Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 55 of 55
  1. #41
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    90

    Default FDNY Rescue Unveiling

    I'm betting you are going to see the 1st fdny rescue truck released in TX

    That door design is very popular in the over the road cabs like the Mack Highway series trucks.

    Mark
    Last edited by captain7; 08-24-2006 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Additional info


  2. #42
    Forum Member Engine305's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Sahuarita AZ, formerly of Hewitt NJ
    Posts
    293

    Default 2007 Pierce

    I just got back from the factory and there are a few new cabs there, but not for viewing.
    The FDNY Rescue 1 is going to get its body mounted next week and then on to finishing
    Great trip

  3. #43
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Broomfield, Colorado
    Posts
    2

    Default Pierce customization is not going away...

    Being a Pierce sales rep and a volunteer firefighter, I wanted to comment on some things I've seen here.

    First, Pierce's underlying business philosophy is to provide custom apparatus, so to go away from that would essentially be deciding that the most successful truck manufacturer in the USA with the most sales per year has been doing something wrong and needs to change the way they do things. I'm not privy to internal decisions, so I won't pretend to know what is going on, but doing away with customization is very unlikely. If you seperated Pierce in Appleton and our Contender plant in Florida, you would still be looking at the #1 and #3 seller of trucks. Pierce must be doing something right with their current business model.

    There may be some truth in the statement I read about the rep's being the hinderance to customization. It's your job to tell that rep to just do it - that's what you want. There is a big difference in work involved for a building a very customized truck vs. a not-so customized truck & very little difference in the income we receive in return. I personally don't operate that way and my personal philosophy is that in a way, I am providing a service to an industry that I love and respect. Yes I make money doing so, but if that was my only motivation, I feel I'd be doing myself and you guys a dis-service. If you think it can be done, push hard for it and we can most likely do it for you.

    As far as custom option cost, I think that purchasers of apparatus often underestimate the costs involved in creating custom options. Pierce employs over 200 engineers for a reason and their salaries are not cheap and the R&D required for these options is a large undertaking. If customization is too expensive, then you should probably be considering manufacturers that employ only a handful of engineers and offer very little customization. We will never be able to compete with their prices, nor do I suspect Pierce intends to try to the extent of lessoning what we are - high quality apparatus.

    We target departments that want the best truck designed to their needs. We don't (or should I say shouldn't) say "NO", unless it can't be done engineering-wise or it is not cost-effective to do so. There is a point where Pierce has to say no to custom requests that are specialized to the point of only being useable by the customer that designs it. It only makes business sense to say no to something that would cost more than it would it would return in profit. After all, we are in business to make money.

    Our trucks are more expensive for a reason & you get what you pay for. The main reason we are more expensive is that we put many options and designs into our trucks that are standard and not able to be removed to come down to pricing levels of some competitors offering lessor quality-built/designed trucks.

    We often have customers asking us to compete on price with the "budget" trucks of the world, but it will never happen. A good measure to this is to put out a Pierce spec and see where the competitors stand. We know that if we get a customer to put out a Pierce spec, there may not even be any other bids returned because they simply can't do it from an engineering standpoint, let alone the cost. Even the ones that do, can't match major issues in our spec. All fire trucks look the same from a 100 feet away. Get in there and check out the differences. Look at the frame (largest, sturdiest in the industry), look at how we build our bodies, look at how we design our custom chassis & finally, look at the integration of all the compenents. Get on a creeper and get under the truck. It shouldn't take you long to figure out the differences.

    Now, let's talk about the engineering capabilities that we have. Our parent company is Oshkosh. If you watch the news on the war, you see Oshkosh vehicles all over the screen - the HEMTT is all over Iraq and Afganistan in many different configuration. Everyone knows that civilian, particularly fire service technology filters down from the military. Much of what has been learned in Oshkosh's military contracts filter down to Pierce. To argue the benefits and quality of that support would be pointless. Pierce/Oshkosh supplies TFFT's and ARFF vehicles to the military and we have recently been awarded an initial limited run contract on tenders with the Army for testing (and yes, the M16 racks are cool). The military thinks our products are the best available for our boys overseas & that generally tells you something.

    As far as Dallas goes, everything you are hearing is rumor as Pierce isn't even telling it's dealer's what is going to happen. I will get my first glimpse of what is being unveiled Thursday evening at FRI at the launch event. With that said, I would bet the truth can be found somewhere in these rumors - smart people have a way of thinking what is going to happen. I will be happy to update this thread with what goes on at FRI for those of you who won't be present. Also, there will be a webcast on the Pierce website the evening of 9/14, covering the launch event. For those of you that will be there, invitations to the event may still be available to see it first hand.

