) matter. Whether it was the dust and smoke in the contaminants of the initial "clouds" caused by the collapses, or many hours spent "on the piles" in less than favorable environments. Contaminants have been inhaled, effecting both the lungs by physical contact, and in the blood, by absoprtion through the lungs. Remember, the purpose of the lungs is to oxygenate the blood by absorption of the vaporous o2. Other vapors can also be absorbed into the blood as well.

That being said, my question is: How can holistic healing cure a chemically induced physical sickness?

I myself am fairly ignorant when it comes to holisic medicine. I do know that there are therapies out there that can detoxify the body, and others out there that can begin healing the harm caused by the toxins. Red would know better than me, but that is my limited knowledge on the matter.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

MembersZone Subscriber

First I must point out that Holistic and Natural remedies are mostly just
    herbs from the earth or therapies such as Massage Therapy to aide the body
    in healing itself, which in return helps the body become stronger.

Just as FF's get a bad rap from the world view so does holistic medicine.
    The point is FF's give more and have more heart than anyone on the face of the Earth, this is my opinion because they are selfless individuals who lay down their life not only for their brother and sister but strangers. People have
    a better opinion today because of 9/11. Over the last Twenty years Americans are finally realizing that maybe the Chinese or Indians knew a little something about the Earth and all it's natural healing agents. Plants and herbs and all the teas we drink help us in ways one can't imagine. Italians for the most part have it right.They cook with Olive oil and garlic which are the best things you could put in your body for over 100 reasons.
    Holistic medicine is the one of the best forms of medicine because you help the body heal it self and build it's immune system stronger.

Not to sound like some hippie in the sixties but I will state the facts.

The earth is made up of herbs and plants (natural remedies). Since Ancient times the Chinese and Europe have used these herbs to aide and heal sickness. I could send you to a 1000 websites that would help but I will have to get back to ya on that.

On a personal note....
    I was very ill for a year and a half. I credit my good health to understanding my body and to natural remedies and therapies. This is after the traditional
    DR.s did all they could and I tried several medicines.
    It was a long hard road but with the help of my family,collegues, a positive attitude and determination I recovered. I am 100%, (well 95%)
    and I can't tell you how thankful I am for that! Not everyone recovers from illness. We all pass on when we are suupose to but in my case I am alive and well. The reason is because of Natural Therapies. Those are the facts.

In College some of curriculum I studied was Anatomy and Physiology,Pathologies,Chinese Medicine,and Medical Terminology. Understanding the basic function of the body. I tried to heal each symptom seperately. In time I improved and now I am well.

You ask.....That being said, my question is: How can holistic healing cure a chemically induced physical sickness?

That is the BIG question. I am going to research what causes this cough.
    Can you reverse some of the effects? I don't know,but I AM going to find out.
    Just like with any major illness their are struggles and doubts what works what doesn't. If even a little relief or hope can be brought to them I will fell better in my heart.

For those who don't know....
    Massage Therapy is a circulatory therapy. It flushes out the toxins in your body. FF's, body builders, cops and all physically demanding jobs build up stress in the body. You need to flush out these toxins. FF more than anyone of the face of the earth need this more than ANYBODY. I could write 10 books
    on why this is true. It is so important for you to release all of these toxins before they become toxic in your body and create disease. I will say this..... Massage should be incorporated in your lifestyle. Big Companies know the importance of this therapy. They schedule Monthly and yearly massage
    for employees because of the benefits massage gives.

FF's will rarely ask for the help they need. They need Massage. I used to have some FF's as clients in Florida, weekly. Male and female.
    Especially during training. Not only do FF's work out physically but you have to factor in the emotional stress as well. Massage Therapy is well
    known as needed health benefit.Studies show the benefits and alot of insurers include it in packages. For FF's it should be
    as important as working out. Trust me. FF's prepare their bodies to endure the worst and should help their bodies recover also. Just might save your life one day.

I will find some websites to post on here in a little while.

Just for the record I am NOT advertising,I am advocating. It is my intent to help those who are suffering,not gain clientele. Thank you.

Melissa

MembersZone Subscriber

This is what kills my heart.

