MembersZone Subscriber

Default Commercializing 9/11's Fifth Anniversary

I don't know. Maybe I'm getting too sensitive in my old age, but it seems to me that there are alot of "commemorative" this and thats FOR SALE to "honor" the fifth anniversary of 9/11.
    And is "anniversary" even the appropriate descriptor of 9/11/2001?
    Example: there is a coin being sold for $30. 9/11 "charities" get 5 bucks of it.
    Now, I know some will say that it's better than nothing.
    I say, the entrepreneur should keep 5 bucks and give $25 to the charities.
    I don't think that there should be profiteering on the backs of those who gave all on that day.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

$$$$$$$$ off my dead friends.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by E40FDNYL35
    $$$$$$$$ off my dead friends.
    Sad to say. The business of America is business.

Even if it means the profits are being derived from E40's dead friends.

Pathetic. I won't be buying any commemorative items.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Pretty sad too.

If you want to give the $5 to a charity, you'd be better off writing a check to them directly and at least you know it got there and to whom it went.

I am an untrusting soul, so I wouldn't buy anything with that tagline.

And why do you think that all of these WTC movies adn specials are coming out now. Going to be pretty nauseating having to watch these things 24/7. I am all for remembering, but at some point it becomes too much, and the quality goes downhill as well.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Pathetic. I won't be buying any commemorative items.
    Nor will I...however, I'd wager to say that the number one group purchasing such items by the thousands would be members of the firefighting community itself.

Forum Member

I won't see the movies or buy anything of that such. The only "commemorative" items I buy of tragedies such as the deaths of our brothers are the t-shirts the guys from their houses sell to benefit the families.
    9/11/01 D.C. Joseph "Uncle Joe" Marchbanks
    Battalion 12
    Heaven In Harlem

Tim
    CFD #143

Forum Member

The only commemorative shirts or anything I own for Sept 11 is a picture of the WTC captioned"We Shall Overcome" and one of the cross found at Ground Zero with the Firefighter's Prayer on the back.
    Other than that,I won't be buying any commercial commemoratives.I know they'd want to make money but I lean with the guy that says they should give $25 to the widows and orphans and $5 for operating expenses.If they really wanted to do good,couldn't they do with less to give more?

MembersZone Subscriber

I think that if you were there you have more then enough memories. it is sad to make a profit off brothers.
    J

Forum Member

All about the money my friends. It is truely sad it came to that.

The only things in my home that are 9/11 related is the statue from Red Hats of Courage and the memorial us flag with the names on it.
    Lieutenant/EMT-B

VSFFA Member

"I'm a CCEMT-B."

"Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off."

"A lack of effort will always lead to failure."

IACOJ BOD

At the appropriate time on the appropriate day, I will stand straight, look to the horizon, and say my peace to the memories of the many Warriors.

Apart from that,no MUTT gets a penny. I don't need a "look at me toy" to feel the pain inside.

Kia Kaha, Ake Ake, Kia Kaha tuäkana.

Be Strong, for Ever and Ever, Be Strong Brothers.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Making money off of this would be wrong!!!!!
    I agree with taking a ride down to the station of your choice drop off your donations and tell the guys in the house to make sure it finds it's way to a family member..... Maybe a daughter needs a prom dress .... maybe a son wants to rent a limo to take his date to the prom.... maybe a kid needs a new set of tires or a kid going to college needs something for his or her dorm...

These types of things would be hard to justify to some board of directors over seeing a fund. But the kids would still need things that dad would help with if he were around!!!! I'm for circumventing the red tape and getting $$$ to the grass roots.

I'm suprised the Red Cross isn't doing another big fund raiser on the backs of the brothers

Forum Member

I don't know about you guys, but I tell my family and friends to please not purchase these items as gifts for me, too. I have a couple of shirts given to me by well-meaning family members, but I never wear them. You can if you like, but I can't shake the sense of cheapness that seems to be attributed to something by making a t-shirt for it. I also feel weird about so much honor being attributed to some LODD's, while many others across the nation are never given this sort of attention. I understand the impact of what happened at the World Trade Center, but I feel all true line-of-duty deaths are just as important as any one firefighter that fell on 9/11/01, regardless of where or when they happen. It is entirely possible to honor the fallen appropriately without making a buck, in my opinion.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman
    I don't know about you guys, but I tell my family and friends to please not purchase these items as gifts for me, too. I have a couple of shirts given to me by well-meaning family members, but I never wear them. You can if you like, but I can't shake the sense of cheapness that seems to be attributed to something by making a t-shirt for it. I also feel weird about so much honor being attributed to some LODD's, while many others across the nation are never given this sort of attention. I understand the impact of what happened at the World Trade Center, but I feel all true line-of-duty deaths are just as important as any one firefighter that fell on 9/11/01, regardless of where or when they happen. It is entirely possible to honor the fallen appropriately without making a buck, in my opinion.
    Lodd shirts, atleast around here, are created to help the family, usually. Any profits will go to the family, or to set up a scholarship fund for a kid who just lost his father. I for one think its a shame that more Depts and communities dont take the initiative and honor the family of the fallen.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Exclamation