    To wrap this up, I'm not here to say that there aren't other manufacturers that make quality products - there are & I call a spade a spade when I see it. There are other good trucks out there - I've ridden on them as a firefighter, but I appreciate that my department is primarily Pierce & I decline to volunteer for my local department because they buy everything low bid. I'm not saying it's their fault - the local government is probably responsible for that, but that doesn't mean I have to work for a department that doesn't put safety and quality for their men and women as priority, regardless of the reason. It seems ironic to me that in a business where we are required to provide the best service and safety to our citizens, departments are willing to endanger their firefighters by buying the lowest priced product that comes across the table & this isn't limited to just trucks.

    If you work for a department that doesn't buy on price, you know what the difference really is between low-priced trucks and high-end custom apparatus. If you work for a department that is low-bid, then I would think with that restraint you would find it hard to accept the differences and their value. If it's not an option for you, why would you bother to concentrate on those factors. With that said, budget is the reality for many departments & I wish I could get them into a Pierce, but I know that is unlikely to happen.

    I hope I've been of some benefit to you guys.

  4. #44
    Forum Member Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,645

    Default

    Thanks for the sales pitch.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  5. #45
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    48

    Default

    To FIREFLY9,

    I have to question your choice not to volunteer on your local volunteer department because they buy low bid. Doesn't say much for your character. If the manufacturer meets their spec's and is the low bid they should get the job.

    All manufacturers write spec's that are so tight that it scares others off. If you really want competition find a good performance spec and hold everyone to it. There are alot of good manufacturers out there. Make them work for you.

    Also, you can take your "my Pierce is worth $xxxx.xx amount of dollars more than everyone else's truck" attitude and park it.

  6. #46
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Broomfield, Colorado
    Posts
    2

    Default All I can say...

    ...is you get what you pay for & assaulting my character without knowing me clearly shows the quality of yours.

  7. #47
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Is Pierce webcasting the unveiling on the 14th? I heard they were and was wondering what time that would occur?

  8. #48
    Temporarily Inactive
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    39

    Default consider the source

    Quote Originally Posted by FIREFLY9
    Being a Pierce sales rep and a volunteer firefighter, I wanted to comment on some things I've seen here.

    First, Pierce's underlying business philosophy is to provide custom apparatus, so to go away from that would essentially be deciding that the most successful truck manufacturer in the USA with the most sales per year has been doing something wrong and needs to change the way they do things. I'm not privy to internal decisions, so I won't pretend to know what is going on, but doing away with customization is very unlikely. If you seperated Pierce in Appleton and our Contender plant in Florida, you would still be looking at the #1 and #3 seller of trucks. Pierce must be doing something right with their current business model.

    There may be some truth in the statement I read about the rep's being the hinderance to customization. It's your job to tell that rep to just do it - that's what you want. There is a big difference in work involved for a building a very customized truck vs. a not-so customized truck & very little difference in the income we receive in return. I personally don't operate that way and my personal philosophy is that in a way, I am providing a service to an industry that I love and respect. Yes I make money doing so, but if that was my only motivation, I feel I'd be doing myself and you guys a dis-service. If you think it can be done, push hard for it and we can most likely do it for you.

    As far as custom option cost, I think that purchasers of apparatus often underestimate the costs involved in creating custom options. Pierce employs over 200 engineers for a reason and their salaries are not cheap and the R&D required for these options is a large undertaking. If customization is too expensive, then you should probably be considering manufacturers that employ only a handful of engineers and offer very little customization. We will never be able to compete with their prices, nor do I suspect Pierce intends to try to the extent of lessoning what we are - high quality apparatus.

    We target departments that want the best truck designed to their needs. We don't (or should I say shouldn't) say "NO", unless it can't be done engineering-wise or it is not cost-effective to do so. There is a point where Pierce has to say no to custom requests that are specialized to the point of only being useable by the customer that designs it. It only makes business sense to say no to something that would cost more than it would it would return in profit. After all, we are in business to make money.

    Our trucks are more expensive for a reason & you get what you pay for. The main reason we are more expensive is that we put many options and designs into our trucks that are standard and not able to be removed to come down to pricing levels of some competitors offering lessor quality-built/designed trucks.

    We often have customers asking us to compete on price with the "budget" trucks of the world, but it will never happen. A good measure to this is to put out a Pierce spec and see where the competitors stand. We know that if we get a customer to put out a Pierce spec, there may not even be any other bids returned because they simply can't do it from an engineering standpoint, let alone the cost. Even the ones that do, can't match major issues in our spec. All fire trucks look the same from a 100 feet away. Get in there and check out the differences. Look at the frame (largest, sturdiest in the industry), look at how we build our bodies, look at how we design our custom chassis & finally, look at the integration of all the compenents. Get on a creeper and get under the truck. It shouldn't take you long to figure out the differences.

