MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation What do you do with your SCBA mask when your not using it?

How do you store your SCBA mask when your not using it. On my dept a lot of the firefighters put their mask in a pouch on their turnout coat, but some of the coats dont have the pouch to put your mask in. I tried using a seperate mask bag and I grabbed it when I would grab my helmet and my coat but that was a pain to carry around on a call. Right now I have my mask clipped to my gear with a carabiner the only problem with that is that my mask is just hangging off of my coat and it gets in my way a lot, it would also be easier to get damaged. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

MembersZone Subscriber

we get issued a bag to put our mask and other mask stuff in. its just a simple bag that has some kind of liner that doesnt scratch the mask itself. it gets put on the truck when we start a shift and comes off at the end of a shift just like the rest of our gear.
    Your a daisy if you do.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Same here. I have a bag that I throw the mask in and I just keep it in the truck. When I get a call requiring turnouts but no SCBA I dont bring it with me everywhere I go. Also, if you dont want to worry about losing it, just use the clip/carabiner you got with it and I clip it onto the SCBA waist strap. But, dont forget to take it off when you get on scene otherwise if you go interior, someone might mistake it for your drop bag. Clipping it to the SCBA is what alot of people do in my department.

Truckie

Our sail shop sewed clips; 1 in the mask, 1 on the chest strap. (These are short enough to keep it close and not be an entanglement problem when not used) That is where my mask is cliped whenn not in use. I also fold over the head netting to try to protect the they face piece.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Leave it in the bag on the truck for someone else to use. (its not my personal mask)
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our guys just have clips on the SCBA straps to hold the mask. We have protective bags for the masks in the trucks, but they are no help on scene.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

We are all issued a storage bag to keep the mask in...When it's in the locker.

When we come on duty, the mask is removed from the bag and connected to the SCBA (we have all seat mounted SCBAs) and is ready to use.

While wearing the pack, but not on air, the mask webbing is clipped to the harness strap via a factory installed clip on the harness strap. There is no special pouch or bag that we use to keep the mask in when wearing an SCBA.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Here, every firefighter is issued a mask bag that hangs with their gear on the rack. I believe that ours have straps so that they can be hung around the neck when not in use on scene.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

I keep myne in a mask bag on the engine. I take it out when I might need it and put it around my neck. When I'm done with the call it goes back in the bag.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell
    Our guys just have clips on the SCBA straps to hold the mask. We have protective bags for the masks in the trucks, but they are no help on scene.
    That's how we do it.

Forum Member

I have the protective bag draw strung around the mask, but the mask itself is attached to a carabiner on my turnout gear. That way I can quickly ditch the bag in the cab if it looks like we might need to mask up in a few minutes.....

Forum Member

I wear mine all the time. I'm wearing it right now. I have a little battery powered fan that I use to blow cool air in to make me more comfortable.

Forum Member

When riding, it is hooked to the pack that I am using, when not it is stored in its protective bag.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

It's all about personal preference. For me, I like to clip the mask bag on the shoulder strap on the regulator side of my SCBA. This way, if it's a call where SCBA is needed, I'll always have my mask. Something I learned from my crew officer was if you need to mask up, after you click in, leave your mask bag at the door, so it's not hanging off your pack.

Forum Member

If I am not using my mask and won't need it very fast (I.E. a roof operation or climbing an aerial ladder) I will pin the hose of the mask in my waist straps and pull it back towards my back. This will keep it from swinging back and forth as you climb a ladder or operate.

If I am stretching a line or operating on a roof where it might be needed, I will let it hang or throw it over my shoulder so it is out of the way. If I need it, it will be fast. Even if it is pinned under your waist belt, if you practice you can get it on within a few seconds.
    Good Luck, Stay Low & Stay Safe

Nate DeMarse
    Co-Owner, Brotherhood Instructors, LLC.
    http://brotherhoodinstructors.com
    Facebook Users: Join us here
    -------------------------------
    GET IN THE JOB, BE A STUDENT OF THE JOB!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default You could try a tool bag....

I use a 12" Craftsman tool bag. Underneath the mask, I keep a pair of extrication gloves and some safety glasses for MVAs. I put the bag at my seat at the beginning of the shift. I can grab the gloves and glasses on the way to an MVA without having to carry them in my gear all the time, and I have the mask right on top for quick access on a fire response.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SFDredhat126; 09-05-2006 at 05:40 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

2nd pic, showing the contents. I've resisted temptation to add more stuff. I don't want to dig around in it if I need something in a hurry. If we go somewhere without gearing up (grocery run, inspection, etc.) I clip that carabiner (it's on the tool bag handle) on my helmet loop and drape it between my bunker boots. It makes it easier to carry the gear around.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SFDredhat126; 09-05-2006 at 05:45 PM.

Forum Member

Quick question: My company does not issue personal masks and I was wondering if their was an NFPA or OSHA law pertaining to this?

My personal belief is that a invdidually issued mask will result in better seals, but even more importantly, an upgrade in basic hygiene (We all know people sweat, vomit, and bleed into these things).

Thread Information