9-11 cookies!

I've seen the TV commercial for the Twin Towers silver commemorative coins. $25/$5 is no bargain. I wonder who in the hell gave them the rights to the silver from the WTC!!!

From the National Collector's Mint, edited, of course:

"The World Trade Center skyline is lavishly clad in gleaming silver miraculously recovered from a bank vault found under tons of debris [and bodies] at Ground Zero. To mark the fifth anniversary, $5 [ ] of every 2001-2006 World Trade Center Commemorative order is donated to official 9/11 family charities and memorials. The stunning design of this magnificent September 11th memorial is a 15 mg. of 24 KT gold and 15 mg. of .999 Pure silver clad tribute to all who were lost on that fateful day."

The original text is on their Web page:

Nat'l Collectors mint

I guess if I ever go to a crash scene involving a Wells Fargo armored car that flips off of a bridge and spills valuables and cash all over a ravine, I can say "Finders Keepers!" and make off with the goods.

As for the movies, I guess I can't say no to one and yes to the other. I said earlier that I would see World Trade Center, now I have decided I'll let it pass (and keep with tradition, since I haven't been to the theaters since . . . ).

Now we know how the War vets must have felt.
    "Yeah, but as I've always said, this country has A.D.D." - Denis Leary

http://www.lettertogop.com/

Forum Member

It absolutly disgusts me to think that a bunch of people every year sit around a table and try to figure out another way to make money from another persons loss......

The only shirts or items I have ever purchased have been directly from the fire house of one of our fallen brothers, at least then i know the money is being directed straigth to the families......

At the end of the day people who try to gain profit off something that caused so much pain and suffering to so many are just 3 words .....

BLOOD SUCKING PARASITES !
    Dublin Fire Brigade

*The Fire-Fighting Irish*

If u cant use it, eat it or drink it............SMASH IT !

And always remember to duck !!!!!

Fir Na Tine

The only place I'll purchase anything from is from the NY Firestore since they do donate quite a bit of money to various organizations to include the UFA Widows & Children's Fund.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JonnytheTurk
    The only shirts or items I have ever purchased have been directly from the fire house of one of our fallen brothers, at least then i know the money is being directed straigth to the families......
    Amen to that. Exactly my point. It is the only time you know for sure that the money will be delivered to those it is intended for.
    9/11/01 D.C. Joseph "Uncle Joe" Marchbanks
    Battalion 12
    Heaven In Harlem

Tim
    CFD #143

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Making a mint off 9/11 -- The hucksters who two years ago tried to peddle the fraudulent Freedom Tower Silver Dollar are back with an even more offensive scheme for trading on the memory of 9/11 for money.
    They go by the name of the National Collector's Mint of Port Chester, N.Y., and they're marketing a monstrosity called the 2001-2006 World Trade Center Commemorative over the Web and on late-night cable TV. You've got to see it to believe it. The thingamajig consists of a gold-colored coin with a silver-colored inlay in the shape of the twin towers, "gleaming ... much as they shimmered in the sunlight that fateful September morning." Stand the inlay up, and you have your own World Trade Center! Made of "15 mg. of 24-kt gold and 15 mg. of .999 pure silver" - the silver "miraculously recovered from a bank vault found under tons of debris at Ground Zero" - the medallion sells for $29.95. Of that, the mint promises to donate $5 to "official 9/11 family charities and memorials." The company can easily afford to be so cynically charitable. The Journal News newspaper had the precious metals analyzed and discovered they were worth about 32 cents. Last time, in 2004, the National Collector's Mint advertised its Freedom Tower medallion as legal tender from the Northern Mariana Islands. Turned out that the Marianas don't mint currency, they use U.S. greenbacks. And the supposedly pure silver in the coin - the same miraculously recovered silver - was hair-thin and worth about 1.4 cents. State Attorney General Eliot Spitzer's office sued, and a judge fined the company $370,000. Spitzer's investigation was unable to confirm whence the silver came. As for the charities referred to in the mint's new ads, a press statement identifies them as Tuesday's Children, the World Trade Center United Family Group, the World Trade Center Memorial Foundation and the Families of Flight 93 National Memorial, worthy causes all. Two of them, Tuesday's Children and the WTC family group, said yesterday that the mint had recently sent donations. They wrestled with what to do with money from such a distasteful source. Our advice for people who find themselves attracted by the ads for this cheesy, near-worthless trinket: Turn away and send $5 directly to one of the charities. You'll do good and save money, too.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Sr. Information Officer