I never complained, or sued, nor will I, but in case I die take care of my kid's...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They were among the 40,000 who stepped forward for New York and America after 9-11-01, and they speak here of the price they paid for serving. Their stories are not unusual. No, they are typical among the more than 12,000 men and women who were sickened by breathing the toxic cloud that shrouded Ground Zero. They tell of damaged lungs and psyches, of fears of worse to come and of beliefs that the cloud has brought on cancers and may bring death. They feel betrayed by a government that said the air was safe and cast aside by officials who failed to address the sweeping nature of the resulting epidemic. Above all, these personal accounts stand as an indictment of a neglectful city and country, which must now right the terrible wrong of forgetting those who did the extraordinary at great personal cost.

This is part of a post from E40/L35 on the thread about helping at WTC.

Melissa

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff

FWDBuff.

Here is an excellent website about Natural Health Therapy. On the right your will see Q and A. Click on anything under Modalities, and also scroll down a little and you will see more modalities. Pick one and read about them. Most therapies are proven, some are questionable, just like traditional medicine. But for starters this is a good place. Email me if you like firetruck_red1005@yahoo.com. I am truly sorry about your best friend.

One of the questions that pops into my head is,....Is it acute?

If the chemicals that produced the symptoms, leading to disease ,have been festering around in the lungs and blood for 5 yrs, I would not call that acute.

Can natural health therapy help if this is true? Acute normally is something that occurs immediatly within a 24/48 period. Are they saying acute because strong symptoms for some come on quickly without much notice and then die within a year?

There is much to read. Please God, help these people. : (

I need to study about herbs that aid in the function of the lungs and blood and therapies for asthma to start.

Melissa
    Last edited by firetruckred; 08-08-2006 at 01:51 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default FF's find relief

Colorado Firefighters Find Relief in the Hands of Massage Therapists
    By Andi Tillman, NCTMB

Editor's note: Andi Tilmann is a massage therapist specializing in SMRT (Spontaneous Muscle Release Technique) and CranioSacral Therapy. Andi teaches SMRT and anatomy at Full Circle School of Alternative Therapies in Edwards, Colorado, where she received most of her original training. From June 14-17, Andi joined faculty and students at Full Circle, along with other local practitioners, to provide massage to firefighters battling one of several massive forest fires in the state. Her account of what took place was originally written as an e-mail to friends and acquaintances, then graciously submitted for publication to Massage Today.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a wonderful experience this weekend that touched me, and with all this talk about community lately, I wanted to share it with you. As you may know, I live in Colorado, and as you also may know, there are large and out-of-control forest fires all over the state -- two of the largest in populated areas. I live very near the town of Glenwood Springs, where the first big fire struck (the "Coal Seam Fire"). My interstate exit was the one that was shut down when the fire jumped the interstate in Glenwood Canyon, stranding folks on both ends of the canyon for days. My house filled up with smoke one night, but was in no danger. Our whole valley is hazy and smoky. Fifty-five hundred people were evacuated from their homes, and 28 homes in a town of 12,000 were completely destroyed. The fire was 1/2 mile from the downtown main street, all through the second night. Our new community center couldn't serve the evacuees, because the wall of flame came literally right up to the back door, but that building was saved. A community college campus became the Red Cross evacuation site, staffed with over 50 faculty volunteers and countless students wanting to help. They even arranged to truck in food from their Aspen campus kitchen!

This community really rallied itself in the face of this tragedy. The Red Cross had to turn down clothing and volunteers. People were just showing up with blankets and pillows, or pots of soup and cookies, and taking off work to come cook breakfast for the evacuees and firefighters. Rafting companies and car dealerships donated their fleet of vans and employees to shuttle evacuees. The local radio stations stopped regular programming to take information calls 24 hours on the air, to share stories, updates, and help people find each other, and to get resident status reports from various neighborhoods that were on alert to evacuate, which evidently is rather unprecedented. It really served to cut down on the wild rumors. There are dozens of stories about neighbors caring for each other: fathers sending their families to the shelter, but refusing to evacuate themselves until the last second so they could care for elderly neighbors; people helping neighbors get out by making trips right up to the fire line with their SUVs; and so much more.

The students from Full Circle and I headed down to the base camp from Friday through Monday [June 14-17] to work on the firefighters when they got in for the night. Friday night, there were three tables and about six therapists, including students Sharon O'Grady and Janet Thomas. Word got out, and by the time I got to work Saturday night, I counted 18 massage tables and five massage chairs, all with a line of tired, dirty firefighters waiting. Two chiropractors and two acupuncturists were also there. Monday night, I took my Swedish massage students on a field trip to the camp, and it was the best experience I could imagine for them to have so early in their careers. They all got so much out of it! What a wonderful way for them to begin to understand the gift they have to offer with massage!

