Forum Member

Default Suggestions for getting hired with Orlando?

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping I could get some insight and tips for getting hired with OFD. I graduated standards 1 year ago, just got my EMT and have a 2 yr AA degree if that matters. I have also been serving as a voly fire fighter with my county's voly fire department for about 1 yr. I've heard OFD is super selective about who they hire but there is no where I'd like to work for more than the Orlando Fire Department. Any suggestions or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

Default Orlando Fd

Great Chioce. Ofd Is A Very Well Run Department. I Have Many Friends Who Work AT Ofd. Good Luck. Study Hard And Do Well On The Agility Test. If You Can, Drive To AN Ofd Firehouses And Talk To Some Of The Guys There GET SOME INSIGHT ON WHAT THEY ARE LOOKING FOR. Ofd Would Be The Only Other Department That I Would Leave Tampa For. Great Department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default OFD Hiring information

Start studying, it has come through the grapevine that we are testing at the end of October. You can check: Cityoforlado.net for the exact information, should be out by the end of the week, or early next week.

This will be a good list to do well on, we are opening 3 stations in the next 3 years, 15 positions per station. There might be more new positions at other stations.

Good Luck
    Stay Safe

Rob

Forum Member

I finish medic school in December and start fire school in january, so I was wondering whether I'd be able test for Orlando in October. Do they require that you have the fire certs before you apply, or can you get hired and they put you through an academy?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SouthFlaHopeful
    I finish medic school in December and start fire school in january, so I was wondering whether I'd be able test for Orlando in October. Do they require that you have the fire certs before you apply, or can you get hired and they put you through an academy?
    From what I gather you will need to be already certified or at the very least, past school but waiting to test. It's VERY competitive so theyll weed people out for what ever reason. I heard last time Orlando tested they had over 500 testies!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by cuda340
    I heard last time Orlando tested they had over 500 testies!
    I was going to comment, but I thought better of it....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Talking

I heard last time Orlando tested they had over 500 testies!
    So whats that..about 250 people?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SouthFlaHopeful
    If OFD doesnt work out, come over to Pinellas. With that medic cert you almost have, once you get your fire cert you can pick your spot. EVERYBODYS hurting for medics. You may find some that will hire you without the fire cert, but Im not sure.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ofd

Hey Brother I went to CityofOrlando.net and put in an app. the other day, you should go there and fill it out. I also got an e-mail from them that Oct.31 they will holding a written exam then posting the scores later that afternoon. At that time they will ask those that passed the test to come back in Nov to test for the Phy. test. For what i heard the test are better hard. Let me know if that helped.

Forum Member

from my understanding orlando likes experience. ive had many many friends that i worked with that have gone through testing with them. They usually have upwards of 1000 apps and test about 500 or so, for only 2 or 3 positions. good luck though! if you know your stuff anything can happen.

MembersZone Subscriber

is the written test on the 4 edition essentials book or is on general knowledge?

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation

The written is based on essentials 4 and Brady EMT series 3 I believe. The material needed to study will be posted in the response e-mail you receive from Orlando.net once you fill out the first application.
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rpferry
    The written is based on essentials 4 and Brady EMT series 3 I believe. The material needed to study will be posted in the response e-mail you receive from Orlando.net once you fill out the first application.
    thank you. i finally got an email from them. thanks again.

Josh

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

No problem man. Study hard and good luck on the written.

MAS
    Forum Member

Cold hard facts of Orlando Fire/Rescue.

1. Females get hired first {Noone will admit it} .

2. Over 700 people attend for 3 positions

3. You must be a Medic for them to even look at you.

4. Its all who you know, not how well you test.

I suggest you start getting to know some higher up brass to get a referral on the Hiring teams desks.

MAS
    Forum Member

What do you mean Pinellas is hurting for Medics? What Dept in pinellas needs Medics? This is news flash to me. All the Depts i know of in Pinellas have a waiting list to get on the Dept as a Medic.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

From Mutalaidsupply:

"Cold hard facts of Orlando Fire/Rescue.

1. Females get hired first {Noone will admit it} .

2. Over 700 people attend for 3 positions

3. You must be a Medic for them to even look at you.

4. Its all who you know, not how well you test.

I suggest you start getting to know some higher up brass to get a referral on the Hiring teams desks."

This information is not accurate at all.
    1- females have a harder time getting hired because of the difficulty and strength associated with the ladder raise.

2. While that number may have applied to past tests, this time around there were 400 people in the actual written for aprox. 45-55 positions.

3. Being a medic doesn't mean anything.

4. Knowing people will help for sure but it is not the end all be all.

MembersZone Subscriber

man I went up there to take that written test and it was one of the hardest tests I have ever taken. Im just an emt-b and it had some medic questions on it. I had to leave to go to a inteview so I need to call tomorrow to see if I passed.