    Now, let's talk about the engineering capabilities that we have. Our parent company is Oshkosh. If you watch the news on the war, you see Oshkosh vehicles all over the screen - the HEMTT is all over Iraq and Afganistan in many different configuration. Everyone knows that civilian, particularly fire service technology filters down from the military. Much of what has been learned in Oshkosh's military contracts filter down to Pierce. To argue the benefits and quality of that support would be pointless. Pierce/Oshkosh supplies TFFT's and ARFF vehicles to the military and we have recently been awarded an initial limited run contract on tenders with the Army for testing (and yes, the M16 racks are cool). The military thinks our products are the best available for our boys overseas & that generally tells you something.

    As far as Dallas goes, everything you are hearing is rumor as Pierce isn't even telling it's dealer's what is going to happen. I will get my first glimpse of what is being unveiled Thursday evening at FRI at the launch event. With that said, I would bet the truth can be found somewhere in these rumors - smart people have a way of thinking what is going to happen. I will be happy to update this thread with what goes on at FRI for those of you who won't be present. Also, there will be a webcast on the Pierce website the evening of 9/14, covering the launch event. For those of you that will be there, invitations to the event may still be available to see it first hand.

    To wrap this up, I'm not here to say that there aren't other manufacturers that make quality products - there are & I call a spade a spade when I see it. There are other good trucks out there - I've ridden on them as a firefighter, but I appreciate that my department is primarily Pierce & I decline to volunteer for my local department because they buy everything low bid. I'm not saying it's their fault - the local government is probably responsible for that, but that doesn't mean I have to work for a department that doesn't put safety and quality for their men and women as priority, regardless of the reason. It seems ironic to me that in a business where we are required to provide the best service and safety to our citizens, departments are willing to endanger their firefighters by buying the lowest priced product that comes across the table & this isn't limited to just trucks.

    If you work for a department that doesn't buy on price, you know what the difference really is between low-priced trucks and high-end custom apparatus. If you work for a department that is low-bid, then I would think with that restraint you would find it hard to accept the differences and their value. If it's not an option for you, why would you bother to concentrate on those factors. With that said, budget is the reality for many departments & I wish I could get them into a Pierce, but I know that is unlikely to happen.

    I hope I've been of some benefit to you guys.

    I thoroughly enjoyed your explanations. As for those who feel otherwise , well, they are excercising their right to disagree. Do not allow yourself to be provoked. You have a quality product and with it will always be jealousy and envy.

  9. #49
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Outside Philadelphia
    Posts
    519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EngineCo2
    Is Pierce webcasting the unveiling on the 14th? I heard they were and was wondering what time that would occur?
    I read it somewhere,although I forget where, but the answer is yes, and on thier website. The time though, I have no clue!!

  10. #50
    FH Mag/.com Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    7,288

    Default

    Firehouse.com just sent an email about it, 6:30pm CST web cast.

  11. #51
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    51

    Default

    is there a special url for the webcast, or just on the Pierce site in general?

  12. #52
    FH Mag/.com Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    7,288

    Default

    Should be a link off of their web site, I'll be on the road to Dallas myself at that time so didn't read it that closely.

  13. #53
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    104

    Default

    The link for the webcast has now been posted on the Pierce site, its in the middle of the main page.

    http://www.piercemfg.com/

    Todd

  14. #54
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captain7
    I'm betting you are going to see the 1st fdny rescue truck released in TX

    That door design is very popular in the over the road cabs like the Mack Highway series trucks.

    Mark
    I didn't look very close but I didn't see it. I think it would have stood out. It looks like Pierce will be centering their show around the new chassis. They are blowing a lot of dough just to release this chassis. It is easy to see why their trucks are so high priced because the amount of money they spend on marketing is astronomical.

  15. #55
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1

    Default Pierce makes fine equipment...

    Firefly,

    As far as your "declining to volunteer for a department" who cannot afford the most expensive apparatus, I think that says more about you than anything else you said.
    Think about how that comment was received and interpreted.

    Firedog11

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Why Pierce is the Best Choice
    By Firefighter807 in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 270
    Last Post: 10-04-2007, 06:38 PM
  2. Pierce VS Elite
    By bdaenterprises in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-25-2006, 03:54 PM
  3. Pierce Failure
    By ff43065 in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-07-2005, 02:50 PM
  4. Pierce Ė The Innovator of the Fire Apparatus Industry
    By BlitzfireSolo in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 06-12-2004, 02:54 PM
  5. Just Curious
    By firechiefkev in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-24-2002, 11:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts