Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Stuff you should know about the forums

After reading lots and lots of threads here at Firehouse.com I've come to a few conclusions that I would like to share, especially with newer members of the site.

1. Not all departments use the same terminology as yours. I.E. some call a car wreck an MVA while some call it an MVC while some call it a PI.

2. No two departments have the same SOP's. Ain't gonna happen. Everyone does things different. Live with it.

3. Some of us are paid, some are not, some make it a career. In the end we are all still firefighters, so once again, live with it. We can debate semantics all day long and get nowheres fast.

4. Please please please, try to use something resembling good grammer. I know I can't say I have perfect grammer or spelling, but it would make things alot easier for the rest of us if you proofread your stuff. Once again, it doesn't have to be perfect (this post is a perfect example of not perfect I'm sure), but do try.

5. We have a few dead horses here. Please don't beat them, they stink. Here's my two favorites; leather helmets and pov lights.

6. Regarding POV lights, the law varies greatly from state to state and within that state. Some states allow full emergency vehicle status, while with others it is only a curtesy light. Some state have blue lights, some states have red lights. Please do not assume that what holds true for your area holds true for the rest of us.

7. Do a search. If you're here to ask a question odds are good someone else has already asked that question. It's a really simple process. Go up to the red nav bar at the top. It's right next to new posts. If you can't find what you are looking for by doing a search, by all means post a new thread.

8. There are a few people in here that like to **** the rest of us off. Just ignore them. Easy way to do that is to click on their name, go to their profile and click "ignore".

9. I know I've said it before but everyone here does things differently at their station. If you have a system that works well go ahead and tell us about it, but don't knock someone elses system because it ain't yours.

Well I was hoping for 10, but I can't come up with anymore right now. Feel free to add to this.
    Last edited by needlejockey; 08-16-2006 at 03:47 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

10. Any astute observasions and recommendations made will be completely ignored by the masses unless said observations and recommendations further thier personal agenda. Such is life in the forums.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Whose agenda? The poster's or the readers?
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

Either one may apply, depending on the circumstances, but generally the reader's.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

10) Dont forget the one about making totally useless threads and wasting precious minutes of our lives. O wait you just did that

I will agree that he should of at least put this in the off-duty forum, so we could "choose" to waste that time.

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah I know. I couldn't help put post this though. After reading all these threads over the years the biggest thing that kept irritating me was how so many people would just assume that because something was one way in their area it was the same way every else too. Like POV Lights. Jeez.
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

MembersZone Subscriber

So noted. Who wants to help me move this thing over there?
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

MembersZone Subscriber

Good post. I always get a kick out of post that goes something like this:

Our Car 2 did a 10-22 at the 33 last week. I think he should have 10-11, or at LEAST 10-55.

The other alpha crew disagrees and thinks he did the 10-22 to the proper level.

Does anyone have an SOP/SOG on responding to Code 22 or 23's?
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Quote Originally Posted by needlejockey

8. There are a few people in here that like to **** the rest of us off. Just ignore them. Easy way to do that is to click on their name, go to their profile and click "ignore".
    So whats wrong with this?

PS- The California way is usually the best.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 08-16-2006 at 07:18 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU
    So whats wrong with this?
    You know who they are. Trolls like Trojan and his ilk. People who come on here to specifically irritate us. They have no good points, they don't want to debate, they want to stir the poo.
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by needlejockey
    I know I can't say I have perfect grammer or spelling, but it would make things alot easier for the rest of us if you proofread your stuff.
    "Grammar" ends in "ar" not "er"
    Did you know that a common grammatical error is to write "alot" as one word when in fact it should be "a lot"??

Sorry had to do it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554
    "Grammar" ends in "ar" not "er"
    Did you know that a common grammatical error is to write "alot" as one word when in fact it should be "a lot"??

Sorry had to do it.
    I'm from the south, it's ok.
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

curtesy: A polite bow.....in a dress (see curtesy light)

Courtesy

Main Entry: 1cour·te·sy
    Pronunciation: 'k&r-t&-sE, Brit also 'kor-
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural -sies
    Etymology: Middle English corteisie, from Anglo-French curteisie, from curteis
    1 a : courteous behavior b : a courteous act or expression
    2 a : general allowance despite facts : INDULGENCE b : consideration, cooperation, and generosity in providing something (as a gift or privilege); also : AGENCY, MEANS -- used chiefly in the phrases through the courtesy of or by courtesy of or sometimes simply courtesy of

Just a little needle.....
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Forum Member

Default Using the Search Feature

You know, one thing that sometimes irks me about this forum is the certain group of people who always respond with a post instructing someone to use the search feature as this particular topic has been discussed ad nauseum in the past. Or the ones who post the above message and follow up with a bunch of links to the aformentioned searched topics. My question is this... If everyone searched the forumns, and viewed the previously discussed items instead of actually asking the question, how would the forumn grow? There are always new members, and people coming and going. I don't think it is a big deal that people post a question instead of searching the topic. I would hope though that if they are truly interested in the topic they would both search, and post the question again. We all have the right to or right not to view the topics. I personally am sick of reading about juniors with blue, yellow, red, blue or whatever color lights on thier POV's therefore I choose not to read those posts. That is my choice, however when someone posts a question, I think it is rude to come back with a list of searched topics, or a post telling them that the dead horse has been beaten enough, and they should use the search feature. Again, these are just my opinions and if you choose not to read them, than that is your right.

Thanks,

JG

Forum Member

Been posted before, here it is... the video: http://albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Ltmdepas3280
    curtesy: A polite bow.....in a dress (see curtesy light)

Courtesy

Main Entry: 1cour·te·sy
    Pronunciation: 'k&r-t&-sE, Brit also 'kor-
    Inflected Form(s): plural -sies
    Etymology: Middle English corteisie, from Anglo-French curteisie, from curteis
    1 a : courteous behavior b : a courteous act or expression
    2 a : general allowance despite facts : INDULGENCE b : consideration, cooperation, and generosity in providing something (as a gift or privilege); also : AGENCY, MEANS -- used chiefly in the phrases through the courtesy of or by courtesy of or sometimes simply courtesy of

Just a little needle.....
    Mike, Mike, Mike ... it's too tempting, so I'm going to needle the needler hahaha LOL *laughs and runs off before Mike can slap me*

The word which was incorrectly used was CURTSEY.

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...ghlight=curtsy

Main Entry: 1curt·sy
    Pronunciation: 'k&rt-sE
    Variant(s): also curt·sey
    Inflected Form(s): plural curtsies also curtseys
    : an act of civility, respect, or reverence made mainly by women and consisting of a slight lowering of the body with bending of the knees

September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

where is the forum docrum ? and the New users thread ? ............LOL ..........always fun here.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary
    Mike, Mike, Mike ... it's too tempting, so I'm going to needle the needler hahaha LOL *laughs and runs off before Mike can slap me*

The word which was incorrectly used was CURTSEY.

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...ghlight=curtsy

Main Entry: 1curt·sy
    Pronunciation: 'k&rt-sE
    Variant(s): also curt·sey
    Inflected Form(s): plural curtsies also curtseys
    : an act of civility, respect, or reverence made mainly by women and consisting of a slight lowering of the body with bending of the knees

So did I misspell it or what? And how many S's are in misspell? Missspell? Looks like a hiss.
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Quote Originally Posted by FTMPTB15
    Been posted before, here it is... the video: http://albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php
    That is a classic
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Thread Information