Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Any paid volunteers here?

Just as the title says, im just curious to see if there are any and what your wage is like... Im just getting started in it...

MembersZone Subscriber

Nope...no such thing as a paid volunteer. You are either paid, or not. Even if you are paid on call, that is still different than being a volunteer

MembersZone Subscriber

Our department pays us $8.00 per call. We do tend to call ourselves "volunteers", as opposed to our two "paid" firefighters who make a monthly salary and work their regular shifts at the station... we could argue the semantics of "volunteer" all day, I suppose. I freely give a lot of my time to the department every week, our payment is sporadic (I honestly don't remember the last time I got paid!) and under the table, and when we do get handed an envelope of green stuff it's good for going to a dinner with our respective sweeties perhaps... not something we count on for paying our rent or bills. When I joined, I didn't know any money was involved at all - the first time I got money I was very surprised. I still think of the money as an occasional "thank you gift" for volunteering, not as a paycheck.

But you can call me whatever you want to. And I'll call you whatever I want to.

-------;- "Aaaaa!!"
    Remember - always wear your helmet around one-eyed women with pike poles

When I was a member of a different department we were POC, but were expected to volunteer our time for drill, training meetrings, ETC..........

We were ONLY paid for the responses.
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

MembersZone Subscriber ROOKIELZ's Avatar

Our town and RM consider us a Volunteer Dept.
    We get paid $15.00/hr for active calls only.
    Meetings, PR events like standby at the demo derby, cancelled calls, time spent on maintenance, paperwork, are all free.

If people want to pay me for the most dangerous aspect of the job when I am performing it I am ok with that. I would do this job anyway but the tiny amount of money I make doesn't hurt my feelings.
    I tend to spend the vast majority of my time with the dept. working for free as we are not a busy station.
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

Forum Member

POC (classified by the state as a vollie). Approx. 10+ dollars an hour. More for officers and elected positions. Less for Jrs. and Probationary Firefighters. Paid for all calls that trucks respond to. If we are cancelled almost instantly we are not paid. But, if the base radio signs on, we are on the clock.
    End of year paid for trainings & meetings attended. Based on how many you have attended for the year.

Forum Member

Default paid??????????????????

if you are paid then you are NOT VOLUNTEER!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjfswkr
    Absolutley !

we are POC ...........$12-16/hr based on training and rank .........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber firefighterbeau's Avatar

One dept I volunteer for gives us $5/per call, and another pays $10

MembersZone Subscriber

If recieving $5 an hour qualifies as being paid then perhaps there should be 3 categories volunteer, paid and career. Because that 5 dollars an hour sure isn't going to pay the bills. A good portion of our pay winds up paying for extra department aproved gear for example nicer structure gloves, extication gloves, plus I have personally purchased hand tools I have wanted on the rescue.(I dont have to get dept aproval for that since I am the one who would be doing the aproving for any rescue or ems purchase) Having a proffesional career I have a stack of dress clothes that were no longer nice enough for work after responding to working fires. Our entire dept. yearly compensation budget is $20,000 this includes the chief, As. chief and officers and a someone to do paperwork 3 hours a day, all this for 40 active members.

Also remember one overlooked donation that your dept. recieves when ever an employer in your town allows a FF to leave work they are loosing money.

Personally I don't see why people get so worked up over this if your city or district wants to show its appreciation for work we would do anyway good for them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Quarterly pay

My town gives us a quarterly check. It's supposed to reimburse us for the gas we use in POV, clothes that might have been ruined, etc. The town just had us fill out tax form 1099 for this year. Which means we'll be paying taxes on the money in the end. For some of the members it means that they will actually be paying to be a volunteer. Nice how that works out. The quarterly pay is based on attendance. If you shouw up for calls and Monday night Training you'll get your full check. If your a slacker and not pulling your weight within your assigned company it is up to the company Captain to adjust your pay accordingly. Our reimbursement checks also coincide with our Lenth of Service Award Program. Meaning, if you do not get full pay every quarter you need to do some sort of extra activity to get your full LOSAP points for the year. Which can be coming down and cleaning the bays at the fire house. As long as it is a work detail or something that has been approved by the executive board.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

The different interpretations of "Volunteer" are always entertaining.