MAS
    Forum Member

rpferry

From you speaking I assume you work for OFD. Thats great for you, but I talk & eat dinner with big brass from OFD. I have sat in on the interviews, I know what goes on behind the red curtains. the amount of people turning out to try out for OFD is because everyone knows you will need a grace of God to get hired. Or be a female since we need to meet quotas called "affirmative action" OFD has to submit a report to the US Govt every year & tell them how many females have been hired in. But like I said, its done behind the red curtain my friend.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

Quote Originally Posted by MutualAidSupply
    rpferry

From you speaking I assume you work for OFD. Thats great for you, but I talk & eat dinner with big brass from OFD. I have sat in on the interviews, I know what goes on behind the red curtains. the amount of people turning out to try out for OFD is because everyone knows you will need a grace of God to get hired. Or be a female since we need to meet quotas called "affirmative action" OFD has to submit a report to the US Govt every year & tell them how many females have been hired in. But like I said, its done behind the red curtain my friend.
    I do not work for OFD. I have taken the written exam and am going to be taking the physical soon. I work for the city of Apopka which is just north of Orlando. I know you say that you eat dinner with the big brass and sit in on interviews but I have a hard time swallowing that. From what I can tell about all of your posts all you do is jump on threads and start fights with people and call them names. Im not even sure if you are FD. Either way, I hope the brass you eat dinner with doesn't know about the "behind the red curtain" secrets you are putting on a well known web site.

Forum Member

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping I could get some insight and tips for getting hired with OFD. I graduated standards 1 year ago, just got my EMT and have a 2 yr AA degree if that matters. I have also been serving as a voly fire fighter with my county's voly fire department for about 1 yr. I've heard OFD is super selective about who they hire but there is no where I'd like to work for more than the Orlando Fire Department. Any suggestions or guidance is greatly appreciated.
    Hello all. I am a firefighter recruit at a fire academy in Port Canaveral. I have long ways to go to actually apply to local departments. I graduate in February and need to do my EMT next.
    Little background on myself. I moved up here from South Florida. I earned my Bachelors degree down there. No plans to move back and want to stay in the Central Florida area.
    Since I've heard so much about the state pension program, I have more interest in starting my fire service career with a county department. Brevard County FR is on my short list of departments to apply first. Unfortunately at the academy I attend, not a single instructor we have doesn't represent OCFR. We have many fire instructors from Brevard County, City of Melbourne, City of Cocoa, and the City of Orlando.
    The one instructor from OFR, has used an analogy that makes sense to me.
    Departments from Melbourne, Cocoa, Palm Bay, and Brevard County are consider the College football league the City of Orlando is the NFL.
    He implied that OFR is very competitive and selective to get hired there.
    Can anyone tell me about Orange County FR?
    Thanks

Forum Member

hello to all---> the OFD is what everyone considers to be Cent Florida's "FDNY/PFD" I have been here for a litlle over 4 years and its a great department to work for. Yes were opening 3 new stations, and word has it we will need close to 60 new employees. Like any other job a resume (your application) needs to be filled, if you have X amount of years and X amount of classes, there is a good chance of getting hired on. But I have also seen them hire people straight out of standards, and they even had a Cadet Program, where the sponser people through Standards/EMT AND pay them to be there (last one paid close to 14 dollars an hour). As I said OFD is a great place to work for, don't believe the hype. Study hard for the next test (should be another soon, more stations opening after these 3) and get prepared for the agility test. Come and visit some of the houses and meet the guys (that helps too)...

Regarding the County, I'm not sure what there about, go to their website or use 411 to call them. GL

http://www.hostmybb.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=ace

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MutualAidSupply View Post
    rpferry

Where do you get this ? First you post the cold hard facts About Orlando, none of which are true. Second you have sat in on OFD interviews ? I'm calling BS ! OFD interviews are not a public forum. Who have you had dinner with and shared the innerworkings of OFD with ?

Those of you who took the challenge of taking OFD's written / practical and passed congratulations. Hopefully you will be one of the firefighters hired to fill positions in the three new stations we have broke ground on recently.

Those who thought that MutualAidSupply knew anything about OFD and were misled by his "facts" sorry for believing the BS rantings of liar.

I work for OFD and have for the past 8 years. I came to OFD from a small department in south FL and have loved working here. The tradition and brotherhood here are second to none.

If you have any questions about OFD get the truth.

Stay safe
    Rob

“Luck favors the prepared”

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Dell205

How is the academy treating you? Get many tower climbs?? lol I did my fair share while there.

Is Commander Klein and Chief Cronk still there?

Sorry I cant give you any advice on OFD or OCFD as I had no desire to go with a larger department.

Dont be afraid to use Brevard as a stepping stone, everyone else does. Who knows, you may end up liking it and staying there. You never know.

Forum Member

I had a friend that got hired on at OCFD a few years back. he was fresh out of medic and standards classes. He was only 19 and got hired. He left a year ago and went back to Panama City. Good Luck. I wish I would have choosen the Paid FF route when I was younger. I have been a volunteer for 14 years. I went to work with the federal govt as an EMT in the prisons. I paid more.

Thread Information