Thread: Marine FF

Forum Member

Default Marine FF

Is there Marines out there who are FF. I have read plenty of threads on here where ppl are talking about how when you are a FF you have to do other duties as well. I am just curious from the ppl who are FF right now or have been within the past few years, if there is any truth to that. I spent my time as an 0311 and I really don't want to do that again. If there is anyone who any kind of insight for me I would greatly appreciate it. Also if there is any truth to the rumor that there is a waiting list to get into the school. Thank you.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wasnt a Marine FF but I worked very closely with them in the Aircraft Recovery section. As a FF in the Marines you get to do all the stuff related with fire fighting but also the same stuff related to the Marine Corps like stand duty and good stuff like that....

Semper Fi
    Last edited by croninsd; 08-07-2006 at 10:00 PM.

Forum Member

Google USMC Crash Crew, CFR, or ARFF. There's a few community websites out there that can give you a broad spectrum of opinions on the MOS. Also check out military.com's USMC discussion board in the "wannabe" section. Use the "search" function. I'm refraining from answering your question since I imagine things have changed with the current training process and overseas operations (some USMC CFRs are doing structural protection over there). When I was in, we were Marine Crashcrewmen...not firefighters. To us, there was a difference. I'm guessing that paradigm has changed.

Funny when I was in, CFR had the nickname "grunts of the airfield"...for a variety of reasons. I think I had more liberty when I was a real life 03 though (I was an 0311 at one time), and guard duty wasn't nearly as bad as rotting at hot spot during 24hr ops.
    Last edited by frozen7051; 08-08-2006 at 12:04 AM.

Forum Member

7051s were doing structural and ARFF in Iraq until Wackenhut took over. With Wackenhut taking over both functions, the only FF duty the 7051s get is at FARPs and small FOBs. Since this only requires a few, out of the 40-50 assigned to a wing support squadron, most of the rest are doing security patrols, checkpoint duty, and painting rocks at Al Asad.

I have been involved with Marine Reserve ARFF for 10 years after a lat move from engineers. I took the move because I was already a career civilian FF/Medic. I love firefighting and the Corps. But, based on the questions you are asking, I would strongly advise you against going back in the Corps for ARFF. Spend your GI Bill on the fire academy and paramedic school in the state you want to work in, that will avoid the whole reciprocity of training issue. That will get you where you want to go.

Forum Member

I agree with gunnyv, unless you state is a IFSAC or PROBOARD or you want to ba a FED FF the going through the academy and getting the training would be a benefit. Plus as a senior Staff you wont have to worry about the duties I think you are refering to. The only duty I see in your future is maybe SDO, Section head and even Crash Chief after asome experience.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv
    7051s were doing structural and ARFF in Iraq until Wackenhut took over. With Wackenhut taking over both functions, the only FF duty the 7051s get is at FARPs and small FOBs. Since this only requires a few, out of the 40-50 assigned to a wing support squadron, most of the rest are doing security patrols, checkpoint duty, and painting rocks at Al Asad.

I have been involved with Marine Reserve ARFF for 10 years after a lat move from engineers. I took the move because I was already a career civilian FF/Medic. I love firefighting and the Corps. But, based on the questions you are asking, I would strongly advise you against going back in the Corps for ARFF. Spend your GI Bill on the fire academy and paramedic school in the state you want to work in, that will avoid the whole reciprocity of training issue. That will get you where you want to go.

Thread Information