My most memorable experience was Saturday night [June 15th]. There were over 700 firefighters working here, with a base camp set up in a town park. That alone was a rather remarkable sight! What an operation! A local spa, The Yampah Spa and Vapor Caves, which is walking distance from the park and had been donating services to the firefighters, began to organize massage therapists to go to the camp. They contacted the Full Circle School of Alternative Therapies, where I teach massage, looking for volunteers. Our students were eager to go. They were jumping up and down at the chance. We all felt so grateful for what the firefighters were doing!

The whole camp was abuzz with healing stories. Many of the firefighters had never experienced any alternative therapies before, and they were all talking to each other and amazed at how much they were helped. They were so beat up and tired! I was able to help three injured people one night using SMRT. They were all dumbfounded that it could help so much. I heard stories all around me. Some of them just begged for a foot massage, after being on a steep slope in combat boots for 15 hours that day. They were all so appreciative and grateful, but we just kept telling them, "So are we! You are saving our town!"

Some said they'd been firefighters for 6-10 years and never had massage in camp, and never had a community be so grateful or offer them so much support. Most of the massage volunteers worked five hours straight every night, until almost midnight, and couldn't wait to go back again. Many had come from over an hour away! I couldn't help but see the community and healing and connection that a devastating fire gave rise to. It was very touching to be so close to that special warmth that comes up when people need each other in a crisis, and such a wonderful feeling to have something of value to offer. There are so many good hearts out there!

I know things that with the current world situation, things will probably get more difficult before they get better, but I have hope from a new place that we will be OK in the end. There are more of us out there who have what it takes than it seems when you watch the news!

Take heart!

Andi Tilmann, NCMT
    Full Circle School of Alternative Therapies
    Edwards, Colorado

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tried To Put As New Thread

If you see this in the new thread it is not a repost by accident. I tried to post it as a new thread first. Sorry.

M

MembersZone Subscriber

I am pleased to post this. : )

SERVING THOSE WHO SERVE, INC. is an all-volunteer nonprofit 501(c) (3) organization dedicated to the health and well-being of workers and volunteers who served at Ground Zero and related sites. We offer them our immune-building detoxification program free of charge. Our goal is to reach the thousands of rescue and recovery workers and volunteers who are struggling with health issues because of exposure to the sites.

Many workers are still experiencing respiratory problems, as well as memory loss, fatigue and depression because of exposure to metal toxicity at Ground Zero. For many of them, the consequences of their selfless service has affected their health, families, lifestyle and future. More and more information continues to surface about the long-term health risks resulting from metal toxicity at the 9/11 sites.

Renowned Ayurvedic practitioners, Dr. Pankaj Naram and his wife Dr. Smita Naram, have formulated and provided herbal supplements that produce a natural detoxification process aimed at restoring respiratory health and eliminating metal toxicity from the system. These detox and immune-boosting herbs are listed as dietary supplements by the FDA. By eliminating the root cause, health conditions arising from toxicity in the system are diminished. As directors of Ayushakti Ayurved Clinic in Mumbai, India, they have been treating every health problem, including metal toxicity, for over 20 years.

The STWS detox program consists of 4 herbal supplements that can be safely integrated with a participant's current health protocol. All workers and volunteers affected by exposure to Ground Zero are invited to participate, free of charge. In addition, residents who feel at risk due to their proximity to the sites may also receive the herbs at-cost. Herbs are distributed every 4 weeks in Manhattan, and are taken under no obligation to Serving Those Who Serve, Inc.

Also,

Ayurveda is an ancient health care system that has been practiced in India for thousands of years. The herbal supplements are derived from age-old formulas that have been reformulated to address modern conditions, such as environmental pollutants. Because these herbal supplements are a natural food supplement, they work gradually with the body’s system to create a healthy internal environment and gently remove toxins, which are at the root of many illnesses.

During the detoxification process, people may notice changes in physiological functions for brief periods. These are positive signs. The body is reacting to poisonous substances – toxins moving out of its system. These symptoms will normally last for a few days, and are often followed by a feeling of lightness and then vitality.

Reaction to detoxification can range from immediate and obvious to gradual and very subtle. Everyone’s constitution is different. Toxins will nonetheless be broken down within the body itself and processed through digestion and elimination.

http://www.stws.org/
    Last edited by firetruckred; 12-04-2007 at 06:05 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

INFLAMMATION - TIME Magazine called it the Secret Killer in their 2/23/04 cover story, and the possible link to such diverse diseases as arthritis, cancer, heart disease and Alzheimer's disease to name a few.

