Thread: E-One problems

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    Several have triggered the end of the discussion by using that famous line "Oh you don't need that". It's my money, and I'm buying what I want to buy, not what the dealer wants me to buy.
    Oh come on now Chief, you think that just because you have 5 bugles and the money you have the power? How silly of you to think that?
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    Ask for a list of communities that have apparatus made by the manufacturers you are interested in. Spend some time visiting and talking to not only the administration, but the firefighters who work off the rigs daily and the mechanics that maintain them before making the decision.
    This is proabably the best thing we've done in recent years. We found one huge Union/Chief battle over an out of service tower,and in another city: major issues on a truck in service for just 2-3 days that the crew was writing off as "the way they are"!
    We spent 3 days looking at 23 tower ladders and are now quite confident in the truck we ordered. Some people were very happry with their trucks, others hated them, some hated tower vs. their old sticks, some couldn't care less who made it as lond as it worked, and sadly some had no clue about their apparatus.

On E-One, we were disappointed as our local rep was great and went the extra mile every time, but the product was sub-par and the corp.? Wow, any large company that refuses to tell the line firefighters what was wrong with their truck and participates in a gag order, has something to hide. See Waltham, MA for troubles with their mid-mount. Or the new issues coming from Lincoln, NB.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Yup!!.........

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie
    Oh come on now Chief, you think that just because you have 5 bugles and the money you have the power? How silly of you to think that?
    I dunno, Bro. It worked, we got the last word in. The last word was "Bye".
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Exclamation

I have got to stand beside my Brother Harve on this. The city/county and or company are buying the apparatus. Not the sales rep. We want it to do this and that. Can you build it? If not we will find some one who can. Maryland has told the sales reps and makers of apparatus to stick the NFPA up the old yazoo. It doesnít work in Maryland and we don't want to hear it. If the others states where like Maryland in this, then fire apparatus could be made to a better standard and quality. Why should lights go out when the maxi brake is applied? Dumb reasoningís that someone on the NFPA committee thought would be a good idea. In fact the department can fix this after the ride comes in, to have all the lights function when the brake is applied.

Specifying a pump, engine and tranny are what the local city/county or departments wants. It isnít what the manufacture or the dealer wants, heís not buying this ride. Say what you want the ride to have and stick with it. A few sales reps in this area will work with you. Those that donít want to, then as Harve said, he has the last word and it is - BYE!!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    I dunno, Bro. It worked, we got the last word in. The last word was "Bye".
    I am still willing to bet that the sales agent didn't learn anything from that encounter either. Probably spouting off the same line to a bunch of other folks because they will believe him.

Another point a former department of mine ran into was spec'ing out a rig with multiple suppliers for major parts. You start having an E-One body/cab, a Smeal stick, etc... it just makes repairs, workmanship, warranty issues, and other problems all the more difficult because these companies get into ******ing contests about who is responsible for fixing what broke. All the while the truck is out of service - and you still get to pay for it.

I used to work for a department where the chief would purchase any piece for the town so long as it said "E One" on it.

Another department a freind of mine works for had a chief that over rode the commitee for the piece because he wanted a Pierce. Great chief, very nice guy, loves the department, loves his guys and would do almost anything for them......but he doesn't have to drive or operate from that rig every day. The guys on the commitee do.

Sometimes people forget that they need the best piece of equipment for the community that they serve. It may not be the most inexpensive, it may not be the prettiest, but it damned well ought to be the best piece of equipment for the money.

It seems that some of these apparatus manufacturers get very comfortable when they get ensconched in an area. E-One dominated the Boston area for a very long time beginning in the mid-80s. Now they have lost favor in some areas.

FDNY has bought Seagraves for years, but now it seems that there is a tremendous amount of noise about the decrease in quality of their units. (incidentally, Seagrave was bought out by a larger corporation or group of venture capitalists in teh last couple of years if I recall.)

Point being, these big companies get too entrenched and get too comfortable and let things slide.

It is the lives of the firefighters, EMS folks, and ultimately the community members on the line when something fails due to shoddy work, accepting things because "that's the way they are", or because of improperly researching the components of the unit.

Like the good Chief says, make them walk if they are blowing smoke up your @$$.
    Last edited by DaSharkie; 08-21-2006 at 04:11 PM.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Thread Information