Thread: What Next??

Forum Member

Default What Next??

Hey, just introducing myself. Im Ben, im 22 from temperance MI. I just passed all my tests including the agility test for my local fire department (phew was that tuff). They are hurting for people right now so i assume they are going to take anyone who passes the agility test. Out of about 15, only 5 did including me.

So my Question is, Whats next? Im pretty sure my EMT training starts next month, but i havent got the specifics yet. I heard through the grapevine that i would get a call and get fitted for equipment?? Does that sound right?? Im just curious on what happens once you get hired. Any help would be appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

When I got hired for my department, the testing went in this order. Written, Physical Agility, Interview board, Fitness for duty assesment/Chief interview, Medical/Drug test. Do you already have your FF I, or does your department provide the testing for that within you first year. Once I was on, I was given equipment to use and was fitted later for a custom fit set. Hope this helped.

Forum Member

no i havent had any training yet of any kind. I think you have two years to complete EMT basic and FF I, from what i hear.

My testing was a bit different. We had the interview, Physical/Drug test, Written then agility. Im just somewhat in the dark about how things start out, im hoping to get a call later on today from the dept and shed some light on whats next.
    Im just excited and want to get started.

MembersZone Subscriber

You will be going to a fire academy some ware in your county (or at your department) to get your Michigan Firefighter 1&2 and Hazmat ops. Takes about 4-6 months then you will most likely go for MFR or EMT.

Hope that helps

When in doubt ask someone on the department I am sure they will help you out with info.
    Smoke Detectors Save Lives!!!!

Forum Member

what is MFR??

MembersZone Subscriber

MFR = Medical First Responder

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firetoole
    You will be going to a fire academy some ware in your county (or at your department) to get your Michigan Firefighter 1&2 and Hazmat ops. Takes about 4-6 months then you will most likely go for MFR or EMT.

Hope that helps

When in doubt ask someone on the department I am sure they will help you out with info.
    Why does it take so long?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245
    Why does it take so long?
    If it was easy,then anyone could be a firefighter.
    Seriously,there is a lot of information and skills that need to be taught so it's going to take a while.It might seem like you'll never get it but after a while you notice that"I've done this before,and it goes like this."and you start doing better and better.
    It took me two years of twice monthly meetings and at least four weekend training schools to get the 150 training hours that Kentucky requires before taking the FFI and II tests,but I stuck with it and got it all done.
    Take the training,answer the calls if you're a vollie that also trains on the job and above all LISTEN.Especially if an instructor tells you "You will see this material again.".That means the information you are about to receive will be on the test.Take copious notes so you can re-read them later.
    Hope this helps and good luck with it.

Forum Member

well im officially on the dept now, i start fire classes oct 2nd, just got my radio and gear today. I wont be able to ride in the truck for 3months, and i will just be able to go to the station and see how things work basically. just glad to get things started.

Forum Member
    On the flatest land around! (In central Il.)

Thumbs up

Congradulations!!! Hope it all works out for ya. Sounds like your off to a good start.

Future Firefighter

I need to move out there where they take guys with no background or training! Out here paramedics with years of exp and certs up the butt still can't get a job...But congrats on getting onto a department!

Thread Information