Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default On Duty Exercise Program

Hello, I'm Mike Stefano, author of The Firefighter's Workout Book, as well as health and fitness editor here at Firehouse.Com.

Following my last article, I've received many questions regarding the practicallity of training hard while on duty. Many were concerned about how it would effect immediate response.

Not all workouts need to be done at full capacity. As a matter of fact, it's better to vary intensity levels from day to day. This gives you a greater capacity to perform, and trains your neuromuscular system much more frequently. The result is a much more fit and stronger you.

So reserve the max effort sessions to off duty hours, and fill in at the firehouse with, what I like to call, Mini-Workouts. My next post on Firehouse will feature a few quick and easy routines.

Stay Strong,
    Mike Stefano
    Health and Fitness Editor Firehouse.Com
    www.firefightersworkout.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool On duty workouts

I whole heartedly agree, my crew's workouts are more geared towards functional movement activities and high reps, little to no rest between exercises which results in going into a cardio heart rate. I try to work on movements that increase functional range of motion and endurance. We get creative using mostly bodyweight exercises but also med balls, benches, going out in the app bay for moving exercises, light weights/ high reps for time. My guys are surprised at their lack of range and endurance that results from stricly doing big weights with limited range, this traditional type of workout alone doesn't translate into a well rounded picture of fitness. I am not opposed to weight training by any means. I have my guys do their weight training on off days.
    Our bodies adapt to what you do to it so if you limit what you are exposed to then other demands i.e crawling for long periods, crouching, long periods of overhaul will be more of a challenge.

Orlando Gomez FF, Physical therapist & PFT
    Portland Fire and Rescue
    www.adapttraining.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default O Gomez, and Mike Stefano's posts...

Yep, yep, yep!

Dr. Jen

Forum Member

Default 24/48

How about a work out schedule for those of us tha t work 24/48?
    Currently doing at least 30 minutes of aerobic workout on duty, and trying to work out both days off.
    My typical week goes:
    Day 1(On shift) 30 minute aerobic
    Day 2 Chest, back and shoulders
    Day 3 Legs, arm and core.
    Day 4(on shift) 30 minute aerobic
    Day 5 Chest back and shoulders
    Day 6 legs, arm and core
    If I miss one of my days off I try and do an extended full body workout.

Forum Member

ogomez, that sounds an awful lot like crossfit. If it is, how have you found these type of workouts helped firefighters when on the scene of a crash or structure or wildland fire? (I apologize about the grammar there. If anyone would care to correct it, to show me the proper way to write it, I'd greatly appreciate it.)
    -Josh Brehm

www.crossfit.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Adapt

Stands for Athletic Developement and Performance Training.

Brian Cassidy began about 11 years ago after training with Pete Egosque in CA. I founf the gym in Beaverton, OR about 5 years ago and found it to be the most effective system out there. Now i am the PT there. I hadn't heard of Cross fit until this forum, it look like we are on the same page in alot of ways.

The system we have is all about maximizing ROM,endurance,stength and inturn the body's efficiency to just move.

Check out the web site and we can talk more

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Adapt

Stands for Athletic Developement and Performance Training.

Brian Cassidy began about 11 years ago after training with Pete Egosque in CA. I founf the gym in Beaverton, OR about 5 years ago and found it to be the most effective system out there. Now i am the PT there. I hadn't heard of Cross fit until this forum, it look like we are on the same page in alot of ways.

The system we have is all about maximizing ROM,endurance,stength and inturn the body's efficiency to just move.

Check out the web site and we can talk more

Forum Member

Default On duty workouts

I work for a large urban EMS in the Kansas City area. My service is called Johnson County Med-Act and we are headquartered in Olathe, Kansas. We do the Berkley Schedule working 24's. I have been running for over 20 years and run on a treadmill every shift at least 5 miles. Most recently it seems, I have been getting interupted during my run. Call volume has been increasing. Med-Act strongly encourages physical fitness and allows basically unlimited on duty time for this. I still can not convince management to allow a protected hour or two for fitness.

Do any of the readers work for a service that has such a program? If so, please email me so I can ask you a few questions. Our Wellness and Safety Group is looking into various options and I have taken the responsibility to investigate this.

Thanks

John Bristow
    Lt/Paramedic
    Johnson County Med-Act
    Station 1134-A
    joco62698@aol.com
    jbristow@jocoems.org

Thread Information