Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Methods For Accessing Engine Compartments

Just want to hear some ideas how all of you would go about accessing an engine compartment, and the types of tools you would go about doing it. Assume the vehicle is upright with minimal damage to the hood. No folding, crimping, etc.

Thanks everyone.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cable release tool by Howell

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by firedog7
    Cable release tool by Howell
    Or something similar. We have a nifty little crash kit with a cable release tool, and some other toys.

Also of course, the old Haligan will do it the slow and dirty way. Ours has the metal cutting tip to section out the hood or fender to access the cable or release mech.

Assuming fire/leak is not the immediate issue, you can cut a section out of the hood above and behind the release mech to pop it with a screwdriver or small pry bar.

And finally, SCBA bottle supplied, air driven tools. I will be ordering some of the new Dewalt 36V cordless tools by winter too. With the help of the haligan, you can pry up the corners of the hood to expose the hinge mounts, and sawzall them through to reverse fold the hood.

Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

one more option is use the k-12 to cut the hood latch from the front. quick easy and painless.

MembersZone Subscriber

When we first approach the car, the person with the halligan drives the pick into the corner of the hood in the front and pries it back so the nozzle can be placed and knock down the fire. If the cable is reachable there we will yank it, if not we flow some water to cool down the shock absorbers on the bumper and pull the front grill to get to the cable. If one of us doesn't have our own tool, we use the fork end of the halligan to twist and pop it open.

There are commerical cable release tools but you can make one of your own cheaply by going to the hardware store. Several of us made our own by buying small 3/4 pipe. You need 1 tee, and however long you want the straight piece of pipe to be, I made mine 6 inches, others did 4 and carry it in their pockets. We took a sawzall and made a V notch in the end to catch the cable. I prefer the 6", it gives me a little more reach and I see some of the guys with the 4" they made in their pockets and its just as easy when we made a few more and put them in the engines.

If the cable doesn't work then we try to weaken the hood around the latch, eventually it will open. The latch in our experiences rarely fails and I think I"ve read that they are a 500 lbs test latch, so the connecters often fail before the latch ever will.

Quote Originally Posted by ALSfirefighter
    When we first approach the car, the person with the halligan drives the pick into the corner of the hood in the front and pries it back so the nozzle can be placed and knock down the fire.
    A tried and true trick that I have used countless times! It is very effective for a quick knock down.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Quote Originally Posted by ALSfirefighter
    When we first approach the car, the person with the halligan drives the pick into the corner of the hood in the front and pries it back so the nozzle can be placed and knock down the fire. If the cable is reachable there we will yank it, if not we flow some water to cool down the shock absorbers on the bumper and pull the front grill to get to the cable. If one of us doesn't have our own tool, we use the fork end of the halligan to twist and pop it open.

There are commerical cable release tools but you can make one of your own cheaply by going to the hardware store. Several of us made our own by buying small 3/4 pipe. You need 1 tee, and however long you want the straight piece of pipe to be, I made mine 6 inches, others did 4 and carry it in their pockets. We took a sawzall and made a V notch in the end to catch the cable. I prefer the 6", it gives me a little more reach and I see some of the guys with the 4" they made in their pockets and its just as easy when we made a few more and put them in the engines.

If the cable doesn't work then we try to weaken the hood around the latch, eventually it will open. The latch in our experiences rarely fails and I think I"ve read that they are a 500 lbs test latch, so the connecters often fail before the latch ever will.

That halligan idea sounds pretty cool, I'm gonna have to try that one. We have commercial hood tools in a crash kit on our rescue engine and a loose one on our other Engine. When, I've fought car fires (in training) we just used the old fashioned beat the hell out of the hood with the halligan trick.

Also have popped a trunk using the halligan. Popped out the lock, but still didnt work. Tried to pry the sucker open, didnt work. Finally just got another guy and we ended up busting the welds and peeling the sheet metal back.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

"Upright,with minimal hood damage".Reach in the window and pull the hood release.Effective tools for opening hoods: Halligan,pick head axe,K-12,Sawsall,Portopower,HRTs,Air bag,Towtruck,just to name a few.What are you trying to accomplish? Fire under the hood? Battery disconnect?Better make sure it's under the hood.Different problems will dictate different tactics.A halligan tops my list,so many different tasks with one tool. T.C.

Forum Member

A halligan tops my list,so many different tasks with one tool. T.C.

Try this it works great, push the ads end of the halligan bar in between the hood and fender,(about midway of the hood) on the drivers side, pry the hood up enough to get your hand in and grab the hood cable. there is plenty of slack to pull it out to you hook it over the bar like a handle and give it a jerk. the mounting end of the cable is plastic it will break and the inter cable will open the latch.
    http://www.midsouthrescue.org
    Is it time to change our training yet ?

And why do you think the Halligan is on the top of the list?See above,Hehe.Grabbing hood release cables with a Halligan is pretty painless.You can also get 'em thru the grille. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101
    And why do you think the Halligan is on the top of the list?See above,Hehe.Grabbing hood release cables with a Halligan is pretty painless.You can also get 'em thru the grille. T.C.
    T.C. I like the side method because in a fire scenario no one is in front of the bumper if it was to blow.

Halligan Bar: number one tool in the fire service, don't leave home without it.
    Last edited by LeeJunkins; 09-18-2006 at 10:54 AM.
    http://www.midsouthrescue.org
    Is it time to change our training yet ?

OK fussbudget,No fire mentioned in the thread.No arguement on the bumpers either,just another option for the "box".Wouldn't you like the handiest dandiest tool ever invented and don't cha wanna see how it works?Hehe,"sledgeomatic",T.C.

Thread Information