Thread: Heartfelt plea

Forum Member

Default Heartfelt plea

A big problem, not reserved to rookies:

When putting gas operated equipment away after starting it for whatever reason, reset it to be started as simply as possible. Reset your choke, off switch, trigger locks, etcetera, for the love of God, we are dumb enough that several of us will gather to speculate during non-emergency situations when the only problem is a stinking switch being left as it was to stop the tool.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46

When putting gas operated equipment away after starting it for whatever reason, reset it to be started as simply as possible. Reset your choke, off switch, trigger locks, etcetera, for the love of God, we are dumb enough that several of us will gather to speculate during non-emergency situations when the only problem is a stinking switch being left as it was to stop the tool.
    Some people are lucky enough to find the off switch let alone getting the tool ready for its next use.BE SAFE

Forum Member

Or, the simpler fix is to make sure everyone knows how to operate the equipment........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Even though making sure everyone knows how to at least start the equipment is a good idea,my old department has a policy of"If it has an on/off switch,always return it to the on position after stopping it."We rightly figured that no fan or chain saw was going to start itself while we were barreling down Clark's River Road no matter who was driving.
    It saves time and frustration trying to find the daggumed switch in the dark,wearing gloves and some self appointed motivator standing over you on a working fire.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firenresq77
    Or, the simpler fix is to make sure everyone knows how to operate the equipment........
    And if they know how, they will return it to its proper position--the ready position.

Forum Member

And if they know how, they will return it to its proper position--the ready position.
    I'm just saying if you can't start a chainsaw, power unit, k-12, whatever within 30 seconds or so, you have some issues..... Turning the power switch/choke/gas on doesn't take you that long to do if you know your equipment.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firenresq77
    I'm just saying if you can't start a chainsaw, power unit, k-12, whatever within 30 seconds or so, you have some issues..... Turning the power switch/choke/gas on doesn't take you that long to do if you know your equipment.......
    Or it has issues.

That's fine. Yes, the first thing you should check is switch position, but it's just as important to prepare your equipment for ready use. You should also be able to go through and flip switches to restore the power to your fire commander (assuming you have one) if someone doesn't do so after checking the manual pump override, but it is also true that you should reset said switched ahead of time, when there's no fire, no pressure, no confusion.

Never had a problem starting a working saw, even on the fireground if it's been left in an off position, but it's irritating when things haven't been done, and no delay is acceptable.

Forum Member

Quick truck co question. I know that standard ops is that when doing a vent op, you start your saw on level ground and then make your climb. But if you have a flat roof below where you are venting, can you start it on the flat and then make your climb? Or just start it on the ground.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMikey
    Quick truck co question. I know that standard ops is that when doing a vent op, you start your saw on level ground and then make your climb. But if you have a flat roof below where you are venting, can you start it on the flat and then make your climb? Or just start it on the ground.

I was taught that you start it on the ground to make sure it'll start,then before you climb,shut the motor off to prevent the parts that go roundy roundy from contacting you during the climb and restarting it when you gain the roof and are off the ladder.
    Not having had any climbs where another was needed,I would poist that waiting until you were where the cut needed to be made to restart the saw would be the best plan.

Forum Member

Back to the issue of leaving the equipment ready to start, we had a problem with this. While changing the oil in our gas PPV fans our maintenance man found large quantities of gas mixed in. We now have a directive (that everyone was made aware of) to shut the gas of when not in use.

The two important issues are training and communication.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GFD940
    Back to the issue of leaving the equipment ready to start, we had a problem with this. While changing the oil in our gas PPV fans our maintenance man found large quantities of gas mixed in. We now have a directive (that everyone was made aware of) to shut the gas of when not in use.

The two important issues are training and communication.
    Something similar happened to me from my last dept. We had a run to a car fire with extension to others on the third floor of a parking garage. PPV fan was needed, so up I went with it and looked like an idiot trying to start it! Officer decided to turn the gas OFF on it. And never told anyone. You are right training and communication in the fire service go hand in hand. Unfortunately, communication is our biggest enemy!

Thread Information