Could one condition, inflammation, be the root cause to some leading killer diseases in the world today? Well, the answer is yes, according to lots of research that points to the "heart of Fire" - inflammation that may begin the whole process of atherosclerotic heart disease and the "Brain of Fire", inflammation that may be the cause of those neurofibrillary tangles seen in Alzheimer's disease.

To understand more about inflammation, let's first look at ways traditional medicine treat inflammation.

1. Corticosteroids like prednisone, etc.
    2. Non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs, or NSAIDS, and more recently COX-2 inhibitors. All of these drugs have serious side effects.

Side effects of corticosteroids include: osteoporosis, muscle weakness, diabetes,elevated blood sugar fats, tremors, glaucoma, insomnia, headaches, peptic ulcers and increased susceptibility to infection.

Side effects of the NSAIDS include gastrointestinal bleeding, that kills an estimated 16, 500 people in this country per year, and congestive heart failure that hospitalizes over 105,000 patients and kills 16,000 people per year.

More recently, COX-2 inhibitors were developed as safer drugs to treat pain and inflammation , but 2 out of 3 were taken off the market due to fears of heart disease and deaths from even short term use.

The bad news is that the traditional medicine approaches to inflammation are riddled with some times-deadly effects. The good news is that there are natural ways to deal with inflammation , including the therapeutic use of antioxidants, bioflavonoids and other botanicals. Is there any scientific evidence that antioxidants and bioflavnoids can protect the vital organs from inflammatory damage and premature aging?

In an article from Archives of Neurology in 2004, the authors concluded that people who took just 500 mg of Vitamin C and 400 iu of Vitamin E, reduced their chance of developing Alzheimer's disease by an amazing 78%!

Several articles in the prestigious New England Journal of Medicine suggest that cardio C Reactive Protein (cCRP) is a measure of inflammation in the heart and presents a greater risk of heart disease that do elevated cholesterol and LDL levels. In our clinic, we have successfully used natural formulas containing bioflavonoids and turmeric to bring down cCRP levels to normal. This may be due to the ability to inhibit inflammation of pro-inflammatory gene expression by modulation of Nuclear Factor kappa B ( NF-kappa B) and other cytokines.

Borage oil, primrose oil and fish oil all are metabolized into anti-inflammatory chemicals called prostaglandin E1 and E3 (PGE1 & PGE3). Including these nutritional supplements in our diet can help us naturally fight inflammation.

Finally, oxidative stress can contribute to inflammation. This is caused by a deficiency of antioxidants, or over whelming exposure to pro-oxidants and an exaggerated production of reactive oxygen species (ROS). Protection against these reactive oxygen species comes through consumption of foods with high Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity (ORAC).

The United States Department of Agriculture, on the their website (www.ars.usda.gov), suggests that antioxidants rich foods can forestall the aging process, and points out that the ORAC values measure the total antioxidant power of various foods. Looking at the table of ORAC vales of dried fruits and vegetables, we find that Carrots have an ORAC value of 50, Tomatoes - 60, Green Peppers - 160 and Wild Blueberries a whopping 260. But some of the highest ORAC values come from recently discovered berry from palms in the Amazon. Due to the ORAC value in MonaVie's patent -pending process, the Acai berry in the MonaVie Blend carries and ORAC score that is 79 times higher than that of red grapes and an anthocyanin (purple colored antioxidant) level that is 20-30 times that of red wine.

The government advises us to eat 5-7 servings of fruits and vegetables daily to get the combined ORAC value to fight the free radicals that cause oxidation and aging and the inflammation behind our major diseases today. Consumption of the Monavie Blend, which contains lots of other antioxidants and bioflavonoids, is an excellent way to slow down the aging process and remain healthy.

Jay D. Foster, Nutritional Biochemist
    Body Chemistry Associates, Inc.

This article can be some what difficult to understand. Basically it explains a few ways you can help relieve inflammation. One way is by drinking a drink with the main ingredient that has the the Acai berry. Look it up. It is one of the most amazing things one can discover. This is a fruit that contains minerals, vitamins, antioxidants and much more vital to us and our good health. You can buy it in many forms but the most potent is the liquid form in a combination with other fruits. When you eat or drink anything in a liquid form it has an immediate effect. It goes directly into the blood stream so you get the full benefits immediately. You make take it in a powder form or in a pill also. I prefer liquid and this product myself. Whatever works.