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason
    ....is "anniversary" even the appropriate descriptor of 9/11/2001?
    We need to find a new word Chief....and have it added to the Webster's.

Suggestions?

Memoversary? Eventersary? Tragicersary?
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NJFFSA16
    We need to find a new word Chief....and have it added to the Webster's.

Suggestions?

Memoversary? Eventersary? Tragicersary?
    Well, at the rate it's going, how about

Exploitersary

Profitersary

Desecratesary

Make-a-bucksary

(Incidentally, Merriam-Webster reports the etymology of "anniversary" as "Middle English anniversarie, from Medieval Latin anniversarium, from Latin, neuter of anniversarius returning annually, from annus year + versus, past participle of vertere to turn")

Since 9/11, I have wondered how long a jaded, heartless, misled American public could set aside its conspiracy theories and penchant for self-blame and understand that nothing we have done justifies what has been done to us.

The answer: Five years.
    “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    Well, at the rate it's going, how about

Exploitersary

Profitersary

Desecratesary

Make-a-bucksary

(Incidentally, Merriam-Webster reports the etymology of "anniversary" as "Middle English anniversarie, from Medieval Latin anniversarium, from Latin, neuter of anniversarius returning annually, from annus year + versus, past participle of vertere to turn")

Since 9/11, I have wondered how long a jaded, heartless, misled American public could set aside its conspiracy theories and penchant for self-blame and understand that nothing we have done justifies what has been done to us.

The answer: Five years.

How about if we derive something else from the Latin version and call it an anusversary, because it brings out all the anuses......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Aw, cut to the chase.

Assiversary!
    “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

As much as I am disgusted at the people profitting from this XXXX-sary I am glad to see that there are people trying to keep the memory alive, the commercials for the new WTC memorial are pretty decent. It bugs the hell outta me that 10 years from now nobody is going to remember it. I am sure that if you ask a war veteran they would say the same thing about the wars they served in. I am still very bothered by the tragedy even 5 years after and I was not directly affected. Its a lose lose situation, you have movies out and basically they profit off of a terrible event where many inocent and a few terrorist lives ended.

Sr. Information Officer

Default And this related story

NY City may sue former cop over 9/11 photo book

NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York City wants the
    profits from a new book of photographs of the Sept 11 attacks
    to go to charity and may sue the former city police officer who
    took them, a city official said Tuesday.
    New York City law department counsel Gerald Singleton said
    the city was considering a lawsuit against John Botte whose
    book "Aftermath" was published Tuesday by ReganBooks, an
    imprint of HarperCollins. The rights to the photographs belong
    to the city, and Botte did not seek permission to publish the
    book, Singleton said.
    "He was taking pictures while on duty, at the direction of
    the department and while he was in the employ of the city,"
    Singleton told Reuters.
    Singleton said he has agreed to give attorneys for
    ReganBooks several weeks to respond to the city's concerns
    before he files the suit in September.
    "The City is not trying to stop publication of the book,"
    Singleton said. "The City is just interested in seeing that
    Botte does not profit personally from the publication of this
    book."
    The book will have a first print run of 30,000 copies,
    ReganBooks spokesman Greg Sullivan said. He declined to comment
    on the city's case and Botte did not immediately respond to
    requests for comment put to him through the publisher.
    Profits from another book of photographs taken by police
    officers, "Above Hallowed Ground," were donated to the New York
    City Police Foundation and the City wanted the same arrangement
    for Botte's book, Singleton said.
    Singleton said Botte had taken all the pictures "using
    privileged access he received in his capacity as a member of
    the NYPD, and while being paid by the City."
    HarperCollins is a division of News Corp..
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Thread Information