MembersZone Subscriber

Default Probie Question:

Hello All:
    I have a question I need answered. I looked all over my IFSTA in the ladder chapter and one question remains. At what temperature does a heat indicator on a ladder turn black? I'm not sure if different ladders have different temps but Riverside City Fire uses DUO-SAFETY ladders. Thanks!!

Chris
    Explorer

Forum Member

Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Talking Query

When did "Heat indicators" come into being? Genuine puzzlement from an "Old Timer"

Does the UK have it/them?

As a Aerial Ladder operator in L.F.B(in the 1960's) we had a very primitive heat indicator-it was the Junior Buck(or in your case-probe)hooked on at the top of the the Turntable Ladders. Trained away from fire-extended to working height-trained in to let him direct monitor onto flames, depending on his anxiety level/screams and or choking from smoke would indicate.

'A' Not nice-please train left or right
    "B" You barsteward!Its getting bleedin' hot up here
    "C" My 'effin boots are alight-get me out of here
    "D' Unhooks and throws himself off ladder--100ft up! Indicator has "indicated" that it is a trifle intemperate in his locality
    Last edited by 2andfrom; 08-12-2006 at 11:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2andfrom
    When did "Heat indicators" come into being? Genuine puzzlement from an "Old Timer"

Does the UK have it/them?

As a Aerial Ladder operator in L.F.B(in the 1960's) we had a very primitive heat indicator-it was the Junior Buck(or in your case-probe)hooked on at the top of the the Turntable Ladders. Trained away from fire-extended to working height-trained in to let him direct monitor onto flames, depending on his anxiety level/screams and or choking from smoke would indicate.

'A' Not nice-please train left or right
    "B" You barsteward!Its getting bleedin' hot up here
    "C" My 'effin boots are alight-get me out of here
    "D' Unhooks and throws himself off ladder--100ft up! Indicator has "indicated" that it is a trifle intemperate in his locality
    ROTFLMAO Man, that's just friggen hilarious!

Forum Member

Ditto jlcooke. That is awesome.

We were at a convention today and everyone (including people from other departments were giving my brother grief as he is the probie) well, as it turns out, he also happens to be my brother........and I just happen to be the captain.......which in turn, is the highest rank in our explorer post. People were like, "Damn son, I'd hate to be in your shoes"
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer
    Ditto jlcooke. That is awesome.

We were at a convention today and everyone (including people from other departments were giving my brother grief as he is the probie) well, as it turns out, he also happens to be my brother........and I just happen to be the captain.......which in turn, is the highest rank in our explorer post. People were like, "Damn son, I'd hate to be in your shoes"
    Can't say as I've ever even heard of temperature indicators on a ladder. Is this for a ground ladder or an aerial?
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Talking Straight from the horse's mouth

Well, actually from the Duo-Safety website. This was a good post though since it seems that many of us (myself included) did not know the actual temperature that would change the indicator. Our E-One telesquirt has indicators at the end of the boom.

Here's the info you were looking for:

HEAT SENSOR LABELS:

These are visual warning labels furnished on all aluminum and fiberglass ladders since January, 1984.

These labels are heat sensitive material that turn black if any heat is ever present that is greater than approximately 300 degrees F. The 300 degree F temperature is used because once aluminum fire ladder materials (6061-T6 alloy) reach this 300 degree F (even if only for a moment), the ladder material may have lost at least 25% of it's load capacity. This heat exposure effect is not reversible in the ladder and can continue to accumulate over it's entire life.

NOTE: If any heat sensor label becomes black - remove the ladder from service at once and have the ladder load tested before the ladder is ever used again. If the ladder passes the load test - you have had a false alarm - replace the heat sensors and return the ladder to service. Replacement heat sensor labels are only available for ladders that have passed the load test. If the ladder does not pass the test, we will not supply you with new labels. Call the factory for details.

REMEMBER: Heat sensor labels that look OK do not make the ladder safe to use.

N.F.P.A. now requires 4 heat sensors and one instruction label per ladder section. Each heat sensor has an expiration date printed on them. Any expired labels must be replaced. Place 2 heat sensor labels below the 2nd rung from the top of each section (1 on the right rail - 1 on the left side) inside the rail. Place the other 2 heat sensor labels (one with instruction label) below the middle of the section inside the rail. (1 on the right rail - 1 on the left side)
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

This on all ladders? Huh. I'll have to look at the ladders tomorrow night when I'm at the station. Never new that.
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jlcooke3
    ROTFLMAO Man, that's just friggen hilarious!
    The funny part is he's probably not kidding
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

MembersZone Subscriber

NYSmokey:
    Thanks alot for the information. I never thought about looking in to the manufacturer's site but now I know. In our post, we have to know equipment on the engine like the back of our hand so that is why I needed to know. I have to know that the rungs on a 14' roof ladder are 14" part. I have to know all the parts (ie: truss blocks, beams, rails, rungs, spurs, roof hooks, etc...) It almost seems like we're junior probies. Anyways thanks to everyone who threw some info in. THANKS!

Chris
    Explorer

Forum Member

Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Default Cby 1

If I can manage to send it-this a photo of "my" beastie--a 1937 Metz-Magirus 100ft Turntable Ladder, saw service during the London Blitz
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

I wasn't aware of the exact temperature either. Thanks for the information.

Forum Member

Deleted response.

Forum Member

hey, bro good luck with that, rember this is only for period of time...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by needlejockey
    This on all ladders? Huh. I'll have to look at the ladders tomorrow night when I'm at the station. Never new that.
    The Edition V of the Essentials book says they do and my old department had them on the groundladders,all in acceptable condition,of course. ;D
    It serves to indicate during inspection that the ladder needs to be taken off the rig,placed out of service and tested and/or replaced.
    Seeing as how steel melts at 1100 degrees F and aluminum(aluminium,to our friends across the pond)at even lower temps,this is a good idea.

Thread Information