MembersZone Subscriber

Brazilian berry destroys cancer cells in lab, UF study shows

Filed under Research, Health, Sciences, Agriculture on Thursday, January 12, 2006.GAINESVILLE, Fla. — A Brazilian berry popular in health food contains antioxidants that destroyed cultured human cancer cells in a recent University of Florida study, one of the first to investigate the fruit’s purported benefits.

Published today in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, the study showed extracts from acai (ah-SAH’-ee) berries triggered a self-destruct response in up to 86 percent of leukemia cells tested, said Stephen Talcott, an assistant professor with UF’s Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences.

“Acai berries are already considered one of the richest fruit sources of antioxidants,” Talcott said. “This study was an important step toward learning what people may gain from using beverages, dietary supplements or other products made with the berries.”

He cautioned that the study, funded by UF sources, was not intended to show whether compounds found in acai berries could prevent leukemia in people.

“This was only a cell-culture model and we don’t want to give anyone false hope,” Talcott said. “We are encouraged by the findings, however. Compounds that show good activity against cancer cells in a model system are most likely to have beneficial effects in our bodies.”

Other fruits, including grapes, guavas and mangoes, contain antioxidants shown to kill cancer cells in similar studies, he said. Experts are uncertain how much effect antioxidants have on cancer cells in the human body, because factors such as nutrient absorption, metabolism and the influence of other biochemical processes may influence the antioxidants’ chemical activity.

Another UF study, slated to conclude in 2006, will investigate the effects of acai’s antioxidants on healthy human subjects, Talcott said. The study will determine how well the compounds are absorbed into the blood, and how they may affect blood pressure, cholesterol levels and related health indicators. So far, only fundamental research has been done on acai berries, which contain at least 50 to 75 as-yet unidentified compounds.

“One reason so little is known about acai berries is that they’re perishable and are traditionally used immediately after picking,” he said. “Products made with processed acai berries have only been available for about five years, so researchers in many parts of the world have had little or no opportunity to study them.”

Talcott said UF is one of the first institutions outside Brazil with personnel studying acai berries. Besides Talcott, UF’s acai research team includes Susan Percival, a professor with the food science and human nutrition department, David Del Pozo-Insfran, a doctoral student with the department and Susanne Mertens-Talcott, a postdoctoral associate with the pharmaceutics department of UF’s College of Pharmacy.

Acai berries are produced by a palm tree known scientifically as Euterpe oleracea, common in floodplain areas of the Amazon River, Talcott said. When ripe, the berries are dark purple and about the size of a blueberry. They contain a thin layer of edible pulp surrounding a large seed.

Historically, Brazilians have used acai berries to treat digestive disorders and skin conditions, he said. Current marketing efforts by retail merchants and Internet businesses suggest acai products can help consumers lose weight, lower cholesterol and gain energy.

“A lot of claims are being made, but most of them haven’t been tested scientifically,” Talcott said. “We are just beginning to understand the complexity of the acai berry and its health-promoting effects.”

In the current UF study, six different chemical extracts were made from acai fruit pulp, and each extract was prepared in seven concentrations.

Four of the extracts were shown to kill significant numbers of leukemia cells when applied for 24 hours. Depending on the extract and concentration, anywhere from about 35 percent to 86 percent of the cells died.

The UF study demonstrates that research on foods not commonly consumed in the United States is important, because it may lead to unexpected discoveries, said Joshua Bomser, an assistant professor of molecular nutrition and functional foods at The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio.

But familiar produce items have plenty of health-giving qualities, he said.

“Increased consumption of fruits and vegetables is associated with decreased risk for many diseases, including heart disease and cancer,” said Bomser, who researches the effects of diet on chronic diseases. “Getting at least five servings a day of these items is still a good recommendation

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is an article on asthma. What it is and how it is treated. It explains what people use as traditional medicine and non traditional, as they put it. This mean Americans do not practice these methods 'traditionally' though they have been used for centuries in other parts of the world.

http://www.mountsinai.org/msh/clinic...asth_about.htm

This website is balanced. Very informative and accurate. Combines both Eastern and Western medicine. (American remedies and Chinese/Asia remedies etc.) I post this because if I post something that just talks about natural remedies it does not reach those of you who will say, "well that is a bunch of non sense." lol. This is both sides, Holistic and Traditional

MembersZone Subscriber

Garlic and Ginger are two of the best foods you can eat. The benefits are awesome.

