Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

But if your pumping out the same trucks it leaves no room for innovation. And with innovation comes great ideas that other departments may want to adapt to help ease their operations. People are buying pierce for the name granted, they do also build exceptional apparatus, however if they are eliminating some of the innovation created by customers by not allowing easy customizability then they are eventually going to lose customers. That is exactly what has begun to happen. The Northeast Departments who have an exceptional amount of money to spend on rigs compared to the rest of the country will be looking elsewhere for that ability to create exactly what they want. The northeast is a huge part of Pierce's sales too.

Forum Member

Maybe the trucks with a lot of customization tend to have more warranty work. maybe this change is to cut down on that.

Forum Member

Engineco2- Obviously your mind is made up and nobody is going to change it. Too bad, you might actually miss out on something good.

Forum Member

sven73 : I come from a Pierce dominated department and I can honestly say I like the rigs. However I do not like how they are eliminating our ability to integrate what we like into the rigs. To me thats senseless in this business. I don't think you were genuinely grasping that that was what I was the point I'm bringing across.

Content deleted by author.
    Last edited by Firefighter807; 07-08-2009 at 07:10 PM.

Forum Member

I wasn't part of the visit, but on a trip up to Appleton a couple weeks back, the sales rep walked the guys around the factory, and they stopped outside some open bay doors. Didn't know what they were looking at and stood there for a couple minutes before someone came over told them to move on and closed the doors. One of the guys however, snapped a photo on his phone. We're thinking this closed-off area might have something to do with the new trucks. This is his photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

FH Mag/.com Contributor

They did that with us when the FBI command trucks were being built, of course keeping new design info secret is a little different from 'national secrets', but still fun.

But we climbed all over the TFFT's they had up there for the Army. You gotta like trucks that have "M-16 Rack" as an option. Some inner city stations should think about them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by VanIsleEVT
    I believe you are correct on the "not so custom" thing. Miami Dade has gone with Spartan/Rosenbauer on their latest big order of quints. I think it was 25 units. When I was at Spartan, there was lime green everywhere. I was told that Pierce wasn't willing to do the "little things" anymore. Spartan was more then willing to build it their way, and let me tell you, they were custom cabs!

Not quite correct. True, we are no longer purchasing quints from Pierce. We tried ALF for a batch of 6 in 2004, but have switched to Rosenbauer/General Safety/RK Aerials/Spartan for the latest round. However, our engines are still Quantums. We just put 4 new deliveries into service this week.
    iluv4201

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFGW942
    I wasn't part of the visit, but on a trip up to Appleton a couple weeks back, the sales rep walked the guys around the factory, and they stopped outside some open bay doors. Didn't know what they were looking at and stood there for a couple minutes before someone came over told them to move on and closed the doors. One of the guys however, snapped a photo on his phone. We're thinking this closed-off area might have something to do with the new trucks. This is his photo.

Wow. Its just like looking at blurry pictures of UFO's, bigfoot, and the lochness monster! Someone call X Files!

iluv4201

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Can't you see Nessie in the back wiring it up? Bigfoot is a diesel mechanic, he doesn't work in that part of the plant.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Based on the photo, I see we can expect a new front window design, in addition to the new grill & headlight fascia promised in the trade journals...

Forum Member

Default customizing rigs

I'm confused with all the comments on this thread about Pierce not customizing their rigs. My department has a pumper on order from Pierce. The prints that the committee showed have multiple things that had to be customized. A neighboring department has a heavy rescue on order that is all customized. They told me that only Pierce and one other company would do what they wanted.

I think the perception that Pierce won't customize has more to do with the dealer than the factory. It wouldn't be unheard of to come across a dealership or individual salesman that doesn't want to do all the legwork dealing with the engineers. That takes up a considerable amount of their time, going back and forth and constantly tweaking so many little details.

Speaking from actual experience working with Pierce many times, unless a request we made was physically impossible or would create a rig that didn't comply with NFPA/DOT/OSHA guidelines/standards, we've never been told "We can't or won't do that". Therefore, I submit that it's very unfair for anyone to claim you can't customize a Pierce as much as any other brand. Way too many generalizations thrown around far too often.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauffer6
    I think the perception that Pierce won't customize has more to do with the dealer than the factory. It wouldn't be unheard of to come across a dealership or individual salesman that doesn't want to do all the legwork dealing with the engineers. That takes up a considerable amount of their time, going back and forth and constantly tweaking so many little details.

Speaking from actual experience working with Pierce many times, unless a request we made was physically impossible or would create a rig that didn't comply with NFPA/DOT/OSHA guidelines/standards, we've never been told "We can't or won't do that". Therefore, I submit that it's very unfair for anyone to claim you can't customize a Pierce as much as any other brand. Way too many generalizations thrown around far too often.
    I agree 100%. Our 02 Pierce quint had almost 2 pages of custom items, several of which the Pierce engineers told us they had never attempted. They did everything we asked for. No problem.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Default Any new info?

Has anybody come across any new info or pictures on what Pierce is talking about or going to in September?

Forum Member

Post Custom Apparatus

Having speced out an Engine with Pierce I felt that they discourged custom apparatus by bumping the price way up. Since that advanture in 2002-2003 (ALF won the Bid and we are very happy with it.) I have done some checking and have found out that Pierce will indeed customize your apparatus, however it will cost you big time.

The picture of the "NEW PIERCE" looks alot like an ALF door. Things that make you wonder!
    Last edited by Chief1FF; 08-21-2006 at 11:54 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber BVFD1983's Avatar
    FTM - PTB

Forum Member

Come on now...ALF didn't invent that door Pierce did!!! As well as the rear mount rescue pumper, the Aluminum Ladder, independent front suspension, and all steer. "ALL GODS CHILDREN, COME TO THE PIERCE"

MembersZone Subscriber BVFD1983's Avatar

On ALF's, the whole bottom of the window is angled down, so is Ferrara's.

Did Oshkosh buy Ford? That door looks like a 04+ F150 and 99+ Super Duty.
    FTM - PTB

Forum Member

Post Pierce Door

I should say it looks more like an ALF door up to 2003, before they redesigned there doors.

Thread Information