Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question Hose over the shoulder

I have seen a few nozzlemen prefer to place the hose over their shoulders and work the nozzle from there when fighting vehicle or brush fires. They claim it makes the nozzle easier to manage (less back pressure) from the hose over the shoulder position. Personally, I prefer to keep the nozzle under my shoulder. I really don't see a huge difference, maybe I'm missing something.

Any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdurkin44
    I have seen a few nozzlemen prefer to place the hose over their shoulders and work the nozzle from there when fighting vehicle or brush fires. They claim it makes the nozzle easier to manage (less back pressure) from the hose over the shoulder position. Personally, I prefer to keep the nozzle under my shoulder. I really don't see a huge difference, maybe I'm missing something.

Any thoughts on this?
    I have been taught that it is eaiser for grassfires. Car fires I use it when you have majority of the fire out and are getting hot spots and/or flare ups. IT eaiser to hit spots down in the passenger compartment from above rather than horizontally. I think this is also why it is used in brushfires, but, I really have no idea.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

It's mostly a positional thing.

It makes sense to throw a line over your shoulder and crack the nozzle if you have a small hot spot in a vehicle that is low in the passenger compartment.

For brush, the over-the-shoulder position helps to get the water to "dig" into the soil, rather than skim on top of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

The nozzle needs to be directed to many different areas during a fire and the back-up man should adjust the hose to make the Nozzle mans job of directing the stream easier. If he wants to aim up...the back up man should lower the hose down...if the nozzle needs to point down...the hose should be hoisted up high and supported from there.

FTM-PTB

The only real reason I toss the line over my shoulder is to make a point on the line for it to bend. Allowing me to point the nozzle down, especially for cars, dumpsters, ground rubish, etc.
    Usually for us, if we are first in on a vehicle, usually just 1 man is on the line and the other will try and pop the hood, or cut it for access.
    On structures, the 2nd man on the line will aid in directing the nozzle, much like Fred statted.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdurkin44

Any thoughts on this?
    How much PSI is required to put out a Car or Brush/rubbish fire? Not much at all. Some areas can be reached better by putting it over your shoulder...especially for the vertically challenged folks There is not such thing as a constant in the Fire service its all dynamic...so we need to change with the situation.
    IACOJ Member

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB
    How much PSI is required to put out a Car or Brush/rubbish fire? Not much at all. Some areas can be reached better by putting it over your shoulder...especially for the vertically challenged folks There is not such thing as a constant in the Fire service its all dynamic...so we need to change with the situation.
    Im beginning to think its just a certain house in the North Bronx that is vertically challenged.....
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl
    Im beginning to think its just a certain house in the North Bronx that is vertically challenged.....

Hey...its the Senior Officers Rule....NO ONE taller then him in the Engine. The truck has all the monsters. Some of those guys get nose bleeds from being so tall.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Some drivers think that you don't have enough pressure in the line until the nozzleman has both feet in the air.

Thread Information