Benefits of Ginger Root

Ginger has been revered in Indian and Chinese civilizations for over 5000 years for its powerful health imparting properties. In fact, Indian ginger is said to have the most potent medicinal properties.

Due to such a prolonged belief, research on ginger benefits was natural. Sure enough, the results were on expected lines:

Danish researchers found that ginger can block the effects of prostaglandin - a substance that cause inflammation of the blood vessels in the brain and can lead to migraines.

Ginger was found to be effective for relieving the severity of nausea even in cases of pregnancy.

Many women claim that ginger tea helps rid them of menstrual cramps.

It has anti-inflammatory properties that can lessen the pain of rheumatoid arthritis.

Respiratory infections - it is well known for its warming action on the upper respiratory tract, so it has been used to treat colds and flu.

It has been found to be effective in cramps caused by stomach gas. Ginger also stimulates digestion.

It has a wholesome effect on the circulatory system as it makes the platelets less sticky and is of great benefit in case of circulatory disorders.

As a mood enhancer, ginger's cineole content may help contribute to stress relief.

It is a great mouth freshener and ginger tea has vastly refreshing properties.

In all, incorporating a ginger intake in your daily routine can lead to definite wholesome effects. Tulsi Ginger Tea combines the unique properties of Organic Indian Ginger with the powerful Basil Herb. It is a refreshing drink which will help you gain from the virtues of these medicinal herbs. To read more on this basil-ginger tea Click here

Health Benefits Of Garlic

Garlic has been around for centuries and in that time, the health benefits of garlic have grown beyond fending off vampires and warding against the evil eye. Garlic has always been a food of the peasant classes. Used as a remedy to cure many common ailments, the garlic clove helped fight smallpox and pulmonary tuberculosis, according to Wikipedia.org. The people of the Mediterranean were among the first to reap the benefits of garlic before it spread to Europe.

Modern medicine has only recently begun to take a serious look at the health benefits of garlic, trying to find where the myth ends and where practical medicinal application begins. Hospitals and medical journals the world over have done countless studies on garlic and have found much information to support the health benefits of garlic, but at the same time, nothing is absolutely proven to be true. Still, here are a few of the findings regarding the benefits of garlic.

A Cure for the Common Cold?
    At some point, everyone has experienced a cold. A cold is an infection of the upper respiratory tract and while it is harmless, the runny nose, cough, congestion and sore throat can linger for days or weeks. Rhinovirus is the most common cause of colds, although there are over 200 different viruses that can cause the affliction. Some people say that eating a raw clove of garlic as soon as the sniffles start will stop the cold from gaining a foothold in the body. Studies done at the Mayo Clinic show garlic contains properties that help to boost the body’s levels of antioxidants, which work as a defense system against viruses. This has lead to more research into the health benefits of garlic, especially how it can support the immune system against other diseases.

The Fight against Cancer
    Researchers have been trying to find cures for cancer for years now, and the health benefits of garlic rank high among the studies done to fight this disease. As mentioned before, the benefits of garlic include boosting the immune system and may have some properties required to fight cancer. Reports have shown that garlic contains properties that help prevent the growth of cancerous cells in the body. Some components of garlic have proven to block cancer from forming or slow the growth and reduce the size of existing tumors. The health benefits of garlic have been particularly successful against breast, stomach, prostate and bladder cancer. Crushing a clove of garlic releases compounds called diallye disulphide and s-allycystein, the compounds believed to prevent carcinogens from destroying breast cells.

The Benefits of Garlic vs. Heart Disease
    The health benefits of garlic have proven to lower cholesterol levels and raise the good (HDL) cholesterol. When the bad cholesterol (LDL) builds up on arterial walls, it forms plaque, which causes high blood pressure. This in turn could lead to a stroke when fragments of this plaque break away and clog the smaller blood vessels of the brain.

A garlic clove or its equivalent in pill form consumed on a daily basis has proven to help strengthen the aorta, the blood vessel responsible for maintaining blood pressure. Over the course of a person’s life, the aorta can stiffen, causing the heart to work harder. Garlic helps to keep the aorta flexible and slows the aorta’s aging process.

Other studies have shown that the health benefits of garlic work to thin the blood, another factor in reducing high blood pressure. Populations that consume high quantities of garlic seem to have a higher tolerance to hypertension and other forms of heart disease.

