Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: AF Burnout

MembersZone Subscriber

Question AF Burnout

Hey fellas,

I'm new to this site, but I've been an Air Force Firefighter for 4 years now. I'm on my second base, done the TDY thing a few times, and now I'm kind of burned out on the Air Force. No hard feelings, I just think I'm more Firefighter than Airman. Right now I'm stationed in Anchorage, Ak. I have two years left here so I might as well get comfortable. I'm trying to focus on certifications to get a civilian job (DOD or city). I have EMT-B, HAZMAT IC, and working on my ones. I was wondering if it is more important to focus on finishing my associates in fire science or should I be working on other things to make myself more marketable. Looking forward to some advice.

In my opinion, you should work on your degree. L.F. Garland took care of most of it. With four years in AF, you should be able to count some of your PME for your management part of the degree. You should only need a few basic courses (math, humanities, social science, and written and oral communication) to finish it up.

Your ones will definitely be a plus.

Like I said, this is just my opinion.......good luck

p.s. I burnt out myself many years ago. It was just in the last several years that I started to think about retirement. So I enlisted in the AF Reserves. Now I have a total of 15 years in.
    Last edited by THEFIRENUT; 08-18-2006 at 04:08 AM.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Welcome aboard from a fellow n00b.

First of all, as a fellow AF member (a little more than 7 years now), I can understand the reasons why people don't want to stay in. It can burn you out very easily. For myself, I just knew I wanted to do this all my life and that's what keeps me in, but that same reason doesn't work for everyone. The bottom line though is you did your 4 (or six as it sounds like you're on a six year enlistment) years faithfully and that's what matters.

One thing I would say is this...before you get out, make sure that you get your CCAF finished. It may only be an associates, but when it comes down to it, its better than having no degree and is also a great jumping off point for further education.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Cheers,
    -Tom Warshaw

MembersZone Subscriber

I was a USAF firefighter for 5 years 10 months. Sheppard AFB and Iraklion AS. I am now a Los Angeles County Firefighter/Paramedic. I have been on this job 12 years. If you burn out it's your fault. You simply need to change your attitude to do this job.Even a busy municipal department has it's tedium,routine busy work. Same daily chores,same training ,same calls,same daily check outs,same station chores. I say Get your degree and focus on being a good servent. There really isn't a good excuse for burn out. As a drill instructo once told me...."lots of reasons but no excuses"

Forum Member

I understand the "more firefighter than airman" thing. I spent 4 years active AF, got out and when right back to DOD being a civilian. Same job, less BS like deployments, military collateral duties, ... My active duty time was very good for me and to me, enabling me to get pretty darn far in my civilian career. If you are looking at going DOD, the 1's are more important than the degree. But, get the degree also! Winter is coming up and I can't think of anything better to do when it is butt-cold in AK than to finish up whatever courses you need for your CCAF degree. Try to CLEP anything you can to lighten your load as well. It'll all help no matter what you decide in the future.

Forum Member

Smile

Burnout is a state of mind and as one of the others stated, if you become burned out, it's your own fault. It sounds as if you are more bored than cooked.

Get your degree and use that as a starting point. Unlike myself, I got my start in 1988 with a paid on call department, recieved much of my training and school through that department and my 2nd department. nearly 18 years later, I am now working towards my degree in fire science and emergency management with my current experience and schooling. If I could go back in time, I would have jumped right into my degree work upon completion of FF I and II.

Good luck, don't freeze to death and find something to break up the boredom!

Thread Information