POC here as well, with calls and training/meetings outside of the weekly drill paid at $15 per hour. Weekly drills receive 1 hour for expenses, and for travel to training/meetings and such, all other expenses are covered.

Flat rate of $15 per hour is for everyone, but officers get monthly "honorariums" (polite way of saying partial salary, but no benefits) in excesss of that.

We are still classified as Volunteer in these parts though, as true uncompensated "volunteer" departments are very rare outside of the extreme rural areas.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

We are just lucky that we don't have to pay the dept. per call (money is tight).
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Our "volunteers" are paid a stipend for making calls and training. I think it is currently $10 per call for working incidents, $5 per call for all other incidents and $10 per training meeting.

When I was a "volunteer" in 2000-02 at another department, we made $15 per hour for the first hour of a fire and $10 per hour after that. I believe that all other calls were $10 per hour and training was $10, too.

Quote Originally Posted by kjfswkr
    Disagree. There are several dictonary definitions of the word volunteer. In the Webster Dictionary there are seven different definitions. Numbers one through six mention nothing about compensation, they all deal with things like "acting on ones free will", "acting without interference".

Even though our dept. pays us an hourly rate for all we do, we are still volunteers. If a tone drops right now and I decide not to go, I have that choice because I am a volunteer. If I weren't a volunteer, I would lose my job if I didn't respond. I am acting on my free will will by "voluntarily" responding to a call. Whether or not I am getting paid for what I do, I still voluntarily chose what to attend and what not.

I don't think you can say a dept. like ours is "Paid on Call" either because that would assume that we were actually "on call" as individuals. That is not the case. When the tones drop, whoever is available will voluntarily respond to the call.

Just some semantics to spice up a dead horse

And to answer the original question. We get paid between $9 and $15 per hour depending on training levels. (officers are different)
    Last edited by ameryfd; 08-17-2006 at 04:18 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

We don't get paid, but the city pays into the state fire pension program on our behalf. They pay $24/month/volunteer. If we actually put in 20 years or something, we will retire and make $100-$150/month in retirement.

We're a combo dept., about 75% career and 25% vollies.

And that's good, since I don't get a retirement program right now in my paid job...

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Poc

I was on a POC dept. "yes'' we were vollies. We were paid $25 for every member that arrived at a call. The city paid this money. Most vollies placed this money back into the VFDs account. We dident get many calls so most guys, dident really see a need to keep the money. Plus it paid the bills, and we could get better equipment.

MembersZone Subscriber

We are currently getting $5 per call only first 3 on scene to medical calls get paid the money, everybody on everything else. Have to attend 2/3 of training quarterly, paid on a quarterly basis. Little extra cash for officers, comes out to just under$.31 a day. So I pretty much lose money every time I turn the key to go anywhere. And I, like it was mentioned before, was suprised when I got a check. Sometimes I still am. Its not much, glad to get it, but that's not what it's about for me.

Quote Originally Posted by baileydonk
    Our department pays us $8.00 per call. We do tend to call ourselves "volunteers", as opposed to our two "paid" firefighters who make a monthly salary and work their regular shifts at the station... we could argue the semantics of "volunteer" all day, I suppose. I freely give a lot of my time to the department every week, our payment is sporadic (I honestly don't remember the last time I got paid!) and under the table, and when we do get handed an envelope of green stuff it's good for going to a dinner with our respective sweeties perhaps... not something we count on for paying our rent or bills. When I joined, I didn't know any money was involved at all - the first time I got money I was very surprised. I still think of the money as an occasional "thank you gift" for volunteering, not as a paycheck.

But you can call me whatever you want to. And I'll call you whatever I want to.

Yep! I agree!!! However ours is twice a year, and most of it goes back into our Dept. Like when someone has a new area of service, alot of what was "paid" to us went right back into restarting our dive team...
    Giggity - Giggity!

Thread Information