Anti-Bacterial Properties
    In 1858, Louis Pasteur discovered garlic had a dynamic effect on bacteria. When smothered with garlic, the bacterial cells withered and died, unable to survive against the chemical compounds in the garlic. The benefits of garlic also aided against intestinal parasites and yeast infections. Garlic, when used in conjunction with other antibiotics, has proven to be quite effective. How does garlic do this? Research has shown that garlic stimulates the T-cells. T-cells (the “T” standing for “thymus”, which is the primary force behind T-cell production) belong to a group of white blood cells, the body’s primary defense when fighting infection.

A Few Words of Caution
    While the health benefits of garlic are many, there are a few cautionary advisories regarding use of the herb. Of course, the biggest drawback of garlic is bad breath (halitosis) and strong body odor. Some people might find garlic gives them indigestion or causes nausea. Garlic should not be taken with blood thinning medication, such as warfarin.

Garlic can also cause botulism, particularly garlic stored in oil. Garlic can pick up botulism spoors from the soil, which provides the perfect environment for botulism to thrive in oil. Poorly stored garlic in oil could easily cause food poisoning. ( In other words don't buy garlic in those cute little bottles with olive oil.)

For the most part, garlic is fine for pregnant women. Research at one of the hospitals in London even reported that garlic could help babies at risk for a low birth weight. On the other hand, garlic’s blood thinning qualities could put the mother at risk for excessive bleeding and possibly miscarriage. As with anything, check with a doctor before consuming anything considered risky.

Although many studies show the health benefits of garlic, there is no official FDA approved study on record. Moderation is always best, despite centuries of garlic use without any major adverse effects.

Despite garlic’s anti-bacterial properties, raw garlic should never be applied directly to the skin. Some people have reported serious burns from holistic treatments for acne or insertion of a clove of garlic into a body cavity.

Although garlic may be healthy, some people cannot tolerate the strong taste or pungent smell of garlic. Many products on the market provide the health benefits of garlic without the taste or bad smell. Products such as Kyolic or Kwai are powdered garlic in pill form. Unfortunately, studies documented in the Archives of Internal Medicine and the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), suggest that garlic in pill form is not nearly as effective as eating an actual clove of garlic. ( We take Kyolic in the liquid form.)

MembersZone Subscriber

This is a excellent website to help understand the different techniques and therapies you can use in the natural health field.

http://www.naturalhealers.com/questions.htm

Look to the right of the page and click on the therapies under Q & A - Popular Specialties.

The man in this video is a former Firefighter/Paramedic from CA. He is a Dr. who specializes in Cancer. His patients are in their last stages. He explains why antioxidants in fruits, such as the acai berry, help the body become well.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=16933601

If you can not see this video please let me know.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well I decided to stick my neck out, because it is necessary, and post info I have shared with others privately.

makes good girls go bad

Red
    This is some pretty cool stuff.
    I just wish I had the money for a massage.....
    and Im not talking the happy ending type!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Red,

you have hit on a topic that I feel people are afraid to even learn about. You deserve a ton credit for taking time to try to educate everyone on something that could easily safe their life.

If just one person learns something from your posts, than it is a positive start.

I definitely have.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have to admit that I really never had much faith in holistic or natural medicines. I did however become a believer some years ago. My Mother was dying of a degenerative nerve disease and could not even sit up or barely move her arms. My wife was a firm believer in a product called Matol or in the US, called Km. She started giving it to my Mother three times a day along with a nurses help. Within a week, my Mother could sit up slightly with help of reclining bed and could play cards with my wife. Many nurses were amazed at the diffrence and commented on it. Unfortunately the Dr got wind of it and blew his stack saying he was the only one who could authorise any medicine. This was not classified as a medicine but as a health supplement. Needless to say, this was forbidden and unfortunately my Mother succummed to her condition a short time later. Put me down as a firm believer

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you for the kind posts. I appreciate it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would like to add this is for everyone who worked down at ground zero. There are many who are concerned for their health and are not sure what to do as far as prevention. These are great as preventitive methods. Don't wait til you have symptoms. Get checked out.

The fruit called the Acai Berry from Brazil is mentioned in these posts. Please look into it, research it. This is one of the most healthy foods you can eat. Fruits high in antioxidants are proven to help maintain good health and also help fight many illness. Nothing alone is a cure all but this fruit along with other preventitive methods can help you and has helped many.

Thread Information